Iniziatore argomento: Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh  Identity Verified
Giappone
Local time: 01:55
Membro (2004)
Da Giapponese a Inglese
Jul 29, 2009

Recently I have found that my Firefox does not open any webpages even after a few minutes wait. When I shut down Firefox and try to restart it, a message appears telling me I have to restart my computer to open Firefox again. Is this a bug?

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
Da Tedesco a Lituano
Restart your PC :) Jul 29, 2009

Restart your PC

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Giappone
Membro (2004)
Da Giapponese a Inglese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
sledgehammering a nail Jul 29, 2009

Egiz wrote:

Restart your PC

OK, but I was hoping for less of a sledgehammering a nail solution.

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 17:55
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
it may be a virus Jul 29, 2009

I had a similar problem not too long ago. I wasn't sure whether it was an overall problem with Firefox itself, but Firefox would freeze so I would shut it down and to reopen it I also had to restart the computer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but this didn't help. Eventually through running a more advanced virus scan, I found that I had a Trojan NaviPromoAA Virus which had installed an advertising pop-up rootkit in my computer so Firefox kept freezing because this virus was tr... See more
I had a similar problem not too long ago. I wasn't sure whether it was an overall problem with Firefox itself, but Firefox would freeze so I would shut it down and to reopen it I also had to restart the computer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but this didn't help. Eventually through running a more advanced virus scan, I found that I had a Trojan NaviPromoAA Virus which had installed an advertising pop-up rootkit in my computer so Firefox kept freezing because this virus was trying to pop-up so many ads all at once. I then followed procedures to remove the virus and advertising rootkit and since then Firefox has been working fine.

My advice: run a really advanced scan for a virus with your computer in safe-mode. See what happens!

Good luck!
Collapse

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Giappone
Membro (2004)
Da Giapponese a Inglese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks. I'll try that. Jul 29, 2009

Thanks. I'll try that.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
Da Inglese a Greco
+ ...
I agree that you should check for viruses... Jul 29, 2009

...however, you should bear in mind that Firefox isn't bug-free. I had installed FF3.5 (the latest version) and recently (among other bugs) it would freeze (as you are describing) and I had to use Ctr+Alt+Del to open the tasks manager to shut it down and start it over. And then it would freeze again and so on. So, I migrated to Chrome and no problem at all. Then, I came across the installation file of Firefox 2 that I had saved in my computer, and I unistalled the most recent version and install... See more
...however, you should bear in mind that Firefox isn't bug-free. I had installed FF3.5 (the latest version) and recently (among other bugs) it would freeze (as you are describing) and I had to use Ctr+Alt+Del to open the tasks manager to shut it down and start it over. And then it would freeze again and so on. So, I migrated to Chrome and no problem at all. Then, I came across the installation file of Firefox 2 that I had saved in my computer, and I unistalled the most recent version and installed the old one. And it works seamlessly. I don't know if I did a good thing in terms of security, but I need to say that FF3 and FF3.5 were full of bugs for me (and other people too, as I had the chance to see when I checked FF technical forum). But I still consider FF to be the best browser, so I try as I might to keep on using it...Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:55
Membro (2008)
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Could be running in the background Jul 29, 2009

I have had a similar problem with Firefox and found that it was actually running in the background, without a window showing, and would not start a new instance. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and check if it is running even if you can't see it. If so, kill it, and then you should be able to restart it. Can't be sure this is your problem, but its happened to me a few times.

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
Firefox had been having problems with their versions... Jul 29, 2009

I agree with Eleni as well. I do remember hearing some people mention that the newer versions of Firefox were having problems. Firefox automatically updates itself or doesn't really give you a choice not to update, but perhaps even searching for a new version without waiting for the update might help...

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Plus one, exactly as described below Jul 29, 2009

Could be running in the background

I have had a similar problem with Firefox and found that it was actually running in the background, without a window showing, and would not start a new instance. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and check if it is running even if you can't see it. If so, kill it, and then you should be able to restart it. Can't be sure this is your problem, but its happened to me a few times.

I've had this quite a few times as well, and still get it from time to time.

It never even occurred to me that it might be a virus or a trojan - I still don't think it is - rather, I think it is a bug in the Firefox browser which they need to patch from their side of things.

I mean, how long does it take to open the taskmanager, end the process and then re-start firefox. About three seconds?

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Grecia
Da Inglese a Greco
+ ...
I have the same problem Jul 29, 2009

In my case it is a problem with the firefox/gmail combination and it is occuring on my laptop only. No problem on this machine (PC partition on my Mac)

It's a mystery...

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
Da Inglese a Greco
+ ...
Yes, it's a mystery! Jul 29, 2009

It didn't cross my mind that it was the gmail/firefox combination. Anyway, I can do without FF, but I can't do without gmail

In my case, FF3.5 was full of bugs on my desktop (didn't have activated many of the buttons, didn't remember cookies and preferences...), while it works perfectly on my laptop. Yes, it's a mystery!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 11:55
Membro
Spagnolo
+ ...
Same here Jul 29, 2009

But it's not a virus because it started happening again right after I re-installed my system. It's very annoying.

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Grecia
Da Inglese a Greco
+ ...
All's well that ends well? Jul 29, 2009

It seems to be working ok now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Firefox won't restart unless PC is restarted. Is this a bug

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »