Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:53
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Almost Dec 16, 2009

Egiz wrote:
ABBYY Finereader 8.0(!) - in my opinion the last good version of FineReader so far.
(additional manual formatting will be required).

Version 7 of FineReader is better in some cases. As of Version 8, Abbyy started respecting some of the security features from Adobe, which poses problems with some PDF files. Of course, sticking with Version 7 means that I can't read some of the latest PDF formats, but I reprint those files using an old PDF driver (like Ghostscript) and all is well.

One of these days I may try to put together a collection of test files covering the full range of PDF options, including all the variants of PDF/A which are now gaining popularity among those who want to follow ISO standards for long-term archiving. Then when someone claims that their fave tool will handle all cases, I'll simply invite them to download the test set and see if that is really the case. I find that most people have little idea of the huge variety that lies beneath the term "PDF". I have yet to see a tool that handles every case well.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 02:53
francés al alemán
+ ...
Quite a revealing experiment Dec 16, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

One of these days I may try to put together a collection of test files covering the full range of PDF options, including all the variants of PDF/A which are now gaining popularity among those who want to follow ISO standards for long-term archiving. Then when someone claims that their fave tool will handle all cases, I'll simply invite them to download the test set and see if that is really the case. I find that most people have little idea of the huge variety that lies beneath the term "PDF". I have yet to see a tool that handles every case well.

This would be quite a revealing experiment, I believe...

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lituania
Local time: 03:53
Miembro 2010
inglés al ruso
+ ...
PDF is strictly not suitable for our work Dec 16, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

PDF is by design not editable.

YES, YES and one more time YES. Jerzy is absolutely right.

PDF was created by Adobe to represent two-dimensional documents in a manner independent of the application software, hardware, and operating system. The main purpose of the format is to keep the appearance of the document, it should not to be changed in any way in order to look the same on any screen. Translation IS a change: we change text written in one language into a text written in another language thus PDF is strictly not suitable for our work. Any translator should know that and educate his/her clients...

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And BTW, this is approximately the 1,089th question about PDF here on ProZ. Using the search function does not hurt...

Agree: it does not hurt to use the search function... it never does...

[Edited at 2009-12-16 23:56 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 02:53
Miembro 2005
inglés al checo
+ ...
Clarification? Dec 17, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Of course, sticking with Version 7 means that I can't read some of the latest PDF formats, but I reprint those files using an old PDF driver (like Ghostscript) and all is well.

I am a bit puzzled by that - my idea was, once I take this "pdf-re-printing" approach, I can remove those "security features" from the the respective pdf file within this process. Or am I missing something here?

Perhaps for long time archiving, pdf/A is good, but in my practical experience such files are problematic from the processing point of view; but printing them out with PDF factory strips it of the feature. (well, if I want to - it lets you decide if yo do or do not want the /A option)

Antonin

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egipto
Local time: 03:53
alemán al árabe
+ ...
Try ABByy FineReader or PDF transformer Dec 22, 2009

Try ABByy FineReader version 8 or PDF transformer

Version 8 is better than 9 and 10, only because you can use the trial version to convert up to 50 pages, where as in versions 9 and 10 this is limited to 3 pages and 1 page.

Regarding quality ABBYY's software is perfect in the following aspects:

- Very good recognition accuracy,
- Very good layout without using text boxes (which is especially very important for us in Arabic when you try after translati
... See more
Try ABByy FineReader version 8 or PDF transformer

Version 8 is better than 9 and 10, only because you can use the trial version to convert up to 50 pages, where as in versions 9 and 10 this is limited to 3 pages and 1 page.

Regarding quality ABBYY's software is perfect in the following aspects:

- Very good recognition accuracy,
- Very good layout without using text boxes (which is especially very important for us in Arabic when you try after translation to mirror the layout to read from right to left),
- The huge number of available recognition languages.

Thanks and best regards
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:53
alemán al inglés
+ ...
What re-printing to PDF does Dec 22, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:
I am a bit puzzled by that - my idea was, once I take this "pdf-re-printing" approach, I can remove those "security features" from the the respective pdf file within this process. Or am I missing something here?

No, security features are not removed by re-printing. In fact, sometimes the security feature is that you cannot print at all. What the re-printing to PDF does is remove advanced format features or file structures that are not supported in earlier PDF versions, thus rendering the file workable for an old OCR program. If you have a recent PDF format with the print function blocked by a security setting, you are out of luck and have to find a different solution.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italia
Translating a PDF Dec 22, 2009

with Foxit PDF editor (or similar) and Trados T-Window for Clipboard you can directly translate a PDF, using a TM too, but it is advisable only for short and not too complex file layouts

clearly, you need an editable PDF, not a fax, hand-written or one-picture PDF

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-12-22 23:54 GMT]

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a PDF

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »