Thread poster: David Wright
David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:15
German to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2010

Any ideas on how to get an accurate word count for an entire power point file?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
go to properties Feb 9, 2010

Presumably you know how to go to prepare>properties>advanced properties>statistics?

Are you talking about counting words in pictures and things?

Or differences between different versions of Ppt? (I've seen BIG differences between 2003 and 2007).

David Wright
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Feb 9, 2010

No, I did not know about that (nor did I find it in an admittedly quick search through the help files)

(office 2007, by the way)

[Edited at 2010-02-09 09:03 GMT]

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Right-click the file and look in Properties Feb 9, 2010

(I think that's what it's called - not sure about English name, as I use the German versions), and open the Statistics tab. There's a wordcount there, but I've never checked it against another wordcount program, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.

There used to be a way to save ppt files as Word files and use the Word wordcount option, but I don't know if it's still possible to do that - this was a number of years ago with an older MS Office version, and nowadays I usually just go wi
... See more
(I think that's what it's called - not sure about English name, as I use the German versions), and open the Statistics tab. There's a wordcount there, but I've never checked it against another wordcount program, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.

There used to be a way to save ppt files as Word files and use the Word wordcount option, but I don't know if it's still possible to do that - this was a number of years ago with an older MS Office version, and nowadays I usually just go with the wordcount given in the ppt Statistics window.

Using Trados or some other CAT analysis tool might work on a ppt file, but I've never tried it, so I'm not sure if that's a possibility. Someone else might be able to answer that.

PS: I see someone else has answered, but there might still be some useful info here.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Be careful with that Feb 9, 2010

Woodstock wrote:

Using Trados or some other CAT analysis tool might work on a ppt file, but I've never tried it, so I'm not sure if that's a possibility. Someone else might be able to answer that.

I am under the impression that some CAT tools as well as word count software will count the links to images as words, so it is better to use the Properties option.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
CAT tool wordcount for ppt Feb 9, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I am under the impression that some CAT tools as well as word count software will count the links to images as words, so it is better to use the Properties option.

Thanks for clarifying. In that case it's a good thing I've never tried it!

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Feb 9, 2010

I've always found the in-built wordcount to be often wildly adrift, and since I use Werecat anyway to extract my text for translation, I simply do my word count in Word anyway — though of course you do have to be careful to delete all the tags first! However, as they all have the same style, it's easy enough to get into the habit of searching-and-repalcing for 'any character' in that style, and replacing with nothing, which then yields a clean text to wordcount (either in Word, or of course, i... See more
I've always found the in-built wordcount to be often wildly adrift, and since I use Werecat anyway to extract my text for translation, I simply do my word count in Word anyway — though of course you do have to be careful to delete all the tags first! However, as they all have the same style, it's easy enough to get into the habit of searching-and-repalcing for 'any character' in that style, and replacing with nothing, which then yields a clean text to wordcount (either in Word, or of course, in your favourite wordcount utiliy).

I've found this to be a reliable and consistent method, which has certainly saved me a lot of money by avoiding under-billing!
Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
text extractor Feb 9, 2010

There is a small add-on for Power Point that extracts ALL the text from a PPT file into a Word file so you can count the words.

You can download it here (it's free):

http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/

[Edited at 2010-02-09 16:35 GMT]

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:15
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for the tip! Feb 9, 2010

Almir Comor MITI wrote:

There is a small add-on for Power Point that extracts ALL the text from a PPT file into a Word file so you can count the words.

I just downloaded it and it does the job!

David Wright
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And thanks from me too! Feb 9, 2010

Does exactly what I was looking for

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same price per word for ppt? Feb 9, 2010

While interested to find that it is quite straightforward after all to extract a word count from a ppt doc, I have no plans to change my billing system for work in this format, which is by the hour, since it is far more time consuming than, say, Word format.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
You can save from PowerPoint directly tp RTF or TXT as well Feb 9, 2010

Almir Comor MITI wrote:

Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:15
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Superthanks! Feb 15, 2010

Almir Comor MITI wrote:

It works like a dream. Thanks a lot!
Mirella

AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Almir - Feb 15, 2010

that's great!!

Thanks a lot!

Anne-Marie

StanislavK
StanislavK
Ukraine
Local time: 15:15
One more tool Mar 15, 2010

AnyCount does the job, without the need to export and allows to customize what parts of the file to count. It supports other common formats too.

Available for download at http://www.anycount.com/download.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power point, word count

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »