Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Has Microsoft jinxed the world economy again?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2021

I haven't received a single email today.

Forget work stuff, not even spam... so I boot up my laptop and it's like "hi you wanna update to Windows 11?" (And also an immediate and possibly related random error popup)

Coincidence?

Reminds me of the supposedly-subprime-mortgage-whatever nonsense that just HAPPENED to coincide with Microsoft updating MS Office to a new interface.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:15
French to English
. Oct 27, 2021

I've received emails today on all three addresses I use regularly.

alikumail127
Mr. Satan (X)

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dang Oct 27, 2021

Must be Russia gearing up for the upcoming totally-not-a-lockdown week, then

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
It happens sometimes Oct 27, 2021

Outlook does that sometimes, so the Russian government probably wasn't involved. Perhaps auto-forward your emails to Yandex Mail, just in case?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nah Oct 27, 2021

That wasn't it.

Russia is just in 'Friday mode' preparing to go back to "paid vacation" (read: politically less toxic name for full lockdown).

Eastern European bureaucracy tends to produce jack-all in the several days before and after any sort of break.

I'm still getting stuff from Ukrainians, so no, Microsoft didn't break anything. Putin did.

[Edited at 2021-10-27 16:07 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:15
Greek to English
Is this one now the last? Oct 28, 2021

Adieu wrote:
Microsoft didn't break anything.

They seem to have broken something, if only their word.

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be the last version ever? Now we're hearing about Windows 11.

I got a message on the newest of my computers, less than 1 year old, saying it did not meet the technical requirements for an "upgrade" to Windows 11.

Well, thank heaven for that!

Mr. Satan (X)
Baran Keki

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't ask me Oct 28, 2021

I'm still hoping for Android to make the push into office productivity computing

Once (...if) they get full-featured MemoQ and tax software, I see no reason to ever buy another Microsoft-Intel monstrosity ever again

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Have you ever heard of Tux, our Lord and Savior? Oct 28, 2021

I switched to Linux over 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Subtitle Edit even run better on Linux than on Windows 10. Aegisub is also being actively developed in some distros. And most software I've been using for a long time are cross-platform anyway, so I'm not really missing anything.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 08:52 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
. Oct 28, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

I switched to Linux over 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Subtitle Edit even run better on Linux than on Windows 10. Aegisub is also being actively developed in some distros. And most software I've been using for a long time are cross-platform anyway, so I'm not really missing anything.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 08:52 GMT]

I stopped using Linux earlier this year, and I still wish I could continue using it. The thing is if you're using Studio or if your work really depends on MS Office, Linux isn't a viable option. I was dual-booting, so whenever I didn't need Windows, I was on Linux. As for the subtitling apps, Linux is the best (for many other things also, I believe). Finally I switched to Mac and I am using Windows on Parallels. Unfortunately, many of the Linux distros are not ready for the M1 chip yet.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mair A-W (PhD)

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
GNU/Linux and CafeTran FTW Oct 29, 2021

I use Regolith Linux, which is extremely keyboard friendly, light on resources and uses a very efficient tiling window manager. When I open a second application in the same workspace, the screen is split automatically (with can be fine tuned with the resize mode) and I can navigate from one window to another with just a key and an arrow. The ease of swapping between workspaces made laptop use so much easier. I don't even miss my dual screen setup... See more
I use Regolith Linux, which is extremely keyboard friendly, light on resources and uses a very efficient tiling window manager. When I open a second application in the same workspace, the screen is split automatically (with can be fine tuned with the resize mode) and I can navigate from one window to another with just a key and an arrow. The ease of swapping between workspaces made laptop use so much easier. I don't even miss my dual screen setup as I hit the road one year ago.

https://regolith-linux.org/

But have also a look at Pop OS and its window management features. Windows does not come even close...
https://pop.system76.com/

Instead of waiting for Trados or MemoQ to develop a full featured version for my OS, I have chosen
a CAT tool (CafeTran Espresso) which is fun to use, translator-friendly, cross-platform by design and still compatible with Trados and MemoQ files and packages (and more, but no server).

I just wish Aegisub was still working and being developed. Sadly, it is unusable now. It was my favorite subtitling program.

Some MS Office versions can run with CrossOver or PlayOnLinux without the need for a VM or dual boot.

But now, Windows has made it easy to install and run Linux alongside it, with no dual boot. So Windows users can give it a try.

[Edited at 2021-10-29 08:18 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Jean Oct 29, 2021

System76 hardware looks interesting. As Apple and M$ move on I'm beginning to get tired of their closed systems that try to lock you in. It's good to know that there are other operating systems. I look forward to a day when they are all compatible and all the hardware will be able to run any of the systems without the user needing nerdy computer skills.

[Edited at 2021-10-29 07:12 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And you're complaining? Oct 29, 2021

Adieu wrote:

And you're complaining?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, yes Oct 29, 2021

It's my usual source of income.

Tom in London wrote:

Adieu wrote:

And you're complaining?

Baran Keki

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Instead of waiting for Trados or MemoQ to develop a full featured version for my OS, I have chosen
a CAT tool (CafeTran Espresso) which is fun to use, translator-friendly, cross-platform by design and still compatible with Trados and MemoQ files and packages (and more, but no server).

I used CafeTran for around a year, but I didn't use Trados files on it. Is it possible to open Studio packages (ppx) and create a return package (rpx) on CafeTran?

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Some MS Office versions can run with CrossOver or PlayOnLinux without the need for a VM or dual boot.

Have you used CrossOver yourself? How is the performance for MS Office?

Thank you.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
@Metin Oct 29, 2021

Hello Metin,

Nice to see other Linux enthusiasts here

Metin Demirel wrote:

I used CafeTran for around a year, but I didn't use Trados files on it. Is it possible to open Studio packages (ppx) and create a return package (rpx) on CafeTran?

Indeed, CafeTran can open Studio packages (and imports -automatically- any attached SDLTM and SDLTB files as TMX). At the end of the project, you can create a studio package or a return package.

I think other translators are doing this with no issues. Personally, however, I keep a Trados version in a VM and just run a last check/finalization in Trados just to be on the safe side.

You will find some more information in my reference files (especially File Formats): https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

Metin Demirel wrote:

Have you used CrossOver yourself? How is the performance for MS Office?

Thank you.

I had a CrossOver subscription for two years, but let it lapse. Nowadays, I rarely use MS Office as it is not needed in my workflow. I mostly use LibreOffice. With CrossOver, I run MS Office 2010, including some add-ins like CodeZapper and TransTools. There was no issue that I recall. There is a free trial if you want to try. Word and Excel for MS Office 2016 and Office 365 seem to be running fine, but you may check for more details here: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility
CrossOver builds upon Wine - https://appdb.winehq.org -, and PlayOnLinux - https://www.playonlinux.com - is a free helper app that aims to achieve the same thing.

For translators who run Linux, I have created a website that could help, although an update is overdue: https://translateonlinux.org/

Cheers!

[Edited at 2021-10-29 16:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has Microsoft jinxed the world economy again?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »