Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:37
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jul 18, 2023

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2023/07/18/language/japanese-english-ai-translation/

Hans Lenting
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
DeepL Bad Jul 19, 2023

I never understood both the hype and paranoia over DeepL. For the types of texts I worked with, the output results were consistently garbage. Won't surprise me if DeepL would go belly up after LLMs have figured out a way to stop hallucinating, unless the company implemented their own version of generative AI.

P.L.F. Persio

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:37
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it depends on the lanuage pair Jul 20, 2023

I don't know Indonesian, but with Japanese it's a hit and miss process in variable degrees with all kinds of "intelligent" tools.

Of course, it also depends on the type of text you feed in. With the type of text we often work with, which is not to be found on the Internet and therefore cannot be harvested by any engine, both DeepL and ChatGPT, and all the others for that matter, quite often produce nonsense or, anyway, require to be double checked with traditional resources. Which
... See more
I don't know Indonesian, but with Japanese it's a hit and miss process in variable degrees with all kinds of "intelligent" tools.

Of course, it also depends on the type of text you feed in. With the type of text we often work with, which is not to be found on the Internet and therefore cannot be harvested by any engine, both DeepL and ChatGPT, and all the others for that matter, quite often produce nonsense or, anyway, require to be double checked with traditional resources. Which means that you end up spending the same amount of time as when you translate normally.

This, at least, has been our experience so far. Until now, ChatGPL has been a way more useful at rephrasing text than translating. Still, it needs to be checked word by word.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
はいはい Jul 21, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Pretty much the same. Although I have a somewhat better success with Google Translate. That doesn't mean I can feed anything into it, however. There are a few types of texts which are not suitable for automation, as you pointed out.

This, at least, has been our experience so far. Until now, ChatGPL has been a way more useful at rephrasing text than translating. Still, it needs to be checked word by word.

Let's keep in mind that LLM technology is still at its infancy. We're all just jumping the gun and already romanticizing the prospects of these tools. Even computer scientists don't fully understand how these things work. Also…

ChatGPL

I didn't know Richard Stallman made his own fork of ChatGPT.

[Edited at 2023-07-21 00:42 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

An interesting article on AI for Japanese to English translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »