Softitler SNL Client not working with Vista 64-bit
Thread poster: smilla_2004
smilla_2004
smilla_2004
English to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a new computer that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1 edition on it. Ever since, I haven't been able to download any of the Softitler software, such as Eddie, UNS Tools etc. I followed their Support instructions step by step and downloaded the .NET Framework 2.0 - at the end of the installation process, I received a message saying that the 2.0 version is not compatible with Vista. I therefore installed the 3.0 version of .NET Framework (and
... See more
Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a new computer that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1 edition on it. Ever since, I haven't been able to download any of the Softitler software, such as Eddie, UNS Tools etc. I followed their Support instructions step by step and downloaded the .NET Framework 2.0 - at the end of the installation process, I received a message saying that the 2.0 version is not compatible with Vista. I therefore installed the 3.0 version of .NET Framework (and I am wondering if this is not the reason why SNL is not working). After installing .NET Framework 3.0, I installed the SNL client from the website, made sure the User Account Control was off and logged in. I must have done this at least 50 times, and every time I get SNL Client popping up and saying that "Your programs are up to date". When in fact, none of the Eddie, UNS Tools etc. programs are installed on my computer.

After a dozen e-mails going back and forth between me and Support BLR, in which they were telling me to un-install and re-install SNL Client, to run a PC Analyze on my computer and send back the log etc., they stopped answering, so this probably means they are unable to help me.

Has anybody had the same experience? I read the forum posts about Softitler programs not being compatible with Vista, some of which date back to 2008 or even 2007, and I would like to know if anybody has had the same problem and was maybe able to fix it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I had the same problem but it was easily solved Mar 5, 2009

Hi smilla_2004

I had the exact same problem when I bought a new PC running on Vista Home Premium. But I could easily solve the problem by following the steps given by the Helpdesk. Are you sure you followed correctly all the steps. My advice is to review each step again, maybe something is missing.

The steps they gave me were very simple:

First, deactivate UAC.

Please ensure that your display settings are set to 16 bit.

You
... See more
Hi smilla_2004

I had the exact same problem when I bought a new PC running on Vista Home Premium. But I could easily solve the problem by following the steps given by the Helpdesk. Are you sure you followed correctly all the steps. My advice is to review each step again, maybe something is missing.

The steps they gave me were very simple:

First, deactivate UAC.

Please ensure that your display settings are set to 16 bit.

You can go ahead and download all the programs from SNL. To do this:
Open your Internet Explorer and go to TOOLS-->INTERNET OPTIONS-->SECURITY.
Look in the white section at the upper part of this page and click on the green icon TRUSTED SITES.
The button under the white window should be activated.
Click on this button SITES.
Type in http://snl.bydeluxe.com in to the trusted sites window and click on ADD-->OK.
Restart your computer before log on to SNL.

Log on to SNL and download all available updates. If you are not prompted to download automatically then do the following:
- Log onto SNL and click on Software.
- Select Softlink Updates and Scan for updates.
- Download all the latest available programs onto your system.
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:50
English to French
+ ...
Partition Mar 6, 2009

If you are confident enough, you can create a new partition on your hard disk, and install XP 32 bits on it.

I would recommend trying the solution given by Elisabete first.

smilla_2004
smilla_2004
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.Net Framework 3.0 might be the problem? Mar 6, 2009

Hi Elisabete and Arnaud,

Thank you for your suggestions. I did follow the Support's instructions carefully (I must know their e-mail by heart by now), I don't think I missed anything. What worries me is the .Net Framework, since I have the 3.0 version installed instead of the 2.0 version that they recommend. Maybe SNL Client is not compatible with the 3.0 version - I will try tod un-install it, although .Net Framework 2.0 didn't seem to be working with Vista the first time I tried i
... See more
Hi Elisabete and Arnaud,

Thank you for your suggestions. I did follow the Support's instructions carefully (I must know their e-mail by heart by now), I don't think I missed anything. What worries me is the .Net Framework, since I have the 3.0 version installed instead of the 2.0 version that they recommend. Maybe SNL Client is not compatible with the 3.0 version - I will try tod un-install it, although .Net Framework 2.0 didn't seem to be working with Vista the first time I tried it.

Your suggestion is good, Arnaud, I haven't thought of that. But I would rather use my old computer for work for Softitler than overload my new one - I have a lot of space at the moment, and I intend to keep it that way, since I am expecting to install some other more useful programs in the future.
Collapse

Ewa Nowicka
Ewa Nowicka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
new SNL Mar 6, 2009

Hi, I will email you soon with the solution I received wen I had a similar problem.
Hope it will work!
Eva

Ewa Nowicka
Ewa Nowicka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
firewall Mar 6, 2009

I have sent you a message through proz.

Also, remember to disable your firewall (especially the Windows one)
and turn off your user account control before you apply the steps I sent.

Also, disable your DAP (Download Accelerator) if you have one.

Hope this helps,
Eva

[Edited at 2009-03-06 12:39 GMT]

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:50
English to French
+ ...
Safer Mar 6, 2009

smilla_2004 wrote:

Your suggestion is good, Arnaud, I haven't thought of that. But I would rather use my old computer for work for Softitler than overload my new one - I have a lot of space at the moment, and I intend to keep it that way, since I am expecting to install some other more useful programs in the future.

Using your old computer is safer. It avoids trying to partition, which is always risky. You can lose your data (your documents).

However, some people like to install a second, auxiliary system on their computer, just in case the first one fails completely, in order to still be able to access their documents. That's what I did.

A mid-way solution can be to buy a second hard disk, and install the auxiliary system there. In your case I would suggest XP 32 bits. Thus when the computer starts, you have the choice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Softitler SNL Client not working with Vista 64-bit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »