Off topic: Has it really come to this? Or is it an April Fool?
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:53
German to English
Apr 1, 2010

http://www.eurozonetranslations.com/Jerome1.html

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Danish to English
thanks for the tip Apr 1, 2010

What a great opportunity! I have decided to ditch this Danish stuff, as there is a lot of work translating Chinese to Urdu, and when you don't even have to bother learning the language, what a relief.

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:53
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
LOL Apr 1, 2010

I especially like the names of the "graduates" who comment:

O. Boi
R. Ashamed
B. Gonn
I.M. Foolin

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It worked for me! Apr 1, 2010

Right after I got stranded on this planet because of my flying saucer's plasma engine trouble, I enrolled in this wonderful school. Not only am I capable of communicating with the Earthlings, I am a translator, too!

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Italian to English
That's great! Apr 1, 2010

It's always nice to start the day with a laugh

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
For me too Apr 1, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Right after I got stranded on this planet because of my flying saucer's plasma engine trouble, I enrolled in this wonderful school. Not only am I capable of communicating with the Earthlings, I am a translator, too!

Unlike Nicole, I am originally of this planet.

However, some years ago I was assimilated into what some may know as a Borg collective, stripped of my free will and previous skills and left with no context in life.

Following a miraculous rescue and recovery operation, I went through a long process of restoration.

These are the fine folks who made me what I am today and I have no hesitation in reccommending them. Their Klingon courses have been over-subscribed for some time but thanks to this fine institution, I will soon be proudly adding English>Vulcan to my language portfolio (which is logically no walk in the park for a non-native speaker).

Live long and prosper.

Lowri Roberts
Lowri Roberts  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
Brilliant... Apr 1, 2010

...what a funny joke. At least I hope that's what it is.
I'm pretty sure the names are a clue though!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Eat your heart out, Proz.com! Apr 1, 2010

I love it!

Thousands of translators are using our techniques to produce millions of words a day in a variety of languages they do not know.

Does anyone else understand them??

Think of all the proofreading there will be for those of us with degrees, diplomas and experience!

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Only millions of words per day??? Apr 1, 2010

I think they are selling themselves short here - why stop at millions of words per day, when all you seem to need is an internet connection and the ability to copy/paste?
I am sure they could throw in a macro to do that for you, and we could be talking billions of words per day.

A very good thing about this is, that after taking their classes I can now take on jobs at USD 0.001 and still maintain my condoe and my summer cottage with swimming pool!
And the best thing: My
... See more
I think they are selling themselves short here - why stop at millions of words per day, when all you seem to need is an internet connection and the ability to copy/paste?
I am sure they could throw in a macro to do that for you, and we could be talking billions of words per day.

A very good thing about this is, that after taking their classes I can now take on jobs at USD 0.001 and still maintain my condoe and my summer cottage with swimming pool!
And the best thing: My clients are delighted.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 10:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-01 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Klementina Shahini
Klementina Shahini
United States
Local time: 13:53
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Cheers! Apr 1, 2010

What a great opportunity! I can feel that 2010 will be e very successful and productive year for all of us. All my children's college loans will be paid off in one week. What a relief just to think about it! Any new language we can come up with this programm?

Cheers!

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Contact details Apr 1, 2010

They neglected to include their contact details on the site. How do I enrol?

luisoncln
luisoncln  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Funny! Apr 1, 2010

I like the small script at the bottom:

"Based upon a rate of 2 cents per word. Income dependent on a variety of factors, including Internet connection, ability to cut and paste"

lolololol

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Yes, as is the "cash only".... Apr 1, 2010

Lowri Roberts wrote:

...what a funny joke. At least I hope that's what it is.
I'm pretty sure the names are a clue though!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not necessary Apr 1, 2010

John Farebrother wrote:

They neglected to include their contact details on the site. How do I enrol?

This school is so good and efficient, you only have to look at their website for a few seconds, and you will be able to translate from Wangkajunga into the Candoshi-Shapra language with no problem!

whither has fle
whither has fle
France
French to English
aaaaAAAAHHHHH§?!!°°°gULp.. Apr 1, 2010

Honestly, guys, I really think we ought to keep this away from Henry. He might not make it through the night.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has it really come to this? Or is it an April Fool?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »