Off topic: Popular current phrases in other languages
Thread poster: LingoTrust
LingoTrust
LingoTrust
Local time: 18:51
Apr 18, 2013

I help run a language blog site, and I wanted to do a post about current popular phrases that are used in other languages.

For instance, in America, "YOLO" is a new, popular, trendy phrase (stands for You Only Live Once). I don't think it will stand the test of time, so to speak, but it is popular now. I'm looking for similar phrases that are new, current, and trendy in other languages.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If you'd like, I can credit you with your submi
... See more
I help run a language blog site, and I wanted to do a post about current popular phrases that are used in other languages.

For instance, in America, "YOLO" is a new, popular, trendy phrase (stands for You Only Live Once). I don't think it will stand the test of time, so to speak, but it is popular now. I'm looking for similar phrases that are new, current, and trendy in other languages.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If you'd like, I can credit you with your submission if I use it. Just let me know if you'd like to be credited or not.

Thanks!
Collapse

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:51
Greek to English
In memoriam
Greece Apr 18, 2013

Something which became annoyingly common in Greece 2-3 years ago (no more than 3) was «Τυχαίο; Δεν νομίζω!» [Tiheo? Then nomizo! (By chance/a coincidence? I don't think so!)]

It became popular as the final line of a series of TV adverts (for a 'directory enquiries' telephone service, if I remember correctly). The ads have stopped (or I've stopped noticing them) so the phrase is used less often now, but it's stayed in the public conscience and I reckon it'll stay for
... See more
Something which became annoyingly common in Greece 2-3 years ago (no more than 3) was «Τυχαίο; Δεν νομίζω!» [Tiheo? Then nomizo! (By chance/a coincidence? I don't think so!)]

It became popular as the final line of a series of TV adverts (for a 'directory enquiries' telephone service, if I remember correctly). The ads have stopped (or I've stopped noticing them) so the phrase is used less often now, but it's stayed in the public conscience and I reckon it'll stay for at least a generation.
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:51
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Even Apeldoorn bellen... Apr 18, 2013

It means: have to call Apeldoorn. It's a insurance company slogan. Apeldoorn is the city where the office is. The sentence is used when someone did something stupid. The commercials on television were nice!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Advertisements behind so many of these catchphrases Apr 18, 2013

And how annoying so many of them are. As others have said, they may be quite short-lived - thank goodness.

I remember "me lo quedo" from a Corte Inglés ad here in Spain ("I'll have it" about deciding to buy something) - used to make me want to lynch the poor innocent children who spouted it!

I promise, I'm normally quite a nice person....

LingoTrust
LingoTrust
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 18, 2013

Thank you for your responses so far! I'm trying to get around 10 or so, so keep them coming if you have any more!

Anybody not want to be credited on the blog post?

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 01:51
Turkish to English
+ ...
dumur Apr 19, 2013

The word 'dumur' in Turkish was always an obscure technical term in biology meaning, exactly, 'atrophy'.
A few years ago, it, for some strange reason, found popular use in a number of expressions with the meaning of 'surprise' or 'astonishment'. Thus the expression 'dumura uğramak', literally to 'undergo atrophy', entered popular speech with the meaning 'be surprised/astonished'.
I think its use in this popular sense has waned somewhat. I always thought that the semantic leap from '
... See more
The word 'dumur' in Turkish was always an obscure technical term in biology meaning, exactly, 'atrophy'.
A few years ago, it, for some strange reason, found popular use in a number of expressions with the meaning of 'surprise' or 'astonishment'. Thus the expression 'dumura uğramak', literally to 'undergo atrophy', entered popular speech with the meaning 'be surprised/astonished'.
I think its use in this popular sense has waned somewhat. I always thought that the semantic leap from 'atrophy' to 'surprise' was a huge one.
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
English to Slovak
+ ...
Simples! Apr 19, 2013

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/buzzword/entries/simples.html

Not other language though.

[Edited at 2013-04-19 10:50 GMT]

Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Ty kto takoy? Davay, do svidaniya! ( "Who are you? See you, goodbye!") Apr 19, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_kto_takoy?_Davay,_do_svidaniya!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Des doods Apr 20, 2013

I think it started with the Dutch expression “de poule des doods”, the group of death, when a Dutch football team has very strong opponents in an international championship. “Des doods” is an obsolete genitive form in our language and nowadays the Dutch generally use it tongue-in-cheek. Anything can be “des doods”: thunderstorms, snowflakes, cats, traffic jams, a mother-in-law or a car wash.

David Friemann, MA
David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
des doods Apr 20, 2013

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I think it started with the Dutch expression “de poule des doods”, the group of death, when a Dutch football team has very strong opponents in an international championship. “Des doods” is an obsolete genitive form in our language and nowadays the Dutch generally use it tongue-in-cheek. Anything can be “des doods”: thunderstorms, snowflakes, cats, traffic jams, a mother-in-law or a car wash.

This is so funny, I should start using that in German immediately. Just image the Autowäsche des Todes...Although, it will probably make everything sound like a horrible horror movie...

LingoTrust
LingoTrust
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Apr 22, 2013

Thanks again for your help.

Here is the link to see the blog post from your suggestions.

http://www.lackuna.com/2013/04/22/popular-trendy-sayings-in-foreign-countries/

Again, let me know if you'd like to be cited on the post!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Popular current phrases in other languages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »