Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:13
Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

Hello,

I'm only a part time translator, and up until now, I have only been working for direct clients. But I want to be a freelancer full time and therefore start working for agencies seems the logical next step. My problem is that most agencies ask for previous references. I've asked a couple of clients to write reference letters but I don't know if I should include their contact information or just the name of their companies and titles (and incomplete letter of this kind may s
... See more
Hello,

I'm only a part time translator, and up until now, I have only been working for direct clients. But I want to be a freelancer full time and therefore start working for agencies seems the logical next step. My problem is that most agencies ask for previous references. I've asked a couple of clients to write reference letters but I don't know if I should include their contact information or just the name of their companies and titles (and incomplete letter of this kind may seem fake). I don't want to risk losing any client to an agency that may end up being unscrupulous.

I'd like to hear how people that has been in this position has dealt with that issue.

Cali
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 18:13
French to Dutch
+ ...
My answer Jul 11, 2005

Agencies have all kind of ways to find new clients. Include contact information is the worst thing to do, you will never see your client again. If you give references, they should be anonymous or general (name of a big company, etc.). Surely not the name of the person, you are not looking for an inhouse job! Even if they are asking for. Bear in mind that you are in a concurrential world where everybody will like to have your direct clients.

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:13
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Nicolette Jul 11, 2005

I never give out contact information of direct clients to agencies for the simple reason that some agencies use that method for client "phishing". Instead, I offer to do a free sample translation of 1 page to show them what I can do. If they don't accept that, then I'd rather not work with them.

Good luck to you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling references from direct clients to agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »