Thread poster: Elisabetta Manuele
Elisabetta Manuele
Elisabetta Manuele
Italy
Local time: 14:20
English to Italian
May 6, 2004

Hi all,

I would like to know how much a screen capture containg translatable text is currently charged and whether it is usually charged on a per screen or a per hour basis.

Thanks in advance,

Elisabetta

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What do you mean by "screenshot containing translatable text"? May 9, 2004

Hi, Elisabetta.
What do you mean by a "screenshot containing translatable text"?
Usually localized screenshots are taken from localized software.
A screenshot is typically a bitmap image, so with no easy text editing, unless you play around with Photoshop or similar.
Screenshots taking is usually charged on a per hour basis.

ciao,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-05-09 12:19]

Elisabetta Manuele
Elisabetta Manuele
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Screen Captures May 9, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

What do you mean by a \"screenshot containing translatable text\"?
Usually localized screenshots are taken from localized software.
creenshots taking is usually charged on a per hour basis.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 12:19][/quote]

Hi, Roberta,

Yes, you got it. I just meant those images containing user interface components of an application, such as dialog boxes or menus and usually embedded in documentation and online help files.
As for software files, I can handle dialog boxes with localization tools, but I must use Paint Shop Pro for documentation files and editing a bitmap image is a much more complicated process, mostly when you have to localize doc files *before* software has been localized!
So, you well answered to my question: on a per hour basis, it sounds quite fair. Since I heard about charging them on a per screen basis and I was puzzled \'cause they might take either 10 minutes, or 1 hour of editing, if anything goes wrong (due to Murphy\'s Closet).

Thanks for your helpfulness.

Ciao!

Elisabetta

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
against faking screenshots May 9, 2004

what you are describing spells trouble, Elisabetta: if the localized software is not yet available, then the best thing is usually to delay the screenshot task to a later stage, when the loc. sw will be available and the screenshots will not have to be "faked". Faking screenshots in PaintShop or Photoshop or whatever is very timeconsuming and the result will most likely not match the final localized sw anyway (localized text is longer, boxes and buttons and other text fields will need rearrangin... See more
what you are describing spells trouble, Elisabetta: if the localized software is not yet available, then the best thing is usually to delay the screenshot task to a later stage, when the loc. sw will be available and the screenshots will not have to be "faked". Faking screenshots in PaintShop or Photoshop or whatever is very timeconsuming and the result will most likely not match the final localized sw anyway (localized text is longer, boxes and buttons and other text fields will need rearranging to avoid truncation or overlap...)
I'd really stress this point with the client: when he's become aware of how time consuming (and therefore expensive) and error-prone it is he might well agree to leave that to a later stage, or to keep the original screenshots together with a translation of the commands/options provided as reference in the caption or text.

ciao,
Roberta
Collapse

Elisabetta Manuele
Elisabetta Manuele
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Against faking screenshots May 10, 2004

Hello Roberta,

Thanks for your insightful advice.
I’m well aware of all the points you rightly highlighted and have tried in vain to remark them to the client (a software developer) more than once.
Then I submitted my costs breakdown calculated on a per hour basis to him...and he changed his mind by leaps and bounds.
Money rules at the end of the day!

Ciao,

Elisabetta

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
you make it sound complicated / Try Fireworks May 10, 2004

Eliman wrote:

Hello Roberta,

Thanks for your insightful advice.
I’m well aware of all the points you rightly highlighted and have tried in vain to remark them to the client (a software developer) more than once.
Then I submitted my costs breakdown calculated on a per hour basis to him...and he changed his mind by leaps and bounds.
Money rules at the end of the day!

Ciao,

Elisabetta
Hi!you make it sound complicated. I shall be introducing screen capture conversion ( without losing font, color, touch or image ) Fortunately there is no flavour to it, I would have found a solution for this too. The advantage for the outsourcer is- he would have a range of screen shots in the other language, where he plans to launch or sell the product, without even having to undergo any bigger scale localisation project. Try Macromedia´s Fireworks, you can process almost any screen shot or graphics ( normally screen shorts have some graphic format)
Good luck
brandis

[Edited at 2004-05-12 16:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Screen Captures

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »