How do I add new aligned docs to translations?
Thread poster: Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
Nov 13, 2012

Hello,

I have a (revision) Project to which I have already added three pairs of aligned documents. I see these documents in the Livedocs corpus and in Translations.

The project is ongoing and now I want to add more pairs of documents.

I have added them to the Livedocs corpus with no problems and matched up the alignments nicely but they do not appear in the translations window.

How do I get them to appear there?

Or do I have to cre
... See more
Hello,

I have a (revision) Project to which I have already added three pairs of aligned documents. I see these documents in the Livedocs corpus and in Translations.

The project is ongoing and now I want to add more pairs of documents.

I have added them to the Livedocs corpus with no problems and matched up the alignments nicely but they do not appear in the translations window.

How do I get them to appear there?

Or do I have to create a new project each time I have new documents to add?

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 04:43
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Confirm auto links and mark alignment as finished Nov 13, 2012

Hi Kathleen,

Have you tried to confirm all auto-links of the alignment pair, and to mark the alignment as finished?

If you want to - but it is not needed - you can also send the alignment results to the TM.

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 02:43
remove and re-assign them? Nov 14, 2012

Hi there

Is the issue that the translations, you know are in the Livedocs, are not appearing in the translation results?

If so, did you run pre-translate again?

Is it worth removing the livedocs corporra from the project and then re-assigning it back to the project?

I hope you find an answer soon - support@kilgray if all else fails...
See more
Hi there

Is the issue that the translations, you know are in the Livedocs, are not appearing in the translation results?

If so, did you run pre-translate again?

Is it worth removing the livedocs corporra from the project and then re-assigning it back to the project?

I hope you find an answer soon - support@kilgray if all else fails
Collapse

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still not appearing in translations Nov 14, 2012

Thank you for your help. I have tried both of these suggestions but the documents still do not appear here.

In the end I imported them into the TM, which works ok although it seems a shame not to be making the most of an excellent tool. If it is set up correctly so that the aligned documents appear in the translations, it means that if there is an alignment error in a section of the document, you can click through from the translation to the aligned document to check the error.
... See more
Thank you for your help. I have tried both of these suggestions but the documents still do not appear here.

In the end I imported them into the TM, which works ok although it seems a shame not to be making the most of an excellent tool. If it is set up correctly so that the aligned documents appear in the translations, it means that if there is an alignment error in a section of the document, you can click through from the translation to the aligned document to check the error.

This worked with the first documents when I first created the project, but it is not working with new documents that I add to it.
Collapse

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved Nov 19, 2012

The original document must be added to the project's translations first, BEFORE the pairs are aligned in Livedocs.

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 02:43

Thanks for that answer Kathleen - I wasn't aware that that was how it worked, but I guess it goes along with Kilgray's view that once you add docs to a LiveDocs corporra, they are just to be left there and not to be edited/aligned.

For the record though, I have found that due to punctuation and formatting with many aligned docs, I have to spend a fair bit of time getting them into line - therefore I have always aligned them within the livedocs and confirmed them to the TM.
... See more
Thanks for that answer Kathleen - I wasn't aware that that was how it worked, but I guess it goes along with Kilgray's view that once you add docs to a LiveDocs corporra, they are just to be left there and not to be edited/aligned.

For the record though, I have found that due to punctuation and formatting with many aligned docs, I have to spend a fair bit of time getting them into line - therefore I have always aligned them within the livedocs and confirmed them to the TM.

All the best
Collapse

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
aligning Nov 20, 2012

Yes I had to spend some time aligning too, although these documents were fairly good.

The misalignments occur where there are full stops...

St. Stephen's Cathedral

It splits into two segments.

I found I had to align it in the live docs and then join the segments in the translation.

There is probably an easier way :-/

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
save time aligning Nov 21, 2012

After playing around with this feature, it seems the best way to align documents is not to spend time in LiveDocs on each document to fix up misalignments, just import the docs into translations first, then add the alignment pairs in livedocs, then pre-translate the documents. If you find any misalignments as you are translating/reviewing you can link through to the original docs to see where the problem is. It's working well for me anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I add new aligned docs to translations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »