Desperate with Studio 2021, should I upgrade to 2022?
Thread poster: Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:29
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oct 10, 2022

I'm desperate with my 2021 studio: crashing unexpectedly, suddenly I cannot add variables, when Studio is opened with projects in "In progress" status view, all projects are displayed (I have to switch to other view and return to "In progress" in order to see it properly), Termbase does not work properly and many more.

I consider upgrading to 2022, but it is really annoying. I bought 2021 just 2 years ago, and from a software that cost several hundred euros I expect to work properly
... See more
I'm desperate with my 2021 studio: crashing unexpectedly, suddenly I cannot add variables, when Studio is opened with projects in "In progress" status view, all projects are displayed (I have to switch to other view and return to "In progress" in order to see it properly), Termbase does not work properly and many more.

I consider upgrading to 2022, but it is really annoying. I bought 2021 just 2 years ago, and from a software that cost several hundred euros I expect to work properly much more time, and not having to invest another 200-300 euros every two years in upgrading.

Unfortunately, I must work with Studio, but I'm afraid to have the same or other problems, and throw to the garbage more then 200 euros.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How much Oct 10, 2022

How much would it cost you to get someone to do a clean re-installation of Windows and all your existing programs?

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can do it by myself Oct 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

How much would it cost you to get someone to do a clean re-installation of Windows and all your existing programs?

But how would that help me?

All other programs work fine, including Studio 2015, and the problems with 2021 began quite from the beginning.
I see that I'm not the only one having these problems, and the SDL/RWS support gives no solutions except for "its a know issue".

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:29
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Reinstall/repair Studio first Oct 10, 2022

Hi,

If you had this problems straight from the start, your initial installation might not have worked as it should. As a first resort, I would reinstall Studio or use the repair function. There is plenty of information about that on the RWS Studio website.

Also double-check that your PC performance is adequate for Studio 2021 if you have not done so.

I recently upgraded to Studio 2022 and am pleasantly surprised how much quicker it is than Studio 2021, so d
... See more
Hi,

If you had this problems straight from the start, your initial installation might not have worked as it should. As a first resort, I would reinstall Studio or use the repair function. There is plenty of information about that on the RWS Studio website.

Also double-check that your PC performance is adequate for Studio 2021 if you have not done so.

I recently upgraded to Studio 2022 and am pleasantly surprised how much quicker it is than Studio 2021, so definitely keep an eye out for good upgrade offers and upgrade at a suitable time.

Studio is one of the more expensive programs in that area, and if you have to use it, then I think it would be best to just factor those costs into your rate for those projects.

You could also consider taking up out a support plan with Studio if you find it difficult to fix the issue yourself.

Hope you can get your problems solved,

Kristina
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm quite a power user of Trados Oct 21, 2022

I've been working with Trados already since the happy days of Trados 6.5, so I know how to install and set it up.

Those things that I mention are known issues that "for some reason" (which I can only guess) RWS doesn't bother to solve.... See more
I've been working with Trados already since the happy days of Trados 6.5, so I know how to install and set it up.

Those things that I mention are known issues that "for some reason" (which I can only guess) RWS doesn't bother to solve.
For example:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/36154/variables-not-sticking/
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/33126/sdl-trados-2021-projects-menu-show-completed-jobs-as-in-progress

I already bought MemoQ. Perhaps this is the solution for the problem.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desperate with Studio 2021, should I upgrade to 2022?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »