Reed James
Reed James
شيلي
Local time: 05:04
عضو (2005)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
May 20, 2009

Hello.

I have been using Systran Premium 6 to extract terminology from source files and export the results to a .csv file. When I open the .csv file in Excel, Spanish accented characters are represented by funny characters that bear no resemblance to what they should be. Instead of deleting these characters and replacing them with the proper ones, is there anything I can do to get the .csv file to read properly? TIA

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
بولندا
Local time: 11:04
عضو (2009)
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
+ ...
Use anything that opens text files and lets you choose the encoding May 20, 2009

CSV files are just text files, and you can open them e.g. in Word. It will display a "Text Import Wizard" where you can select and preview various encodings. Once you find the right one, choose it and open the file. Save it as another text file, close and change the extension from .txt to .csv.

HTH

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى تشيكي
+ ...
Freeware CSVed, uniCSVed May 21, 2009

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm

Antonin

Fazil Aktekin
Fazil Aktekin
تركيا
Local time: 12:04
أنجليزي إلى تركي
+ ...
It's unicode problem May 21, 2009

There is a simple way to correct it; loading the appropiate language into Windows by visiting Control Panel-> Regional and Language Settings and adding appropiate language and then in the Regional and Language Settings, at the "language" tab, under "Text Services and Input Languages", click on "Details". On the popped up window, choose "advance" tab and confirm the "Extend support of advanced text services to all programs" check box. Thus you can see any unicode character even in Notepad.
... See more
There is a simple way to correct it; loading the appropiate language into Windows by visiting Control Panel-> Regional and Language Settings and adding appropiate language and then in the Regional and Language Settings, at the "language" tab, under "Text Services and Input Languages", click on "Details". On the popped up window, choose "advance" tab and confirm the "Extend support of advanced text services to all programs" check box. Thus you can see any unicode character even in Notepad.
PS: My OS is Windows XP Professional.
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
فرنسا
لغات متعددة
+ ...
other post about systran dictionary exports causing issues Aug 29, 2009

I just posted something about Systran importing and exporting to another forum here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/135962-systran6pro_to_trados2007.html#1205638

See if that info might be of help.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correcting "junk" characters in .csv file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »