Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:46
English to German
+ ...
Jun 14, 2004

Hello all!
I am currently and very urgently looking for some script extracting tool from a large audio file. The outsourcer sent me only the audio in mp3 format, and the content needs to be translated...Help

I shall most thankful if you know any such tool and part with that information.

brandis

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
What do you mean exactly? Jun 14, 2004

I do not understand. You have an Audio file with, I suppose, someone speaking? Right?
What do you mean with script?

...?

Brandis wrote:

Hello all!
I am currently and very urgently looking for some script extracting tool from a large audio file. The outsourcer sent me only the audio in mp3 format, and the content needs to be translated...Help

brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-14 18:24]

[Edited at 2004-06-15 08:28]

CarolynB
CarolynB
Portuguese to English
+ ...
People do this better than Programs Jun 14, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hello all!

brandis

Hi Brandis - this is a tricky one

Thru bitter experience, I have (finally)learned to turn these jobs down unless:

1. the client provides me with a written transcript (which can take a week or more to prepare), particularly for films / lectures with poor audio quality.

2. The client pays me (or someone else) to transcribe the text (using Express Scribe for mp3 files), which takes about 3 hours x hour of good quality recording.

BEST SOLUTION: play the mp3 file back SLOWLY on Express Scribe (free download from nch.com.au) and translate directly from what you hear, pausing as needed.
If you are a simultaneous interpreter and have two computers, you can listen to the mp3 file on one machine and translate verbally on to the other using any good speech-to-text program. I do this quite a lot, but it's stressful and very tiring. You also need a completely quiet environment free from all interruptions, which is possible in my office only before dawn.

FYI: I've tried running the original mp3 files thru several speech-to-text programs with disastrous effects.

If you manage to find a program that does all this, ps let me know!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the job is audio to audio Jun 14, 2004

Toledo wrote:

I do not undertand. You have a Audio file with, I suppose, someone speaking? right?
What do you mean with script?

I do not undertand. You have a Audio file with, I suppose, somone speaking? right?
What you mean with script?
...?HI!toledo, now I have two files each around 7 hours from educational area one from English into German and the other the otherway back. What I need to do is to listen to the mp3 file and generate the content in a script and translate and repress on to the product video. Considering 7 hours of spoken text, it is really voluminous. So I am urgently looking for some tool that could make life littlt bit easy.
Brandis

Brandis wrote:

Hello all!

brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-14 18:24]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
7 hours! Jun 14, 2004

A 7 hours mp3, that means about 420 MB (if stereo). That is a lot. Well I would divide it in 10 minutes pieces.
With Dragon naturally Speaking you can, supposedly, write directly into Word your spoken file. I never do it, but for sure you will need to edit it (time consuming).

With Wavelab (I think there is a trial version)or any other Audio aplication, you can divide the file into pieces (about 40) than one afer one translate it and record (I hope you have a nice voice... See more
A 7 hours mp3, that means about 420 MB (if stereo). That is a lot. Well I would divide it in 10 minutes pieces.
With Dragon naturally Speaking you can, supposedly, write directly into Word your spoken file. I never do it, but for sure you will need to edit it (time consuming).

With Wavelab (I think there is a trial version)or any other Audio aplication, you can divide the file into pieces (about 40) than one afer one translate it and record (I hope you have a nice voice)
and later paste all the new 40 translated files together.

I do not think there is a "magic" program for that. It is a "ants" job.

Sorry
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the analysis Jun 15, 2004

Toledo wrote:

With Wavelab (I think there is a trial version)or any other Audio aplication, you can divide the file into pieces (about 40) than one afer one translate it and record (I hope you have a nice voice)

Sorry
Hi Toledo, Thank you for the analysis. Iam splitting it in 15 min span parts, and do the transcription. I use Wavelab too. I think now I have everything, only I do not have a good voice (take a check at the audio greeting on my webpage www.proz.com/pro/56286 ), but for this I think I shall go to a chorsänger there is a school in my district.
Greets
Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
there is a audio and video file splitter Jun 15, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Sorry

Hello Toledo! news - there is a audio and video file splitter at www.zealotsoft.net it is called allsplitter.exe , comes as trial too.

[Edited at 2004-06-15 20:02]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
further tools Jun 17, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Sorry
Hello Toledo, I have found further tools here, which may be helpful. http://www.sonicspot.com/sampleeditors.html
greets
brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have found a solution Jun 24, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Sorry
Hello Toledo! I have found a solution. With the software combination techsmiths ( Camstasiasuite), Total recorder ( high- criteria )and Dragon-speech, I could routinize the automatic transcribing on one single PC. I shall explain this in the HOWTO documents.
Greets
Brandis

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wow! Jun 24, 2004

Brandis wrote:

I shall explain this in the HOWTO documents.

Well done! Please do not forget to post a note here as soon as you upload your HOWTO.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

searching for a tool to extract script from an audio file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »