Update TM when CafeTran quits
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 25

CafeTran Espresso doesn't have a feature to automatically update the TM when CafeTran quits.

Here is a Keyboard Maestro macro that updates the (first) assigned TM when Cmd+Q is pressed:

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.14.18

You have to assign this macro to Cmd+Q*). Alternatively, you can assign it to Shift+Cmd+Q instead.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.31.50

*) If you do so, make sure that you place the macro in a macro group that is only available in CafeTran Espresso:

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.34.18

Demo:
2024-02-25 13.36.16

[Edited at 2024-02-25 12:38 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I used a workaround Feb 27

For reasons unclear to me, I wasn’t able to simulate a click on the first memory listed in the TMs pop-up.

Since the size of this pop-up depends on the number of listed memories, I had to use a workaround: move the pop-up to a fixed position, the top left position. Now, the first (or only) listed memory will always be located at exactly the same position.

I’ll also make a macro to just update the memory—without quitting CafeTran. I do this because I don’t like
... See more
For reasons unclear to me, I wasn’t able to simulate a click on the first memory listed in the TMs pop-up.

Since the size of this pop-up depends on the number of listed memories, I had to use a workaround: move the pop-up to a fixed position, the top left position. Now, the first (or only) listed memory will always be located at exactly the same position.

I’ll also make a macro to just update the memory—without quitting CafeTran. I do this because I don’t like the number of clicks required for such a crucial action.
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:46
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
TMs are updated as you go in the workflow Feb 27

CafeTran does update the translation memories used in the project on the segment basis. Here, the user decides which segments to update "on the fly" going from one segment to the next or previous one. This solution enables the translator to choose which segments should be added to the translation memory, and to discard the ones that might 'pollute' the TM. In other words, it should help to maintain the quality of the TM.

If they wish to update all the project segments at once, they
... See more
CafeTran does update the translation memories used in the project on the segment basis. Here, the user decides which segments to update "on the fly" going from one segment to the next or previous one. This solution enables the translator to choose which segments should be added to the translation memory, and to discard the ones that might 'pollute' the TM. In other words, it should help to maintain the quality of the TM.

If they wish to update all the project segments at once, they can select this action via the Memory menu. Your macro can do it automatically when CT quits. I guess it might be useful to those who prefer to store ALL the segments in the TM.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Correct Feb 27

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

I guess it might be useful to those who prefer to store ALL the segments in the TM.

Since I constantly make changes to the project's target segments, I indeed want to commit all segments to the TM:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 09.06.11

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Improved version of the macro Mar 27

Version 11 of Keyboard Maestro offers a Press a Button action that can be used to improve this macro:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 14.01.39

The macro assumes that you use the following naming scheme for your TMs:

client_name_source_language-target_language_tm.tmx

[Edited at 2024-03-27 13:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update TM when CafeTran quits

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »