José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 20, 2012

I used Netscape for e-mail since my Day 1 on the Internet, until a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, it's a dead and gone project at Mozilla, but I tried many other apps - except all Outlook options from Microsoft - and didn't like any of them. So I remained loyal to Netscape for e-mail. Obviously, after its browser became thoroughly obsolete, I could no longer left-click on links sent in messages; I had to right-click on them to copy, and then open such sites with Explorer, Chrome, F
... See more
I used Netscape for e-mail since my Day 1 on the Internet, until a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, it's a dead and gone project at Mozilla, but I tried many other apps - except all Outlook options from Microsoft - and didn't like any of them. So I remained loyal to Netscape for e-mail. Obviously, after its browser became thoroughly obsolete, I could no longer left-click on links sent in messages; I had to right-click on them to copy, and then open such sites with Explorer, Chrome, FireFox, whatever.

As my e-mail is IMAP, i.e. all messages are kept on an external server, as opposed to POP3, which would cause them to be downloaded to my computer in the e-mail app's format, I could try as many e-mail client apps I wanted, without any conversion or migration.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a browser named Sea Monkey - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ - from Mozilla. Apparently some people there disliked Thunderbird as much as I did, decided that Netscape was still THE one, and got it updated.

The browser so far is incompatible only with my online banking site, because my bank hasn't yet developed the heavy security features for it. Otherwise, it feels just like the Netscape I used for so many years.

Just one IMPORTANT WARNING: If you use POP3, before migrating all your e-mail messages, back up everything, otherwise if you regret the change, you might have burned the bridges to roll back.
Collapse

Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SeaMonkey Nov 20, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I discovered a browser named Sea Monkey - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ - from Mozilla. Apparently some people there disliked Thunderbird as much as I did, decided that Netscape was still THE one, and got it updated.

Actually, your history is a bit off the mark, but yes, SeaMonkey is a direct successor of Netscape 4, updated to modern web browsing requirements. Firefox and Thunderbird are also successors of Netscape 4. FF and TB add-ons don't work in SeaMonkey directly, but they are similar enough that add-on programmers can reasonably easily create a SeaMonkey version of their add-on, and so many FF and TB add-ons are also available for SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey includes a browser and an e-mail program. You can set it up so that when you run SeaMonkey, it starts up with either the one or the other. I use SeaMonkey only for e-mail, so when I click the SeaMonkey icon on my fake QuickStart bar, I get the e-mail program. I use SeaMonkey to backup my Gmail accounts (I don't actually send mail using SeaMonkey itself).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What is the advantage? Nov 20, 2012

I use Thunderbird since version 0.7. I migrated to it from Outlook. What does you Netscape have that Thunderbird does'nt? Just curious.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't know Nov 20, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I use Thunderbird since version 0.7. I migrated to it from Outlook. What does you Netscape have that Thunderbird does'nt? Just curious.

Well, it's not Netscape -- it's SeaMonkey (from the Mozilla Foundation). I'm not sure what the advantages of either are, since I use TB in a very minimalistic way. The mailbox format of SM and TB are very similar (both are MBOX) but I'm not sure if they're directly compatible.

I'm also a slow upgrader, since I'm still using TB 3.1. The current version of TB is 16, I think, but that is just because they accelerated the version numbers -- there is very little difference between TB 16 and TB 3.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
The same controls/features Nov 20, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

For those who used Netscape for more than a decade, SeaMonkey has the same things in the same places. Thunderbird is more feature-packed, however some old-fashioned guys like me prefer to use e-mail just for electronic communication.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good news for Netscape lovers who miss it

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »