Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 12:28
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Dec 8, 2004

Hi everyone,

I have just landed on a job, that although it requires the use of foreign languages, it does not involve that much translating.

However, I would like to do some paid part time translation besides my full time job.

Are there any legal requirements in Germany to do that, such as Tax ID, or is there an income threshold?

Thanks!

Estefanía

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 13:28
Membro (2002)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Own experience Dec 9, 2004

Hi Estefanía,

I've been in the same situation in 2003 before going fully freelance in October last year.

Back then, I opted to be classified, in 2003, as a small business ("Kleinunternehmer") according to the German VAT Act ("Umsatzsteuergesetz"), which exempted me from stating VAT. As far as I know, the small business income threshold amounts to approx. EUR17k per year.

In terms of tax IDs, you have to distinguish between the normal Tax ID ("Steuernummer"
... See more
Hi Estefanía,

I've been in the same situation in 2003 before going fully freelance in October last year.

Back then, I opted to be classified, in 2003, as a small business ("Kleinunternehmer") according to the German VAT Act ("Umsatzsteuergesetz"), which exempted me from stating VAT. As far as I know, the small business income threshold amounts to approx. EUR17k per year.

In terms of tax IDs, you have to distinguish between the normal Tax ID ("Steuernummer"), which is assigned to you once you register with the tax office (inland revenue branch) covering your region/city - regardless of your annual income exceeding the threshold or not -, and the VAT ID ("Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer"), which is part of the EU-wide system. Please note that it is compulsory for you to get registered with inland revenue if you want to pursue freelance activities on the side - this principle should also apply to citizens from other EU member states residing in Germany.

You may wish to get in touch with a Steuerberater, though, to find out more about the requirements in your specific situation as legislation is amended almost every year.

Best of luck in your endeavours,

Steffen

[Edited at 2004-12-09 10:07]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Francia
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
What does it say in your employment contract? Dec 9, 2004

You may well have a clause in your employment contract that prohibits "Nebentätigkeiten". You should clear your plans to translate on the side with your employer first.

HTH

Alison

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2002)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Good point, Alison Dec 9, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:
You may well have a clause in your employment contract that prohibits "Nebentätigkeiten". You should clear your plans to translate on the side with your employer first.
HTH
Alison

It's indeed better to set the record straight at the outset. However, I think it is none of the employer's business what you do in your spare time as long as your ability to work for your employer according to their requirements is not compromised.

Best,
Steffen

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 12:28
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks! Dec 9, 2004

Thanks a lot for your help!

I found the information very useful

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating besides full time job in Germany

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »