Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Your desk/workstation essentials!
Thread poster: Tom Jamieson
Tom Jamieson
Tom Jamieson
Brazil
Local time: 07:24
Portuguese to English
Mar 2, 2014

I'm planning on writing a blog post about what essentials a translator needs when he/she settles down at their desk for a long day of work, and I thought it would be fun to see what other people think!

So, as well as what you need on your computer (essential software, essential iTunes playlist?), is there anything else you can't do without? A big flask of coffee perhaps, or certain pair of slippers?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:24
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Office Gear Mar 2, 2014

MS Office on the laptop computer
Officejet all-in-one
cable modem
hard disk (back-up)
staple
paper clips
correction fluid
glue stick
notepad
pen
illumination for desk
magnifying glass

I guess that is about it.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:24
English to French
+ ...
A towel for my cat Mar 2, 2014

My cat likes to sleep on my desk. If I don't manage to save a special place for her she lies directly on my note-pad or keyboard.
So I keep a nice soft towel a little away from the screen for her

Gabriela E Ascencio Z
Gabriela E Ascencio Z  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
No-break/Surge protector/Battery backup/Car power inverter Mar 2, 2014

I frequently travel by vehicle, so a car power charger inverter is important to me. : )

I would also include Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop.

Regards,
Gabriela

[Edited at 2014-03-02 19:29 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
A big blanket Mar 2, 2014

It's a little chilly in my office this time of year, so I keep a big fluffy blanket in here to curl up in.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
A dynamic cushion Mar 2, 2014

...which keeps me making micro-movements and staves off the lumbago - fingers crossed!

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 13:24
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Ergonomic setting, & smartphone Mar 3, 2014

An ergonomic work setting (desk, chair, and footrest). I had mine from the beginning, but I slowly started modifying and tweaking each piece when my work hours increased, so that it becomes more comfortable.
And for me, with the long and frequent interruptions that I get during the day, a smartphone to check my emails is a MUST. Being a work-at-home mom, it made both my life and job easier.

A second screen is not a must, but in certain jobs it proves to be extremely helpful, s
... See more
An ergonomic work setting (desk, chair, and footrest). I had mine from the beginning, but I slowly started modifying and tweaking each piece when my work hours increased, so that it becomes more comfortable.
And for me, with the long and frequent interruptions that I get during the day, a smartphone to check my emails is a MUST. Being a work-at-home mom, it made both my life and job easier.

A second screen is not a must, but in certain jobs it proves to be extremely helpful, such as translating subtitles, PDFs that cannot be converted, or when your Trados source preview function suddenly decides to leave you on your own!

A fish tank by my desk, or two, won't hurt either! Good to look at when I'm stuck for a word. Love them!

Ah, yeah! Michael's post reminded me of the next must-have thing for a sleep deprived translator on a tight deadline: Panadol! Preferably with added caffeine, for headaches.

[Edited at 2014-03-03 06:58 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
"Pharmacological" aid Mar 3, 2014

A Plug & Percolate Computer-Assisted Coffee Maker:
http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/37394-plug_percolate_computer_assisted_coffee_maker.html
and
... See more
A Plug & Percolate Computer-Assisted Coffee Maker:
http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/37394-plug_percolate_computer_assisted_coffee_maker.html
and a few "blue pills" for translators:
http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/30931-translagra_blue_pill_for_translators.html

Regards
Mike
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:24
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
A squeaky toy Mar 3, 2014

My puppies still demand attention every 2 to 3 hours, which is fine on a regular day. When I'm under a tight deadline or if I'm just trying to tackle a challenging section, I really need to keep going. So if I squeak the toy and throw it out of the window, it takes a while for them to run outside and around the house to get it back. I get a chance to get on with my work and the pups are happy.
Apart from that - coffee maker and a table fridge with milk, yogurt and fresh juice; all right ne
... See more
My puppies still demand attention every 2 to 3 hours, which is fine on a regular day. When I'm under a tight deadline or if I'm just trying to tackle a challenging section, I really need to keep going. So if I squeak the toy and throw it out of the window, it takes a while for them to run outside and around the house to get it back. I get a chance to get on with my work and the pups are happy.
Apart from that - coffee maker and a table fridge with milk, yogurt and fresh juice; all right next to me.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:24
Japanese to English
Stay hydrated Mar 3, 2014

The only thing on my desk right now apart from the computer is a bottle of water. It's boiling hot at this time of the year, so I take frequent sips. I'm also thinking of buying either a desktop or a standing fan for greater comfort. When I lived in the icy cold wastes (of Birmingham) a small fan heater under the desk was indispensable around this time of the year. Being warm and comfortable does incredible things for my productivity.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
chaos Mar 3, 2014

I work best when I am surrounded by a certain amount of chaos.

Apart from that, a dictionary or thesaurus (yes - I like using paper dictionaries, in addition to digital ones) and a notebook + pen.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nice to know I'm not the only one! Mar 3, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

It's a little chilly in my office this time of year, so I keep a big fluffy blanket in here to curl up in.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:24
English to German
+ ...
- Mar 3, 2014

I always wanted one of these:

http://medien.markt.de/bilder/2011/01/16/13/8bea9c9e/medium_image/0/kassen_oder_thekenaufsteller.jpg?lastModified=1295180225000

However, I have no idea what it is called...

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
good light, chair, screens Mar 3, 2014

I think good light is vital-saves your eyesight, obvious, but not always possible, so if you are setting up anew, think where you are going to position the desk; you might need to change from time to time-e.g. winter light versus summer light, in the latter, you might have unwanted warmth too- a good chair, one that supports your back, neck, but does not swivel round dangerously, and 2 screens makes translation work so much faster-I use 2 laptops or a laptop and a computer, but someone suggested... See more
I think good light is vital-saves your eyesight, obvious, but not always possible, so if you are setting up anew, think where you are going to position the desk; you might need to change from time to time-e.g. winter light versus summer light, in the latter, you might have unwanted warmth too- a good chair, one that supports your back, neck, but does not swivel round dangerously, and 2 screens makes translation work so much faster-I use 2 laptops or a laptop and a computer, but someone suggested a while back how you can still have 2 screens without needing a laptop + computer or 2 laptops, anyway, something which prevents you having to minimise/maximise,, so you can see the sent text and the translation you are working on, if you can. I haven't decided where to set up my workstation, precisely because where light is perfect in winter, would be unbearably hot in summer, so I think I will opt for some desk that I can take from one room to another. I need my comfort but would not like to have liquids/food around, as I'm sure I will spill. I avoid clutter, too, but like to have pencil/paper handy.Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
chaos and clutter! Mar 3, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I work best when I am surrounded by a certain amount of chaos.

Now this is a very interesting way of putting it. Thank you so much for explaining why tidying up my desk is never top of my list!

so apart from the techie stuff already mentioned, I have

a couple of photos of my kids at various stages of cuteness

some tiger balm and peppermint essential oil for headaches

fruit

box of paper tissues

silly soft toy hiding from my dog (he's not allowed in my study)

wipes for my glasses

a printout of a toy girafe (remnant of some idle banter with a PM)

heaps of old printouts of translations

nail file (nothing bothers me more than a broken nail, I find it impossible to concentrate, and filing my nails can have a soothing effect)

one of those lamps that are supposed to counter the negative vibes from computers - I don't care if it's BS, I like the soft light it gives off and anyway it was a present

a couple of well-worn, trusty dictionaries

book marks I use to make sure I don't skip a line when proofing boring stuff on paper

mug (due for a refill)

printout of phone numbers of main clients, close family members,

a couple of my exam papers from when I sat my master in translation with comments I get a kick out of reading now and then

adhesive tape
paper clips
various pens and pencils
some dried out tipp-ex

railway tickets I was supposed to send to a client to be refunded for going to see them but that I forgot to send

telephone and charger

post it on my screen with my phone number (I don't have room for such info in my brain)

a few other post-its reminding me that "good grammar is the difference between knowing you're sh1t and knowing your sh1t", that "if you can't get it right, make it better" and that "you don't have to be mad to be a translator (but it helps)"

and I'm not delving any further into the heap of papers to see what else is there, that mug needs its refill!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your desk/workstation essentials!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »