Saving entire websites
Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Sep 29, 2003

Dear colleagues,

Not long ago, I am pretty sure someone mentioned a (possibly) free utility to save entire websites from the Internet (with each and every associated file, not only the page on display). I ran a search but I didn't get any results. Anybody knows a software application (preferably freeware or shareware) that lets you do that? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Web Reaper Sep 29, 2003

As grim as it sounds...
You'll find it here:
http://www.webreaper.net/
There are, of course, many others. This one's free.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2003-09-29 08:55]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Be careful! Sep 29, 2003

Never use the HTML you obtain this way for a professional localisation job. The code might be rewritten. You might miss pages or pages might be created on the fly from a database. This means that you miss other terms in the database that need translation and/or that the webmaster can't use the HTML page you've translated.

Regards,
Gerard

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Sep 29, 2003

Thanks for mentioning that. Actually, I would never work on any file which has not been provided by the client, unless they indicated it expressly. I was interested in this kind of application for estimation purposes only.

Thank you both again!

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Rosat, "SmartBud" is probably what you are looking for. Sep 29, 2003

RosaT wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Not long ago, I am pretty sure someone mentioned a (possibly) free utility to save entire websites from the Internet (with each and every associated file, not only the page on display).

Here is the link :

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=16885

Good luck !

[Edited at 2003-09-29 15:43]

Richard Xie
Richard Xie
China
Local time: 20:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
webzip and many other free/shareware to help you save entire website Sep 30, 2003

RosaT wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Not long ago, I am pretty sure someone mentioned a (possibly) free utility to save entire websites from the Internet (with each and every associated file, not only the page on display). I ran a search but I didn't get any results. Anybody knows a software application (preferably freeware or shareware) that lets you do that? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the link http://www.skycn.com/sort/sort2010300_indate_DESC_1.html

Hope it is useful for you.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
I just tried "SmartBud" and I am happy with the result. Sep 30, 2003

Marco Cevoli
Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
www.httrack.com Sep 30, 2003

If you are a rather advanced pc user, use this one:
HTTRACK
By far the best that you can choose. It is fully customisable, quick, and reliable. The guy who wrote it offers an incredible support through the forum. But before using it, PLEASE read the online documentation.
It's freeware.

Bye,

Marco

[Edited at 2003-10-01 05:33]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Is MS IE not enough? Oct 2, 2003

I always thought IE did all that automatically when saving a page. Usually I have to make it do the opposite, just save the page without any linked pages or images.
The one and only time I was required to translate a web-page the customer refused to send me the files (could not get into contact to the webmaster) but asked me to get them myself instead.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, IE is enough for one page but for the entire site, you need a speciel software. :) Oct 2, 2003

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I always thought IE did all that automatically when saving a page. Usually I have to make it do the opposite, just save the page without any linked pages or images.
The one and only time I was required to translate a web-page the customer refused to send me the files (could not get into contact to the webmaster) but asked me to get them myself instead.

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Another recommended utility Oct 15, 2003

I have been using Web Stripper for months with excellent results. It works fine with defaults, no setup is required. Highly recommended for the downloading of entire sites.
Mau

[Edited at 2003-10-15 02:34]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Saving the entire Website with links Nov 29, 2003

RosaT wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thanks in advance!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Saving the entire Website with links Nov 29, 2003

RosaT wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thanks in advance!
Try Snagit version 7.0. it does a very good work, you may need the outsourcer´s authentication to access his full website. Otherwise he would be sending you single webpages and you may lose the sense for the total content.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving entire websites

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »