Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 14, 2013

Are there Wordpress bloggers here?

When I type "" in Wordpress (two straight double-quotes), it shows up on the blog as ““ (two 6-shaped double-quotes). And when I type ' in Wordpress (a straight apostrophe a.k.a. straight single-quote), it shows up on the blog as ‘ (a 6-shaped single-quote).

I sometimes use the curly quotes but I sometimes use the straight ones, for a very good reason, and I don't want Wordpress to change it on the blog (it makes me look like an
... See more
Are there Wordpress bloggers here?

When I type "" in Wordpress (two straight double-quotes), it shows up on the blog as ““ (two 6-shaped double-quotes). And when I type ' in Wordpress (a straight apostrophe a.k.a. straight single-quote), it shows up on the blog as ‘ (a 6-shaped single-quote).

I sometimes use the curly quotes but I sometimes use the straight ones, for a very good reason, and I don't want Wordpress to change it on the blog (it makes me look like an idiot). In particular, in my language a word sometimes begins with an apostrophe (a 9-shaped single-quote), but Wordpress changes it on the blog to a 6-shaped single-quote.

I sometimes receive content from other people that I want to put up on the blog, but it is essentially that the quotes style that they use don't get changed by Wordpress when it appears on the blog.

How can I get Wordpress to show the exact same quote character as I had typed?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Martina Fink
Martina Fink  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 04:24
German to English
Disabling smart quotes Oct 14, 2013

This link might help you: http://codegrad.hub.ph/disable-wordpress-curly-quotes/

You just need to add a line of code to the functions.php file and it will disable auto curly quotes. I'm not sure if it will disable them completely though, you'll have to test that out.

Make sure you back up your functions file before you mess with it!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Martina Oct 14, 2013

Martina Fink wrote:
You just need to add a line of code to the functions.php file and it will disable auto curly quotes. I'm not sure if it will disable them completely though, you'll have to test that out.

Thanks, but perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm using wordpress.com, so I don't have access to those files. Setting up Wordpress manually is such a mission that if I were to decide to do my blog "manually" I would probably choose something else anyway. But for this particular blog I need something that is pre-installed what works out of the box as expected.

I understand that Wordpress is designed for people who want to write their text directly in the edit field and expect the blog to take care of most of the formatting, but on the other hand I'm suprised that it is not easy to just enable pure Unicode editing without all the unwanted autocorrections.

Alternatively, do you know of a hosted blog system that allows me to post text as-is?

Samuel

Martina Fink
New Zealand
German to English
Tricky Oct 14, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Thanks, but perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm using wordpress.com, so I don't have access to those files.

Hmmm... that makes it more difficult! I found a plugin that switches off curly quotes, but I don't think you're allowed to install plugins on wordpress.com (correct me if I'm wrong).

Have you tried blogger.com?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Martina Oct 14, 2013

Martina Fink wrote:
Have you tried blogger.com?

Unfortunately I have to think of my fellow contributors. I have guest contributors on the blog (they don't contribute posts, only comments) and they need usernames, and Blogger.com is currently part of the Google network, and it is very difficult to keep your details separate with Google. My guest contributors are barely able to handle Wordpress.com's user registration system... I think I'll end up with a lot of angry people if I use a Google based system and the shit hits the fan one day.

It looks like I may have to install a small blog on one of my hosted accounts, then. Can anyone recommend anything simple? I need to create pages and I need contributors to be able to comment on the pages and I need contributors to be limited to those who have been given permission.

Samuel

Martina Fink
New Zealand
German to English
Wordpress Oct 14, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
It looks like I may have to install a small blog on one of my hosted accounts, then. Can anyone recommend anything simple? I need to create pages and I need contributors to be able to comment on the pages and I need contributors to be limited to those who have been given permission.

I can really only recommend the full version of Wordpress, but I know it can be quite complicated to set up. If you like, I can help you get Wordpress up and running. I can install it for you and set it up with a theme etc, so you don't have to worry about tweaking any codes. I'll even add the code that gets rid of curly quotes That means you can keep posting as you always have and your contributors don't need to sign up for anything new.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to write right quotes in Wordpress

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »