Do you charge separately for checking an app/website which you have localized?
Thread poster: Gabriela Raț
Gabriela Raț
Gabriela Raț  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:49
Member (2020)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 23, 2021

Hello everyone!

I think the title already says a lot about my actual question. I am localizing an app (the text was sent to me in an Excel file and I have to translate each row, from column A to column B - pretty straightforward). I have asked for a per word rate for doing this job.

After finishing the translation in the said Excel file, I will also have to check the text directly in the app, after the web-development department will have transferred my translation to t
... See more
Hello everyone!

I think the title already says a lot about my actual question. I am localizing an app (the text was sent to me in an Excel file and I have to translate each row, from column A to column B - pretty straightforward). I have asked for a per word rate for doing this job.

After finishing the translation in the said Excel file, I will also have to check the text directly in the app, after the web-development department will have transferred my translation to the app.

Now, the problem I have is that I do not know if to charge separately for this checking part. I have a feeling that I should, given that this is an extra step, which requires extra time. I feel that this is different from translating a simple file which doesn't have to be checked in this way (so no extra time required).

Should I have quoted this extra part in my original rate per word? Is it OK to ask for some extra money for the checking part and, if so, how much (percentage from my per word rate)?

I hope I made myself clear enough. I am grateful for any answers!
Collapse

Andrew Poloyan
Andrew Poloyan
Russian to English
+ ...
Charging extra sounds reasonable Aug 23, 2021

If a task requires additional time and effort not accounted for in the basic rate, the extra work should be reimbursed. Depending on the UI and app structure, you may prefer to apply your hourly rate, though.

Yossi Rozenman
Philip Lees

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 22:49
English to German
In memoriam
Language QA Aug 23, 2021

This kind of in-place QA is a separate step indeed and you should charge for it (typically, you would charge for the hours this takes). Software strings are often translated out of context, and between delivering the translated software strings and building a new app with them or integrating them into an existing app, any number of things can go wrong, for example font and length issues, bad word wraps, UI issues, untranslated parts that were accidentally not included in your translation package... See more
This kind of in-place QA is a separate step indeed and you should charge for it (typically, you would charge for the hours this takes). Software strings are often translated out of context, and between delivering the translated software strings and building a new app with them or integrating them into an existing app, any number of things can go wrong, for example font and length issues, bad word wraps, UI issues, untranslated parts that were accidentally not included in your translation package, images that still show the source language, changes made after giving you the source, and so on. Some of these might be your fault (like mistranslations due to misunderstandings) but in most cases this is not the point, the point is that this QA step is a necessary step in the software localisation process, it's a separate step that can be done either by you or by a third person (often a good idea), and it can consume a lot of time (documenting the issues with screenshots etc., communicating with developers to find the issues in the source (code or language, etc.).

Most agencies I work with call this step a "language QA" or something like that. I think that "in-place QA" would be a better term.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Marta Mariño Cisa
Platary (X)
Yossi Rozenman
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Yaotl Altan
yinnyann

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 23, 2021

I include this step in the per-word rate, just as I wouldn't bill extra for answering client questions about my work. Of course I do explain all this to clients as a reason why I might appear to be more expensive than others.

Kevin Fulton
Vera Schoen

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I charge QA separately, and per hour Aug 23, 2021

QA is another step and should be charged separately.

Gabriela Raț
Gabriela Raț  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2020)
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 26, 2021

Thank you all for your answers! You've all been very helpful! I will ask for more money

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge separately for checking an app/website which you have localized?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »