Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
138,000 people living in England and Wales speak no English

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "138,000 people living in England and Wales speak no English".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Emotional and economic costs of not speaking the language of the country you live in Feb 20, 2013

Thank you for your replies Tatty and Stefan.

Indeed, I work as a face-to-face interpreter for hospitals and local health centres etc. (although increasingly less); in the current economic recession there is a distinct and pretty drastic cut-back on the use of interpreters' services; yes, I appreciate there is a telephone service, and there are friends and family to help, but I bet you any money there are people out there just coping the best they can with not much knowledge of medicin
... See more
Thank you for your replies Tatty and Stefan.

Indeed, I work as a face-to-face interpreter for hospitals and local health centres etc. (although increasingly less); in the current economic recession there is a distinct and pretty drastic cut-back on the use of interpreters' services; yes, I appreciate there is a telephone service, and there are friends and family to help, but I bet you any money there are people out there just coping the best they can with not much knowledge of medicine in either English or a foreign language in order to help those who are struggling with English, or whose English is non-existent. This does pose problems, but hey, we will all find out to what extent sooner or later. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a few legal cases in the future where something has gone drastically wrong in the process.
Cheers!

[Edited at 2013-02-20 12:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-20 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

DavidSlapak (X)
DavidSlapak (X)
Czech to English
+ ...
How do they do it? Feb 20, 2013

I wonder how many illegals receive census papers to fill in and how many admit to being in Britain illegally.

As for the people who fill in the forms saying that they don't speak ANY English, how do they answer the questions? Maybe the same people who fill in their government welfare benefit forms do it for them.

[Edited at 2013-02-20 14:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

138,000 people living in England and Wales speak no English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »