Thread poster: Virginie Crest-Ekhaugen
Virginie Crest-Ekhaugen
Virginie Crest-Ekhaugen
Norway
Local time: 00:42
English to French
+ ...
Oct 17, 2006

As a freelance translator, I am using Trados or SDLX.
I am considering being certified SDL Trados and therefore taking the lectures and exam.
I would like to have your opinions on that matter.
Does it have an impact on your translation business whether you are certified SDL Trados?
Thanks in advance

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I can't see it really impacting my business Oct 17, 2006

Hi there!

I can't tell you whether it will impact your business or not - that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

I use Trados for almost all of the work that I do - which in turn is almost all for direct customers (very few agencies).

As far as I can tell, SDL Trados certification gets you a special profile page in the SDL Trados translator directory. What kind of customers look for translators in that directory? Are they the kind of custo
... See more
Hi there!

I can't tell you whether it will impact your business or not - that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

I use Trados for almost all of the work that I do - which in turn is almost all for direct customers (very few agencies).

As far as I can tell, SDL Trados certification gets you a special profile page in the SDL Trados translator directory. What kind of customers look for translators in that directory? Are they the kind of customers you want to have? Will you be able to market the fact that you are SDL Trados certified in other ways? For example on your own Web site or in correspondence with customers?

Will that help you to grow your business? It's up to you to work out whether the investment (time and money) will be worth it.

What certification also does is to help you to use the tools better. Investing in training to learn how to use Trados properly is certainly beneficial. I think that would help any translator who uses Trados to grow their business.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Virginie Crest-Ekhaugen
Virginie Crest-Ekhaugen
Norway
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 18, 2006

Hello Alison,

Thank you very much for your reply.
It's always positive to receive feedback and comments. Thank you again.
I agree with you about the benefit on training to learn more about the CAT tools and their use.
Thank you.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
certified Oct 18, 2006

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:
I can't see it really impacting my business.
Alison

neither can I, but maybe the thing is too young yet to have much influence.

how many are there on that list, really?

I've learnt today that there is this one other translator who's made it (thanks, Alison)

but that little shield does look great in an email signature (size it down a little)

and to Virginie: good luck!
they're going to throw some dirt at you (exam time)
catch as much of it as you can

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could be useful Oct 19, 2006

This is something I am interested in too (when will proz be doing another TGB for SDL Trados with certification training please?)

Two reasons why I am interested:

1) I think it's a good idea to have some proof of your skills in this area (though you can do courses on CAT tools elsewhere).

2) I think it shows that a translator is "serious" and has invested in his/her profession.

I'm not sure that the directory would be all that useful for obta
... See more
This is something I am interested in too (when will proz be doing another TGB for SDL Trados with certification training please?)

Two reasons why I am interested:

1) I think it's a good idea to have some proof of your skills in this area (though you can do courses on CAT tools elsewhere).

2) I think it shows that a translator is "serious" and has invested in his/her profession.

I'm not sure that the directory would be all that useful for obtaining jobs though and, as Alison says, certification would probably be more useful to translators who work primarily with agencies and are looking to expand their client bases.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification with SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »