CAT-Tool Localise - has anyone used it/any thoughts about it?
Thread poster: Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 27, 2022

Hi all,

I´m currently being offered work from a new client, but they want me to use the CAT-Tool "Lokalise".

As I´m already working with so many different CAT-Tools for different clients, I´m currently wondering if it´s worth getting to grips with yet another one?

Has anyone ever worked with Localise and has any comments about user friendliness, how quick it is to learn to a reasonably usable level, or any comments and opionions about it.

... See more
Hi all,

I´m currently being offered work from a new client, but they want me to use the CAT-Tool "Lokalise".

As I´m already working with so many different CAT-Tools for different clients, I´m currently wondering if it´s worth getting to grips with yet another one?

Has anyone ever worked with Localise and has any comments about user friendliness, how quick it is to learn to a reasonably usable level, or any comments and opionions about it.

Many thanks in advance.

Manuela
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Manuela Apr 27, 2022

Manuela Junghans wrote:
Has anyone ever worked with Localise and has any comments about user friendliness, how quick it is to learn to a reasonably usable level, or any comments and opinions about it.

I've worked with it once or twice. It's not built for speed. I suspect the Lokalise developer thought that all translators get paid per hour. I haven't used it in quite a while, however, so I can't offer any tips and tricks.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Very basic tool Apr 28, 2022

I'm working with it now. It is very basic CAT tool, easy to use, but as Samuel wrote, not built for speed or with the translator in mind. It is more a translation projects management tool than CAT tool.

What I do is to download the translation as XLIFF file, translate it with Studio and then upload the translated file.
The client has to enable this feature for you.

HTH

Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
Avoid like the plague Apr 28, 2022

It's bad. Made by developers who have no idea about translation, and it shows. It's been a while since I tried it, so things might have improved, but they honestly launched a translation tool that makes it hard to insert foreign characters. No option to join or split segments, and their support had no idea why that would even be useful. Atrocious ergonomics.

I could go on, but basically, productivity down by around 75%, and even then it's hard to produce quality.

I'm
... See more
It's bad. Made by developers who have no idea about translation, and it shows. It's been a while since I tried it, so things might have improved, but they honestly launched a translation tool that makes it hard to insert foreign characters. No option to join or split segments, and their support had no idea why that would even be useful. Atrocious ergonomics.

I could go on, but basically, productivity down by around 75%, and even then it's hard to produce quality.

I'm always happy to try a new CAT tool, and generally I get the hang of things rather fast. It's not that I'm a luddite or against new technology, but I am very much against really, really bad technology. Lokalise if apparently very user friendly forweb developers, so many reviews are positive. However, if you are a translator, it's just plain awful.
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone who replied Apr 28, 2022

Hi everyone,

What you all say tends to be in line with my general feeling and first impression after having looked round the interface.

That was really helpful and pushed me towards the decision against the tool.

All the best,
Manuela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT-Tool Localise - has anyone used it/any thoughts about it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »