Problem with Word 2007 (most likely caused by Trados)
Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 1, 2009

Hi,

I have a problem with MS Word. It first occurred 3 days ago and even reinstalation of entire MS Office did not help.

When I open new document in Word I cannot use my mouse within the document. I cannot perform any action with my mouse - for example I cannot mark text using mouse, but I can do it using the keyboard.

But just imagine trying to resize text boxes using just keys!

... See more
Hi,

I have a problem with MS Word. It first occurred 3 days ago and even reinstalation of entire MS Office did not help.

When I open new document in Word I cannot use my mouse within the document. I cannot perform any action with my mouse - for example I cannot mark text using mouse, but I can do it using the keyboard.

But just imagine trying to resize text boxes using just keys!

This problem does not occur in any other application neither part of MS Office nor any other.

I suspect that it has something to do with Trados - I remember reading some posts where Trados caused change of the default template but I cannot find any advice what to do about it.

Btw. I don;t think that this problem is caused by a mouse - I am working on a laptop and I have tried both touch pad and 2 alternative mice.

I hoped that reinstallation of MS Word will helpo but I've just done it and I still have this problem

I will be very grateful for any suggestions - it's really bad time for re installation of the OS

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I have found the solution Nov 1, 2009

I have deleted template normal.dotx and it worked like a dream - apparently when such template is deleted Word recreates it automatically using default settings.

)

Cheers
Stanislaw

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dont touch OS Nov 1, 2009

Hey

Sorry to say I don't have any advice, cause it sometimes happens to me as well (though only when I turn Trados off, say because I want to work with Wordfast), fortunately restarting Word solves it for me so it has not been much of a problem.

However whatever you do please let me say DO NOT REINSTALL YOU OS, this is not a problem with the OS, this is a Trados problem, so reinstalling your OS is very unlikely (to nou say impossible) to solve your problem, and may caus
... See more
Hey

Sorry to say I don't have any advice, cause it sometimes happens to me as well (though only when I turn Trados off, say because I want to work with Wordfast), fortunately restarting Word solves it for me so it has not been much of a problem.

However whatever you do please let me say DO NOT REINSTALL YOU OS, this is not a problem with the OS, this is a Trados problem, so reinstalling your OS is very unlikely (to nou say impossible) to solve your problem, and may cause you many more problems and will certainly cost you a lot of time in reinstalling and reconfiguring everything.

So my piece of advice is whatever you do leave you OS alone, you will only regret it if you don't.
Collapse

Hamid Aydin
Hamid Aydin  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:43
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
A link for your problem Nov 1, 2009

I have encountered the same problem and the following link has a solution:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/140-annoying-word-2007-problem-cant-select-text.html

While reading posts, I see that many people faced with this problem of Word 2007.

Post #7 will be helpful.

[Edited at 2009-11-01 13:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Word 2007 (most likely caused by Trados)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »