Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?
Thread poster: WolfestoneGroup
jensskarpe
jensskarpe  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Member (2013)
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
XTM Aug 17, 2021

XTM Intl wrote:

jensskarpe wrote:

(...) Just a simple fact that there is no option to batch open files is a clear indication that the developers has no clue of translating nor the the competition.

Another thing is QA, it is so bad it is not even worth comenting. The only decent way is a way to complicated workflow of exporting files, run a XBench and go back file hopping for hours, or days if it is a big project.

(...)

Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry to read about your negative user experience with our product.
I would like to get back to you specifically on the product-related comments you posted in this thread.
It may depend on the XTM Cloud version that your client is using, but some of the functionalities you have highlighted are already available in XTM Cloud:

- You don't have to switch panel from TM to Concordance, you can drag and drop each tab of the docked panel and place it somewhere else, either in the same window, or in a separate browser window (ideal if you work on two screens).
- The same applies to all other tabs in the docked panel of course, so also Terminology, Inline tags, etc. You can also open Visual mode in a separate window
- QA profiles have been extended over the past releases and in the latest version (12.8) we have also added regex-based checks, which represent one of the most important and flexible functionalities when looking at other tools like XBench or other CAT Tools
- Since v12.6 (released back in December 2020) there is a QA tab in the docked panel, so you don't need to mouse over the QA warning in each segment, you can flexibly review a list of all QA issues found in the file and dismiss them in a batch or one by one. Each QA warning is also categorized based on the issue type (typo, grammar, etc.). See https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-manage-qa-warnings-from-within-the-docked-panel-in-xtm-workbench/
- The integration with Xbench is interactive, meaning that you can download the file directly to XBench, and by clicking on an issue in XBench you will be redirected to the corresponding segment in Workbench. See https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-perform-qa-in-xbench-2/

The possibility to open and manage multiple files within the same Workbench session is going to be released in one of our next versions and this represents one of our top priorities, as we are aware of how much value this would add to our users.
The same applies to productivity features like predictive typing, auto-conversion of numbers and separators, etc.

I would like to assure you that there is no feature that we develop in XTM Cloud without getting validation from our users, irrespective of their role (PM, linguist, etc.).
Our product and solution team is also made up of valuable members that used to work as linguists or PMs in the industry for a long time.
We constantly improve our product based on our users' feedback, and if you need any assistance please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team or just explore our Knowledge Base at https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/

Kind regards,
Sara Basile
---------------------------------------
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd.
www.xtm.cloud

Thanks Sara,

Seeing that XTM at least care enough to participate in these forums is positive.

- I will have to take your word regarding XTM getting validation from linguists, but the fact is still the same, and it is easy enough to confirm, XTM is not user friendly, and, quite frankly, hated by translators. So this is either not true, or there is some corporate/economic reason to why XTM do not prioritize the translating experience.

- Batch opening files: The sooner the better, you ar 10 years after the rest of the industry, and to me it is probably the biggest flaw in XTM. Fixing a QA or linguistic feedback in XTM for a medium or large project should be classified as torture.

- Regarding Fuzzy/Concordance, the problem is not so much the windows and not even the layout. I will compare XTM and Studio. When a segment is opened Studio defects to automated fuzzy search, and to do a concordance search I just hit F3 (Ctrl + Shift + left or right arrow to mark a word etc. works in both editors). In XTM you normally have to use the mouse, copy/paste the word, switch windows etc, but worst of all is that if you switch to concordance it doesnt change back to Fuzzy matched. This is a clear example of lack of feedback validation from profesional users.

- QA may not be as bad, but I have never had to study any knowledge base nor read any user manuals for any other CAT Tool, and I have used most of them. Another clear example of lack of feedback from profesional translators is that the spell check is integrated in the QA. At least the spell check is quite good, I would suspect Word based.

Another thought about online translating is that, for some strange reason, web browser have started to use very high resources. To be honest I think Chrome use more resources than Studio. So, my big question is, how to solve batch opening large files, get predective suggestions, auto fix numbers etc. withouth getting even slower. Anyone that have used XTM probably have had the same problem. You get a long lista with just numbers, one letter, names or whatever that you just want to commit as fast as possible, so you just hit enter as fast as posible. After 5-6 segments XTM normally lose the connection because it cant process the orders fast enough. Not a problem with Studio nor MemoQ, and even on a very old machine there are quick and easy work arounds. MemoQ that uses online TMs even have a automated option to work offline if the internet connection is lost or slow to save the user time.

Online translation tools is to me still something that is sold to companies that dont have a clue about translation or localization.

I will however do admit that XTM is probably by far the best online tool.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:59
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
@ jensskarpe Aug 18, 2021

jensskarpe wrote:

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Not really. You do it segment by segment. The time spent is offset by the auto-suggest feature of your preferred CAT tool, in addition to your TMs and glossaries.

[Edited at 2021-06-09 12:39 GMT]

I dont really want to defend XTM, but to be fair the files can be exported for offline translation, QA etc., so if you pretranslate the files in XTM and then export them you would at least have the fuzzies.

I know the files can be exported. I explained my workaround in my post from 3 June. I filter all of the unmatched segments and fuzzy matches up to 85% in XTM and export them to a Word file that I translate using another (desktop) CAT tool.

jensskarpe
jensskarpe  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Export in XTM Aug 18, 2021

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

jensskarpe wrote:

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Not really. You do it segment by segment. The time spent is offset by the auto-suggest feature of your preferred CAT tool, in addition to your TMs and glossaries.

[Edited at 2021-06-09 12:39 GMT]

I dont really want to defend XTM, but to be fair the files can be exported for offline translation, QA etc., so if you pretranslate the files in XTM and then export them you would at least have the fuzzies.

I know the files can be exported. I explained my workaround in my post from 3 June. I filter all of the unmatched segments and fuzzy matches up to 85% in XTM and export them to a Word file that I translate using another (desktop) CAT tool.

Yes, I read that, but was thinking it is easier to:
1. Pretranslate fuzzies etc. in XTM
2. Export a CAT supported format (I think XTM use xliff)
3. Translate (all or parts or whatever needed, just use filters if only translating parts)
4. Import the translated file back to XTM.

I really dont think copy pasting segment by segment is necessary.

Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good to know I am not the only one Sep 30, 2021

Just did my first job in XTM.

I could have done it twice as fast in Trados. It's so slow, the GUI not at all intuitive. But it was the QA that really gave me headaches. Individually ignoring false flags made the QA panel hang with a loading circle, and when I tried to ignore by selecting them all, only a handful got ignored.

Of all the online CAT tools I have worked with, only Memsource stands out (although I prefer to use the desktop version).

Philippe Noth
Miranda Drew
ipv
Elina Sellgren

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:59
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
A workaround Oct 6, 2021

ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd wrote:

Does XTM allow pasting the translated text in one go?

Georgi Kovachev wrote:
6. copy the translated text and paste it in XTM,

Today I found a workaround. You go to File Manager, from the three lines to the left of the file name, and download an XLF file that you can translate using your favourite CAT tool, CafeTran Espresso in my case.
You upload the translated XLF file back in XTM.
You need to confirm all segments. You may do that from the File menu in one go.

beronike
beronike
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can download the files, but can you download the TM and the TB? Oct 14, 2021

Downloading the translation files sounds good, but what if you want to/have to keep consistency or use previous translations. Ideally, there should be an option to download a package or a plain .zip or .rar folder with the translation files, TM, and TB. I doubt this is feasible though.

I like the current UI, especially compared to the
... See more
Downloading the translation files sounds good, but what if you want to/have to keep consistency or use previous translations. Ideally, there should be an option to download a package or a plain .zip or .rar folder with the translation files, TM, and TB. I doubt this is feasible though.

I like the current UI, especially compared to the old one. I really hated the old one (this one: https://xtm.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/cattool.x20893.jpg)

I love that it lets you download the project translation files or even bilingual Excel or PDF files.
Not all online tools allow this.

I still prefer working with desktop software, but I would say XTM is improving.
Collapse

judith ryan
judith ryan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:59
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
XTM is the pits Nov 24, 2021

Here are my complaints regarding XTM:

1) The QA feature is beyond horrible, slow, messy, very difficult to use as the errors are not brought to you, you have to search for them.

2) Depending on the document you have hundreds of tags to put in, tags from 1 to 9 are easy, after that it's a 2 step process where you have to switch focus, use a drop-down, so inefficient

3) The progress bar refers only to the segments displayed, then when you get to the bottom yo
... See more

1) The QA feature is beyond horrible, slow, messy, very difficult to use as the errors are not brought to you, you have to search for them.

2) Depending on the document you have hundreds of tags to put in, tags from 1 to 9 are easy, after that it's a 2 step process where you have to switch focus, use a drop-down, so inefficient

3) The progress bar refers only to the segments displayed, then when you get to the bottom you have to wait while XTM pulls up more segments.

It's just really horrible, personally I far prefer MemoQ and Wordfast, MemoQ in particular has a super QA.

I often refuse jobs just because they are in XTM.
Collapse

Miranda Drew
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Elina Sellgren

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
Your opinion on QA in XTM Workbench Nov 25, 2021

[/quote]

Hi Judith,

I appreciate you sharing your experience with the QA functionality in XTM Cloud.
I see several ways to improve it.

1) It may depend on the version you/your client are running. as of XTM Cloud v.12.6, which we released in December 2020, it is already possible to see the list of QA warning in the dedicated QA tab in the docked panel - which you can also drag and drop and place it wherever you prefer on the screen, or even open in a separate browser window/tab. Of course you don't need to focus on the QA warning segment by segment, you can reference the QA tab and filter or dismiss any false positives in one go.
Refer to:
How to manage QA warnings from within the docked panel in XTM Workbench
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/xtm-workbench/#:~:text=How%20to%20manage%20QA%20warnings%20from%20within%20the%20docked%20panel%20in%20XTM%20Workbench

2) I would like to recommend you using the automatic placement of inline tags (you can activate it in the Workbench settings). This is extremely helpful when handling files with so many inline tags as in your case. You would then confirm the segments when you are fine with they way they were placed. There is also a segment filter that enables you to see only the segments where tags were placed automatically
Refer to:
How to enable auto-inserted inline tags (needs to be enabled by the client admin first)
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/xtm-workbench/#:~:text=How%20to%20enable%20auto-inserted,for%20auto-inserted%20inline%20tags

How to filter for segments with auto-inserted inline tags
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-filter-for-segments-with-auto-inserted-inline-tags/

How to set shortcuts for auto-inserted inline tags
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-set-shortcuts-for-auto-inserted-tags/

3) The progress and additional information is related to the entire file you are working on.

We would really like to help you get the most out of our product. Don't hesitate to reach out to us or visit our assets on XTM OnDemand.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

tptrltr
tptrltr  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Steer well away from this joke of CAT tool if you can Dec 6, 2021

Having read through this topic, I have to agree that about the only positive thing about XTM is their response to the commenters...

Now, I've been using proper CAT tools for over two decades. What appears to be obvious for XTM (disclaimer: I'll only speak to XTM Cloud, as that's the only version I've been constrained to use occasionally) is that it was not created by translators, for translators. Just one thing about it that grinds my gears to no end is the wanton need to use your m
... See more
Having read through this topic, I have to agree that about the only positive thing about XTM is their response to the commenters...

Now, I've been using proper CAT tools for over two decades. What appears to be obvious for XTM (disclaimer: I'll only speak to XTM Cloud, as that's the only version I've been constrained to use occasionally) is that it was not created by translators, for translators. Just one thing about it that grinds my gears to no end is the wanton need to use your mouse. I mean, c'mon, translation is about typing after all, so every time you need to lift a hand and reach for the mouse is a nuisance.

As said previously, XTM's counterintuitive, wanting of functionality essential in proper CAT tools, horribly slow (sluggish even on the best of days), auto propagation seems to non-existent apart from the manufacturer's claims, and the list goes on. IMHO, Across is just a tad better.

Mind you, I'm no great fan of Trados Studio, with its GUI recklessly cluttered with close to a hundred clickable elements in Editor view, and any number of legacy bugs that'll likely never be eradicated, but it's still lightyears ahead. And Kilgray have managed to easily best them all, having done an amazing job with MemoQ, in every respect. Particularly in terms of utility, ease-of-use, GUI, features and functionality.

I've developed a simple way to judge whether a CAT tool is good. The number of expletives I'm ultimately forced to utter during use. I'll leave it up to you to guess which one wins in that respect out of the four I've named in this post.
Collapse

ipv
Miranda Drew
Teresa Finn
J. Goldman
Carla Griecco

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool? Feb 7, 2022

Interesting 3D

I just received an offer by a big medical final customer that wants all linguists use XTM

I replied this way:

considering that a XTM is mandatory, I fed up
have a great day, and don't read this 10 pages 3D (where 3D is linked to this page)
LOL

Philippe Noth
J. Goldman

ipv
ipv
Member (2015)
English to Croatian
+ ...
J. Conrad sums it up well: Feb 8, 2022

"The horror! The horror!"

J. Goldman
Philippe Noth

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
My list of complaints Feb 12, 2022

I agree that the tool has been improved over the past year but it still leaves a lot to desire:

Search is still very spotty, sometimes it does find all words, sometimes it does not.

Correcting (supposedly) misspelled words (highlighted in yellow) is a pain. The tool forces you to either open the drop down menu or to press ESC before it is possible to correct an error. It is not possible to just place the cursor within a word and correct the error. This leads to consider
... See more
I agree that the tool has been improved over the past year but it still leaves a lot to desire:

Search is still very spotty, sometimes it does find all words, sometimes it does not.

Correcting (supposedly) misspelled words (highlighted in yellow) is a pain. The tool forces you to either open the drop down menu or to press ESC before it is possible to correct an error. It is not possible to just place the cursor within a word and correct the error. This leads to considerable loss of time.

Auto-propagation does not work when a confirmed segment is changed. I have to go through the entire file to find identical sentences and change them. Since search/replace is not reliable, this is a perfect recipe for desaster. In Trados a pop-up opens and I am asked whether I want to auto-propagate the change to the next segment/all segments/none etc.

Once a previously confirmed segment is changed the segment status does not change back to unconfirmed. When using the Replace All feature it is not possible to verify the changes, which is very important for languages which have declensions/several genders.
Collapse

Teresa Finn
ipv
J. Goldman
Ulla Kask

Teresa Finn
Teresa Finn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
Member (2016)
German to English
Hate this tool Feb 21, 2022

I agree with many of the negative comments here. It is by far the slowest tool I've used so far, most especially QA. When I began to receive work in the tool a few months ago I thought my impatience was just through not knowing it but I'm quite experienced now and my experience is that any given job takes nearly twice as long to do.
Translations I have just made (and saved) do not show in concordance. Instead I have to search to find my previous translations, the tool is suggesting the sav
... See more
I agree with many of the negative comments here. It is by far the slowest tool I've used so far, most especially QA. When I began to receive work in the tool a few months ago I thought my impatience was just through not knowing it but I'm quite experienced now and my experience is that any given job takes nearly twice as long to do.
Translations I have just made (and saved) do not show in concordance. Instead I have to search to find my previous translations, the tool is suggesting the saved crap previous translations over my one from two minutes ago

Is there a way of exporting to a proper CAT tool and then reimporting? There's a comment from quite a while back that implies it exists
Collapse

Miranda Drew
Philippe Noth
ipv
J. Goldman

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:59
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Teresa - Yes, but... Feb 23, 2022

Teresa Finn wrote:

Is there a way of exporting to a proper CAT tool and then reimporting? There's a comment from quite a while back that implies it exists

Yes, but only if the agency allows it. Which they invariably do not, with varying reasons given, ranging from "security" to "the client won't allow it".

Miranda Drew

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Theresa Feb 24, 2022

Teresa Finn wrote:
Is there a way of exporting to a proper CAT tool and then reimporting?

As Rudolf had said, whether you can export & import the source files depends on whether that feature has been enabled by the client or the client's client. Try seeing if you can access the "File Manager", and right-clicking on some file or project to open a screen from where you can export or import. The usual export is an XLIFF file. I believe under certain circumstances you can also export TMX, but I've never done so successfully.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »