Manga translation rates (again)
Thread poster: KoiMaxx
KoiMaxx
KoiMaxx
Local time: 18:08
Feb 1, 2010

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to say that I'm really very new at this, and I know this topic has been talked about several times already, but those threads were a few months to a couple of years old and I was hoping to get an update.

I did a project for translating manga from Japanese to English recently and I was curious to know how much is a decent rate for translation. Does the rate include typesetting and layouting (i.e. having to select an appropriate font for t
... See more
Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to say that I'm really very new at this, and I know this topic has been talked about several times already, but those threads were a few months to a couple of years old and I was hoping to get an update.

I did a project for translating manga from Japanese to English recently and I was curious to know how much is a decent rate for translation. Does the rate include typesetting and layouting (i.e. having to select an appropriate font for the dialogue and trying to fit it in the balloons) or is there additional for doing that?

I had done around 29 pages for 2175yen (comes out 75yen/page) and it took me almost a week after hours doing it. Personally I think it's very low considering what I had to do. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

Thanks.

宜しく御願い致します。

[Edited at 2010-02-01 01:13 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:08
Japanese to English
You should get paid more Feb 1, 2010

Wow, that's ridiculously low pay! I've been trying to get into translating manga, but with no success thus far. I think it's because I want at least a living wage to do it. My theory is that the present market for manga in English-speaking countries is too small for distributors to justify paying for professional translations, so they get people who do it more as a hobby than a job. Same goes for anime subtitling. (But if anyone has information to the contrary, let us know!) Video games, on the ... See more
Wow, that's ridiculously low pay! I've been trying to get into translating manga, but with no success thus far. I think it's because I want at least a living wage to do it. My theory is that the present market for manga in English-speaking countries is too small for distributors to justify paying for professional translations, so they get people who do it more as a hobby than a job. Same goes for anime subtitling. (But if anyone has information to the contrary, let us know!) Video games, on the other hand, is a big enough industry where you can get decent pay.Collapse

KoiMaxx
KoiMaxx
TOPIC STARTER
I kind of knew that... Feb 1, 2010

Thanks Alex for confirming what I guess I already knew. Would you have some specific information on what a good rate is for translation only and for translation, layout and typesetting? I was hoping that next time I do a part-time project, at least I could request a better rate. I don't really aim to get what professionals do, rather just a fair rate at the least.

Thanks again.

Shannon Morales
Shannon Morales  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
10 times more Feb 1, 2010

I thought at first you had omitted a zero at the end of the amount... I don't know how much text there was on each page, but I'd say you should be receiving at LEAST 10 times the amount you mentioned, and possibly significantly more. Very generally speaking, I wouldn't advise going under 5-6 yen per character; otherwise, you're not being compensated fairly for your time, and it also has the effect of lowering the price bar for everyone.

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
I agree with Shannon... Feb 1, 2010

Shannon Morales wrote:

I thought at first you had omitted a zero at the end of the amount... I don't know how much text there was on each page, but I'd say you should be receiving at LEAST 10 times the amount you mentioned, and possibly significantly more. Very generally speaking, I wouldn't advise going under 5-6 yen per character; otherwise, you're not being compensated fairly for your time, and it also has the effect of lowering the price bar for everyone.

I don't translate manga, but you have to think about, what did you get paid per hour for the total amount of work you did? You don't have to post that here, but compare it to what you would get paid working at other places... for example, if it's only the same amount as what you'd get working at McDonald's, the rate is definitely too low!

KoiMaxx
KoiMaxx
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't know it was that bad... Feb 1, 2010

If I had known that... I would have probably just done part-time at McDonald's... well, not really. Even though I had initially intended to do it just as a hobby with a little income, I didn't think I'd be dealt with so unfairly. Well, chalk it up to experience I guess. Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manga translation rates (again)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »