Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is dubbing detrimental to language acquisition?

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Is dubbing detrimental to language acquisition?".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about Finnish? Jun 29, 2016

LilianNekipelov wrote:

Simply, Dutch and Scandinavian languages, except Icelandic, are structurally closer to English than Slavic languages, let's say. Yes, it can definitely be good for learning English to watch movies in English—no doubt about it, but the title says that dubbing may be detrimental to language acquisition. Which language? Even Icelandic is relatively close. That may be the reason why many Scandinavian people speak English well, plus exposure, of course.

[Edited at 2016-06-18 14:22 GMT]

In Finland we have subtitles too and the Finnish language is in no way related to germanic languages, but our people speak English better than Germans, who never hear a word of English in their tv. Even when Obama speaks in the news after a few words the German speaker takes over.

I even read the Finnish (and sometimes Swedish) subtitles when watching my native German movies or tv serials. It is a habit. Now I daily watch half an hour of Cuentame with Spanish subtitles (they are arranged separately on the right side of the screen) just to get used to spoken Spanish. It definitely works.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Regional speaking too Jun 29, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Yes, but in the real world people will not be articulating perfectly. So if you get used to perfect articulation, you may have difficulties managing the raw pronunciation outside in RL.

[Edited at 2016-06-29 05:25 GMT]

I have seen lots of programs with Scottish, Welsh, Australian, Canadian and different parts of the US. In our tv news when foreign people get interviewed on the streets the Finnish content is displayed in subtitles. So we get used to different flavors of foreign languages, not only English but all kind of languages. At the moment our television company re-runs the Heimat productions by Edgar Reitz, where different German dialects interact all the time, and the actors are mostly amateurs. We can choose between Finnish and Swedish subtitles and no subs at all.
When screening Finnish movies on television we can select "Dutch" and get Finnish subtitles. This is of great help to deaf people and is generally useful to everyone, because modern Finnish actors mumble terribly.

Ahmad Dabaghzadeh
Ahmad Dabaghzadeh
Iran
Local time: 10:20
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
dubbing Jun 29, 2016

dubbing is detrimenal

Anna Norman
Anna Norman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:50
English to Swedish
Not what you will find in reality? Jun 30, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Yes, but in the real world people will not be articulating perfectly. So if you get used to perfect articulation, you may have difficulties managing the raw pronunciation outside in RL.]

In my experience, this is not the case, nowadays I can also follow when people talk on reality shows. At least, most of the time. My point is that you can easly improve understanding of English if you listen to BBC because they pseak very clearly on BBC. Like when a teacher introduces a new word, they will say it very clearly, but when you have learned/are familiar with that word you will also recognize it even when you hear it in continous speech. And pronounced in various ways.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is dubbing detrimental to language acquisition?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »