How to spice up your translation

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How to spice up your translation".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
Bread and Butter Jun 4, 2016

For literary translators pretty much all of this goes without saying. Bread and butter.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So true of non-technical translations Jun 7, 2016

All of my work requires more thought and care over style than over terminology. Generally speaking, anyone who speaks reasonable French can understand every word of my source texts. But very often anything like a literal translation would be awful in English. There are rarely two consecutive words that have retained their position in the sentence, grammatical form etc in my target texts. But normally each element is there in some form or other.

The only issue I have with this article
... See more
All of my work requires more thought and care over style than over terminology. Generally speaking, anyone who speaks reasonable French can understand every word of my source texts. But very often anything like a literal translation would be awful in English. There are rarely two consecutive words that have retained their position in the sentence, grammatical form etc in my target texts. But normally each element is there in some form or other.

The only issue I have with this article is that it encourages readers to involve the client in target style/word choices. How many clients know the target language well enough? Of course, when you translate into English you'll have clients who understand it, but they can rarely judge our work accurately. Most will prefer something literal, given the choice, simply because they think it can't be too wrong.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to spice up your translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »