Auteur du fil: Mark Smith
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 22:19
allemand vers anglais
Good qualifications should mean good job opportunities Feb 17, 2006

Karen,

I really can't say what the market situation is in the Fr-En segment, but I can assure you that if your B language was German, with a degree in economics, a translation degree (postgrad?) and office experience, employers would be falling over each other to bring you in for interview. Provided, of course, you can actually translate

Those qualifications alone should guarantee you several job offers,
... See more
Karen,

I really can't say what the market situation is in the Fr-En segment, but I can assure you that if your B language was German, with a degree in economics, a translation degree (postgrad?) and office experience, employers would be falling over each other to bring you in for interview. Provided, of course, you can actually translate

Those qualifications alone should guarantee you several job offers, plus a starting salary above somebody with just the bog-standard languages degree + postgrad translation MA. Of course, there'll still be a lot of learning to do, especially in subject areas in your B language, but you already have a good grasp of a subject area in your A (native) language that gives you a distinct competitive advantage over your fellow new graduates.

You say: "I'm one of those crazy people who gets excited by making accounts balance." You're the sort of person our industry needs by the thousand - a talented geek. Don't get me wrong on that, I'm one myself. I mean people who are obsessive about getting the details right. Far too many translators are essentially quite good at translating, but think the details don't matter. Many's a good translation that's been totally ruined by a lack of attention to detail.

So my advice to you is to find out which companies in France (Belgium, Fr. Switzerland, etc.) recruit entry-level native English translators and simply send off your application on spec. Don't restrict yourself to language service providers - try large international corporates as well.

Good luck,
Robin

[Edited at 2006-02-17 19:56]

[Edited at 2006-02-17 19:57]
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 04:19
français vers anglais
Try the big four accounting firms in Paris Feb 17, 2006

Karen.

there are jobs for someone with your experience in Paris. Try Ernst & Young, Deloitte, PriceWaterhouse and the other one whose name I've forgotten. They have or had until recently translation depts. Check the International Herald Tribune Monday job ads.

Good luck!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
Reasonability of wages for UK-based in-house translators Feb 17, 2006

RobinB wrote:

Far too many translators are essentially quite good at translating, but think the details don't matter. Many's a good translation that's been totally ruined by a lack of attention to detail.

And equally, many translators have so little affinity with the subject-matter of their texts that it would be a miracle if the message were conveyed effectively. You can hear the phrase "it's only technical" all too often from translators.

Marc

RobinB
États-Unis
allemand vers anglais
Worst of both worlds Feb 18, 2006

Marc,

And of course there's the worst of both worlds - translators who neither know very much about the subject area nor pay attention to detail.

Unfortunately, this seems to be "best practice" in the industry today. But we're getting off-topic here....

Robin

RobinB
États-Unis
allemand vers anglais
The other one Feb 18, 2006

there are jobs for someone with your experience in Paris. Try Ernst & Young, Deloitte, PriceWaterhouse and the other one whose name I've forgotten.

KPMG, known colloquially in Germany as "Keiner Prüft Mehr Genau" (nobody audits closely anymore).

It's probably worth writing to all of them on spec, there's often constant rotation at these firms. Large international law firms are another strong possibility.

Robin

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
français vers anglais
FUSAC Feb 18, 2006

Just remembered that jobs for bilingual people are advertised in this free magazine published in Paris, "France-USA contacts". Worth a look anyway. We found one of our translators through an ad there, an Irish accountant.

vikasichka
vikasichka
anglais vers russe
Try CLS based in London Feb 28, 2006

Mark Smith wrote:

Dear all,

I just wanted to see what the general consensus on this topic. I am currently applying to many different translation firms, and I am seeing emerge a quite jolting pattern of appallingly low remuneration, not only for trainees, coming straight from a Masters degree in translation (like myself), but even for higher grades with industry experience.

I will give an example. In one company they are offering £14k for graduates such as myself with no industry experience, £16k-£20k for those with 1-2 years experience, then £20k-£24k for those with 4-6 years experience.

At this point I have to be perfectly honest – I could earn the same amount as the pay band that I am eligible for doing a temporary clerical job with one hand tied behind my back! I strongly believe that my skills are worth more than £14k per annum, despite my beginner status. If I only had a languages degree, I could see their point, but I have learnt a great deal on my Masters about the industry, project management and CAT software, as well as having a far better grasp of the art of translation than someone untrained, who can merely speak the language.

Furthermore, I find it disgusting than the highest pay band for translators in this particular company (and I daresay it’s similar elsewhere) only peaks at £24k. Had I quit education after my undergraduate course, I could now easily be earning that much on any number of graduate recruitment schemes. Why should it be the case that translators, who possess such a relatively rare and valuable skill, are not reasonably compensated for this? Since we are always hearing about the collapse in numbers studying languages in Britain, how can graduates be so undervalued?

I do not regret taking my MA at Leeds, as I feel in a far stronger position now, vis-à-vis having the necessary skills to work in the industry. Nonetheless, I have incurred another large slice of debt to be in this position, and now I expect my remuneration to reflect this sacrifice and compensate me accordingly. Am I being unreasonable in this? Furthermore, it is preposterous that many Project Manager positions in our industry pay more at entry level than trainee translator ones. I have to be honest, this is one of the hardest decisions of my entire life, as I’m just not sure I can afford to be in the translation industry. I find this a very sad reflection.

If you have any thoughts on the points I raise in the above then I’d like to hear from you. Also, if anyone knows of the names of any firms who pay more reasonably, then I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,
Mark Smith

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reasonability of wages for UK-based in-house translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »