Why is storing MemoQ projects on external harddrive not supported?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:19
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 2

I've done this for many years. It has worked without any problems until two days ago. The reasons that I need to store my projects on my external harddrive is that if my laptop breaks down I still have my projects in safety on my external harddrive. And also, I shift between different computers and need to be able to access my projects from different computers that I then just plug my external harddrive into.

The problem, that has never occurred before. This is what happened two day
... See more
I've done this for many years. It has worked without any problems until two days ago. The reasons that I need to store my projects on my external harddrive is that if my laptop breaks down I still have my projects in safety on my external harddrive. And also, I shift between different computers and need to be able to access my projects from different computers that I then just plug my external harddrive into.

The problem, that has never occurred before. This is what happened two days ago:

I opened my project in MemoQ 9.7 and started to translate. Then, when I tried to confirm the first segment, it says this:

Reindexing translation memory
The translation memory cannot be reindexed.
memoQ cannot find the requested translation memory; it may
have been deleted.
GUID: 8c1261e1-ca2e-4b4d-bba7-458ff39d020f

I immediately browsed to the folder where I keep this translation memory, and it was still there. I then right-clicked on the translation memory under Translation memories in MemoQ (that has a checkmark in the checkbox) and checked under Properties, and the file path corresponds to the file path where I store this translation memory.

What has happened? Earlier, this translation memory worked fine. I can add that I opened this project on my new gaming laptop Acer Nitro 5 for the first time.

I received a reply this morning from Kilgray support that it is not supported to store MemoQ projects on an external harddrive.

[Edited at 2024-01-02 04:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A possibility: keep your work in one desktop machine & use this remotely Jan 2

I was not aware that you could put projects on an external drive, but... "Contra facta non valent argumenta". It is unfortunately that you cannot continue to use the external drive.

What I do is keep my work in my main desktop computer (well, actually, on a memoQ-Server which I use from this desktop computer) and, when I am not at that computer, like when I work at home or use a laptop, I remote into this desktop computer and use it that way. This way I do not need to carry work fil
... See more
I was not aware that you could put projects on an external drive, but... "Contra facta non valent argumenta". It is unfortunately that you cannot continue to use the external drive.

What I do is keep my work in my main desktop computer (well, actually, on a memoQ-Server which I use from this desktop computer) and, when I am not at that computer, like when I work at home or use a laptop, I remote into this desktop computer and use it that way. This way I do not need to carry work files, specs, or anything with me. The only drawback is that the desktop computer freezes or power supply is interrupted and the computer does not reboot well, but such events happen perhaps once every year or so.

The product I use is VNC Server + VNC Viewer (https://www.realvnc.com/es/), which is very reliable (much more than TeamViewer, in my experience) and safe. It is pretty fast too. You just forget you are using a remote computer. For a single user, this costs roughly €30 p.a., which is affordable in my opinion.

Just an idea!
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still works to save on my external harddrive on my old laptop with only C: Jan 3

It still works to save on my external harddrive on my old laptop with only C:. My new laptop, a gaming laptop, has two drives - C: and D: - which might be the reason that I cannot use my external harddrive there for accessing MemoQ files.

[Edited at 2024-01-03 10:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is storing MemoQ projects on external harddrive not supported?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »