Required data in agency's form/questionnaire - okay just to leave them empty?
Thread poster: RINA LINGUISTIC SERVICES, Katarina Radojevic- Mitrovic
RINA LINGUISTIC SERVICES, Katarina Radojevic- Mitrovic
RINA LINGUISTIC SERVICES, Katarina Radojevic- Mitrovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 00:00
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I need a piece of advice regarding data in the agency's form. There have been some standard questions so far in the forms I have had to fulfill/answer, but the latest form I got is a bit odd and includes too personal questions (in my humble opinion).
Could you, please, let me know, what personal info you are ready to give?
Also, I am wondering why I got this form since I have already worked with this agency and they have my data. On the other hand, I w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I need a piece of advice regarding data in the agency's form. There have been some standard questions so far in the forms I have had to fulfill/answer, but the latest form I got is a bit odd and includes too personal questions (in my humble opinion).
Could you, please, let me know, what personal info you are ready to give?
Also, I am wondering why I got this form since I have already worked with this agency and they have my data. On the other hand, I would appreciate any comment, suggestion,... concerning possibility to refuse to fullfill some columns. Is it okay just to leave them empty?

Thanks for your help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-10 13:01]
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do not give information if you do not feel comfortable doing so. Jun 10, 2005

I think we've had this topic (or a similar one) before. I (still) think that it is completely legitimate to NOT provide information if you feel uncomfortable about it. If it is really that important, they will surely get back to you. Then you can find out why they need that information and decide if you want to provide it.

...my two cents.

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Derek Jun 10, 2005

Yeh, I agree with Derek, don't give any personal information that you don't feel comfortable with.

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Required data in agency's form/questionnaire Jun 10, 2005

Thanks a lot Nathalie and Derek.
I also think that I am not bound to provide all the info they asked. However, I am still in doubt why do I have to fulfill a new form again, though I did several projects for them and they had my data in their database. Besides, there are some standard questions we all answer I guess, so what is the point of new ones??? I am not a novice in this business, so am a bit confused since I have not had such an experience so far (during 13 years). Anyway, it seems
... See more
Thanks a lot Nathalie and Derek.
I also think that I am not bound to provide all the info they asked. However, I am still in doubt why do I have to fulfill a new form again, though I did several projects for them and they had my data in their database. Besides, there are some standard questions we all answer I guess, so what is the point of new ones??? I am not a novice in this business, so am a bit confused since I have not had such an experience so far (during 13 years). Anyway, it seems that unexpected events and surprises are always possible, specially in our field. (smile)
I would truly appreciate it if someone would tell me what you thought that is necessary to provide and what is not (what answers).

Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Information that is acceptable Jun 11, 2005

Contact details
Pricing details
Education details (including any professional details)
Times you are available for work
Possibly 2 references (I write possibly because I am in two minds about this)
Your tools (PC, CATs, etc.)
Nationality and such if involved in official translations for some government body

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree with you Marijke Jun 12, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

Contact details
Pricing details
Education details (including any professional details)
Times you are available for work
Possibly 2 references (I write possibly because I am in two minds about this)
Your tools (PC, CATs, etc.)
Nationality and such if involved in official translations for some government body

Those are so-called standard info I was talking about, but as said the form I had got includes very intimate details I think I should not provide.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 15:00
English to French
+ ...
Could you be more specific? Jun 13, 2005

What "personal" information are we talking about?

I remember this one agency sending me a 3-page questionnaire with totally irrelevant questions such as place of birth etc.
They had probably found a generic questionnaire somewhere. I did answer all their questions, while wondering why on earth they needed to know what my citizenship was or where I was born.

Sooo... are we talking irrelevant or unacceptable questions here ?

Just curious....
See more

I remember this one agency sending me a 3-page questionnaire with totally irrelevant questions such as place of birth etc.
They had probably found a generic questionnaire somewhere. I did answer all their questions, while wondering why on earth they needed to know what my citizenship was or where I was born.

Just curious.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Required data in agency's form/questionnaire - okay just to leave them empty? Jun 13, 2005

Why not just call the agency and ask?

Marc

Diana Jiménez Vallejo
Diana Jiménez Vallejo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
bank account information Jun 13, 2005

Hi!

Is it usual to give the agency (to whom I have never worked before) my bank account information in the registration form? Is there any risk with it? They have told me they want to expand their data base.

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unacceptable queestions Jun 14, 2005

sarahl wrote:

Just curious.

I am used to irrelevant questions. I am talking about unacceptable questions.

Regards,

Rina

Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bank account information Jun 14, 2005

Diana Jiménez wrote:

Hi!

Is it usual to give the agency (to whom I have never worked before) my bank account information in the registration form? Is there any risk with it? They have told me they want to expand their data base.

I do not know what to say. Many times I was asked to fulfill the form and provide my bank account info. I am in doubt if there is a risk. I think that it is not necessary if I have never worked for that agency. I prefer to provide such data when invoicing. What do you think? Is it an acceptable question if you have not started cooperation with the agency. However, you are right, many, many forms include "bank account information".

Regards,

Rina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Required data in agency's form/questionnaire - okay just to leave them empty?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »