Bilingual books for IT/Computer industries?
Thread poster: Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:44
Japanese to English
Sep 17, 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good collections of Japanese English bilingual books (対訳集) that I could use as a reference in studying to be a translator in this field? What I'm after is something that provides a lot of example sentences so I can see how common terms/constructions/turns of phrase, etc. are often translated. Ideally Japanese would be on the left page, English on the right, or something like that. Translation notes (解説) would be nice too.

So
... See more
Hi,

Does anyone know of any good collections of Japanese English bilingual books (対訳集) that I could use as a reference in studying to be a translator in this field? What I'm after is something that provides a lot of example sentences so I can see how common terms/constructions/turns of phrase, etc. are often translated. Ideally Japanese would be on the left page, English on the right, or something like that. Translation notes (解説) would be nice too.

Something like this may not come in book form, so if you know of any good sites or companies selling things like this, that would be great.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2009-09-17 14:23 GMT]
Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Tensei Jingo Sep 23, 2009

Hello,

What I instantly think of as a bilingual book or essay is "Tensei Jingo", a collection of past columns from Asahi Shinbun newspaper. It was over a decade back when I firstly heard the project and we had been seeing a series of its publication each season over the years. The name of series in Japanese is 英文対照 朝日新聞天声人語.

I'm afraid I myself have not yet gotten a chance to look into the content, while its evaluation from readers varies at Ama
... See more
Hello,

What I instantly think of as a bilingual book or essay is "Tensei Jingo", a collection of past columns from Asahi Shinbun newspaper. It was over a decade back when I firstly heard the project and we had been seeing a series of its publication each season over the years. The name of series in Japanese is 英文対照 朝日新聞天声人語.

I'm afraid I myself have not yet gotten a chance to look into the content, while its evaluation from readers varies at Amazon.com. If you're interested in something journalistic featuring various topics such as politics, economy, society, culture or sport, it might be worth proceeding on reading. Pls note this is, of course, not directly related to technical subject for content.

Sorry, I tried copying the link to a sample page of Tensei Jingo with comparative translation in English, but it seems it cannot be correctly pasted here. Instead I may recommend you to search on the home page with the key words "天声人語" + "対照". You'll see multiple results come up.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ref=gno_logo

Minoru KUWAHARA

[Edited at 2009-09-23 14:21 GMT]
Collapse

yonedatransterp
yonedatransterp
Local time: 13:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
IT/Tech? Sep 23, 2009

Assuming you're translating into English, most IT/Tech terms are English to begin with. The difficulty is all else that is associated with the terminology. If you just need a terminology guide, the internet will suffice. Everything else is just an understanding of the language, imo.
For instance, a web page design is related to a 幕の内弁当 in a passage. This is an apt analogy, but finding an English equivalent is a difficult task in this case.

I guess you could pick up
... See more
Assuming you're translating into English, most IT/Tech terms are English to begin with. The difficulty is all else that is associated with the terminology. If you just need a terminology guide, the internet will suffice. Everything else is just an understanding of the language, imo.
For instance, a web page design is related to a 幕の内弁当 in a passage. This is an apt analogy, but finding an English equivalent is a difficult task in this case.

I guess you could pick up the writing style, but most technology writing is quite terrible to begin with. The idea is to write documentation that is legible to the engineers and coders, while being accessible to those not in the field. The engineering type is used to, and expects a certain style of writing in documentation, which could be considered a dialect in

My suggestion is to read the apple documentation guidelines (I think there are outdated copies floating around the internet illegally) and then reading a few non-apple documentation.
Its a good approximation of what difference a technical writing class makes.

Or take a good tech writing class. You can look up phrases, or ask for help on understanding a certain passage. You can't google good writing.

cheers!
Collapse

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good course sounds good Sep 26, 2009

Thank you for the replies. I will look into the options that you guys have mentioned.

I imagine that taking a good technical writing course would be of great benefit to me, but I wonder if just doing correspondence courses would be enough? I wouldn't mind commuting to a course, but it seems that most of the good ones are in Tokyo, and I live in Nagoya.

If anyone knows of any good technical writing courses, either with a focus on Japanese --> English translation or
... See more
Thank you for the replies. I will look into the options that you guys have mentioned.

I imagine that taking a good technical writing course would be of great benefit to me, but I wonder if just doing correspondence courses would be enough? I wouldn't mind commuting to a course, but it seems that most of the good ones are in Tokyo, and I live in Nagoya.

If anyone knows of any good technical writing courses, either with a focus on Japanese --> English translation or just all in English, please do share.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual books for IT/Computer industries?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »