Etymon
Spain
Local time: 06:08
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2012

Hi everyone!

My name is Selina working in Étymon Solutions. One of our customer asked us for a huge translation Spanish-Montenegrin. I have got a question regarding translations for Montenegro:
Do you really translate into Montenegrin or do you usually translate into Serbian languages?
Can anybody help?

Thank you very much!
Selina

Vesna KK
Vesna KK  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hi Selina May 31, 2012

You can find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_language

I personally never had to translate in Montenegrin, but I'd say it's basically Serbian with some minor differences, I think any Serbian translator can translate it and make few adjustments. Perhaps later some native Montenegrin speaker can proofread it but it's probably not necessary.
... See more
You can find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_language

I personally never had to translate in Montenegrin, but I'd say it's basically Serbian with some minor differences, I think any Serbian translator can translate it and make few adjustments. Perhaps later some native Montenegrin speaker can proofread it but it's probably not necessary.

Vesna
Collapse

Sladjana Spaic
Sladjana Spaic  Identity Verified
Montenegro
English to German
+ ...
Montenegrin Spelling & Vocabulary May 31, 2012

Hi Selina and Vesna,

Vesna wrote: " Perhaps later some native Montenegrin speaker can proofread it but it's probably not necessary."

Well, a Montenegrin translation should be proofread by a Montenegrin Native, especially because of the spelling There is also some difference in the vocabulary and the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one, mostly owing
... See more
Hi Selina and Vesna,

Vesna wrote: " Perhaps later some native Montenegrin speaker can proofread it but it's probably not necessary."

Well, a Montenegrin translation should be proofread by a Montenegrin Native, especially because of the spelling There is also some difference in the vocabulary and the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one, mostly owing to the spelling amongst other issues

Best regards from sunny Igalo, Montenergo!
Collapse

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Beware of politics... May 31, 2012

The main question is ekavian vs. ijekavian.
No offense to anyone, but many ekavian speakers do have difficulties when it comes to moving from ekavian to ijekavian (e.g. check Google.me search page... you'll see "prijethodna" (over-corrected from "prethodna" - previous) on page listing. It sounds ridiculous).
It's debatable whether in each and every case "the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one", if you get a good ijekavian translati
... See more
No offense to anyone, but many ekavian speakers do have difficulties when it comes to moving from ekavian to ijekavian (e.g. check Google.me search page... you'll see "prijethodna" (over-corrected from "prethodna" - previous) on page listing. It sounds ridiculous).
It's debatable whether in each and every case "the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one", if you get a good ijekavian translation, but having a native Montenegrin proofread it is definitely advisable.
Every Montenegrin will understand Serbian (ekavian or ijekavian), Bosnian or Croatian translation without any difficulties, but the usage and cultural differences are what needs to be taken into account.
Collapse

Vesna KK
Vesna KK  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
I would have to agree Jun 1, 2012

Sladjana wrote:

Well, a Montenegrin translation should be proofread by a Montenegrin Native, especially because of the spelling There is also some difference in the vocabulary and the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one, mostly owing to the spelling amongst other issues

I agree, that's why I said that the translation needs to be adjusted to Montenegro. If a translator cannot do it then native speaker IS necessary. I think translations should always be proofread, just to be safe. Two people are always better than one.

Sladjana, you are in Igalo, I love that place, I need a vacation there!

V.

Sladjana Spaic
Sladjana Spaic  Identity Verified
Montenegro
English to German
+ ...
I fully agree with you! :) Jun 1, 2012

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

It's debatable whether in each and every case "the Montenegrin population would immediately recognize if the translation was a Serbian one", if you get a good ijekavian translation, but having a native Montenegrin proofread it is definitely advisable.
Every Montenegrin will understand Serbian (ekavian or ijekavian), Bosnian or Croatian translation without any difficulties, but the usage and cultural differences are what needs to be taken into account.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
I just can't wait for another language identifier Jun 4, 2012

... to my languages on tool bar and on keyboard.

By now on my tool bar I have installed: (what a language this is when one has to stress "my" "yours", constantly, to be understood)

sr-Cyrl-CS Serbian Cyrillic Serbia e Montenegro (in disuse)
sr-Latn-CS Serbian latino Serbia e Montgenegro (in disuse)
sr-Latn-ME Serbian latino Montenegro
sr-Cyrl-BA Serbian Cyrillic Bosnia
sr-Latn-BA Serbian latino Bosnia
sr-Latn-RS Serbian latino Serbia
... See more
... to my languages on tool bar and on keyboard.

By now on my tool bar I have installed: (what a language this is when one has to stress "my" "yours", constantly, to be understood)

sr-Cyrl-CS Serbian Cyrillic Serbia e Montenegro (in disuse)
sr-Latn-CS Serbian latino Serbia e Montgenegro (in disuse)
sr-Latn-ME Serbian latino Montenegro
sr-Cyrl-BA Serbian Cyrillic Bosnia
sr-Latn-BA Serbian latino Bosnia
sr-Latn-RS Serbian latino Serbia
sr-Cyrl-RS Serbian Cyrillic Serbia
bs-Latn-BA Bosnian latino Bosnia
bs-Cyrl-BA Bosnian Cyrillic Bosnia
hr-HR Croatian Croazia
hr-BA Croatian Bosnia
mk-MK Macedonian Macedonia
sl-SI Slovene Slovenia

I can hardly wait to see a day when I'd have to add another specific mothermilk language. Btw, those 3-component codes do not yet fill in in any CAT, neither in the one sponsored by Montenegrin Airlines. But derive from latest MS Windows specifications. They had to specify them, in order to make informatical order into our language forest.

No harm or offence to anybody.

And I'd say, if we used for example "Ē, ē" for old phoneme IATA which later was deciding for ijekavski, ekavski, ikavski (ije, je, i, e) - pronunciations, and which are, from the importance level, insignificant and do not give a qualifier for any special difference, between a slight regional one - I'd say, that usage of Ēē in writing would produce ekavski pronunciation in one's lifetime, for all.
Collapse

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 05:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
Translation and localisation Jul 12, 2012

Linguistically, it's Serbian Ijekavian.

If you need to do just translation, give the assignment to any skilled Serbian speaker of the *Ijekavian dialect*.

If you need to do and localisation as well, you'll need a local Montenegrin (Serbian Ijekavian) speaker, or a speaker familiar with certain language gotchas.

Count in specific needs of your client - and it can be tricky. Especially if your PM/agency has a politically and linguistically biased bigot for
... See more
Linguistically, it's Serbian Ijekavian.

If you need to do just translation, give the assignment to any skilled Serbian speaker of the *Ijekavian dialect*.

If you need to do and localisation as well, you'll need a local Montenegrin (Serbian Ijekavian) speaker, or a speaker familiar with certain language gotchas.

Count in specific needs of your client - and it can be tricky. Especially if your PM/agency has a politically and linguistically biased bigot for a reviewer.

edit:
"...and linguistically biased bigot for a reviewer."

[Edited at 2012-07-12 21:31 GMT]
Collapse

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Technical Montenegrin Jul 30, 2012

My colleagues have more or less explained it all. I would just add that when it comes to technical texts, the main difference is in the "ekavski" vs. "ijekavski" dialect. In Montenegro "ijekavica" is used, while in Serbia both are used. No major grammatical or terminology issues, just make-up.

Technical texts in Serbian and Montenegrin will not differ much. I know that financial terminology (P&L, Balance Sheet, etc.) are practically the same, unlike Croatian where these technical te
... See more
My colleagues have more or less explained it all. I would just add that when it comes to technical texts, the main difference is in the "ekavski" vs. "ijekavski" dialect. In Montenegro "ijekavica" is used, while in Serbia both are used. No major grammatical or terminology issues, just make-up.

Technical texts in Serbian and Montenegrin will not differ much. I know that financial terminology (P&L, Balance Sheet, etc.) are practically the same, unlike Croatian where these technical terms are completely different.

In Serbian, we have two major received dialects - East Herzegovina and Vojvodina-Šumadija dialects. Today's Montenegrin is what used to belong to the East Herzegovina dialect of Serbian. It is still widely used in spoken Serbian in Serbia, but the latter dominates the written media.
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"ekavski and ijekavski" are pronounciation modes Aug 2, 2012

..., not dialects. Most probably, your mistake was a just a lapsus linguae.

Cedomir Pusica wrote:

I would just add that when it comes to technical texts, the main difference is in the "ekavski" vs. "ijekavski" dialect.

Tamara Ivanovic (X)
Tamara Ivanovic (X)
Montenegro
Serbian to English
+ ...
Montenegrin is a legitimate language Aug 29, 2012

Dear Selina,
as a native Montegrin I must tell you there are many differences between Serbian and Montenegrin. If it wasn't so, we wouldn't be having a Montenegrin language and literature and Serbian language and literature separated departments at our Faculty of Arts.
If you need a ESP-MNE translation, I am here for you.
Kind regards,
Tamara

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation into montenegrin

Translation news in Serbia

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »