Yelp Page for a Translation Business?
Thread poster: Olga Bogatov (X)
Olga Bogatov (X)
Olga Bogatov (X)
United States
Local time: 14:55
Mar 2, 2019

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if it is worth it to start a Yelp page for my translation business. I operate as a sole proprietor, have a home office, and rarely meet my clients in person.
A couple of my friends with an established business recommend starting a yelp account to gain more visibility and attract new customers, since it is such a trusted resource which has existed for a long time.
What are your thoughts?

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
Local time: 23:55
English to Polish
+ ...
Never heard of and I am 40+ years in this business. Mar 2, 2019

Maybe it is for fun. Or for Americans.

[Zmieniono 2019-03-02 23:12 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:55
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not sure if it's necessary Mar 2, 2019

Olga Bogatova wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if it is worth it to start a Yelp page for my translation business. I operate as a sole proprietor, have a home office, and rarely meet my clients in person.
A couple of my friends with an established business recommend starting a yelp account to gain more visibility and attract new customers, since it is such a trusted resource which has existed for a long time.
What are your thoughts?

I guess if your clients are based in Canada/US then they would/could make use of a Yelp page, but for me specifically Yelp is really more for things like restaurant reviews. However I do know that people do review Yelp comments extensively for service-based industries like hair salons and auto shops. I personally wouldn't put a page up as you being a sole proprietor would more than likely use your home address - this for me is more an issue of privacy than anything else. If you operate your business from an actual office or a shared workplace however, perhaps it'd make sense to have a Yelp page.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
French to English
+ ...
Yes, I've seen translators on YELP Mar 3, 2019

I live in the States, and yes, I have not infrequently seen translating agencies with pages on YELP. One advantage is that companies or individuals or agencies that use your services can rate you and then write a sentence or two. I do, however, find it somewhat confusing -- it may have one agency/company and then quickly (on the same page I believe) it will list another company offering the same service (translating, beauticians, cleaners, whatever). If it is not too expensive you might want to ... See more
I live in the States, and yes, I have not infrequently seen translating agencies with pages on YELP. One advantage is that companies or individuals or agencies that use your services can rate you and then write a sentence or two. I do, however, find it somewhat confusing -- it may have one agency/company and then quickly (on the same page I believe) it will list another company offering the same service (translating, beauticians, cleaners, whatever). If it is not too expensive you might want to give it a try, but I suggest you look at how the pages are set up to see what I am talking about (the confusion of more than 1 provider for the same service on a page), and find out if there is a "work-around" for this available.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yelp Page for a Translation Business?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »