Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:49
Dutch to French
+ ...
Jul 19, 2006

On both my computers, I have Firefox/Tbird installed, on PC - XP.

However, on my desktop, whenever I click on a link in an email, nothing happens. On the laptop, clicking a link opens a tab in Firefox with the page concerned, which is a normal behaviour.

I've been around and around all parameters of both Firefox and Tbird but can't find anything that to make this work.

Both versions were 1.0.6, but just changed for Tbird 1.5.0.4. (hoping this might have cha
... See more
On both my computers, I have Firefox/Tbird installed, on PC - XP.

However, on my desktop, whenever I click on a link in an email, nothing happens. On the laptop, clicking a link opens a tab in Firefox with the page concerned, which is a normal behaviour.

I've been around and around all parameters of both Firefox and Tbird but can't find anything that to make this work.

Both versions were 1.0.6, but just changed for Tbird 1.5.0.4. (hoping this might have changed miraculously... but it didn't)

Any idea where this prob might come from ?

Tks
Elisabeth
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Would upgrading Firefox help? Jul 19, 2006

I've no idea if it would make any difference, but the latest Firefox is also 1.5.0.4, so it might be worth upgrading to that too, maybe the two versions would be more compatible with each other.
I once had a different problem with Thunderbird - it wouldn't display Cyrillic characters properly in emails from ProZ - and I found that while simply reinstalling Thunderbird made no difference, I was able to cure it by uninstalling Thunderbird, then searching for and deleting all remaining files
... See more
I've no idea if it would make any difference, but the latest Firefox is also 1.5.0.4, so it might be worth upgrading to that too, maybe the two versions would be more compatible with each other.
I once had a different problem with Thunderbird - it wouldn't display Cyrillic characters properly in emails from ProZ - and I found that while simply reinstalling Thunderbird made no difference, I was able to cure it by uninstalling Thunderbird, then searching for and deleting all remaining files still on the computer, then running a registry cleaner, and then downloading and installing Thunderbird. Perhaps that is something else you might try.
Collapse

LinguisticsBA
LinguisticsBA
Spanish to English
Links in emails Jul 19, 2006

Hi,

I have not used Thunderbird but there are a couple of things that you might try.

First, most email client software can be set to display email in HTML view or ASCII text only. Is your email client set to view incoming email as HTML? If it is ASCII text only then you cannot click on the link so you want HTML.

For example, if you copy the text into a Word document and click on the link while pressing the Control key, does the page open in your browser?
... See more
Hi,

I have not used Thunderbird but there are a couple of things that you might try.

First, most email client software can be set to display email in HTML view or ASCII text only. Is your email client set to view incoming email as HTML? If it is ASCII text only then you cannot click on the link so you want HTML.

For example, if you copy the text into a Word document and click on the link while pressing the Control key, does the page open in your browser? Is so, then it is HTML.

If you do have HTML email, then maybe you have to do what you do with links in Word documents. Try holding down the Control key while you click on the link.
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
On Windows... Jul 20, 2006

It might be this:

Press your start button on Windows, then go to "Set programme access and defaults", wherein you should be able to set all weblinks to open in Firefox, or whichever browser you have installed.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mine sometimes starts MS Explorer Jul 20, 2006

When clicking a link in a mail-message in Thunderbird MS Explorer opened, though default browser is Firefox. This happend last week, but after that this stupidity disappeared before I had time to do anything. Strange, isn't it?
Sorry I cannot give more advice than installing Firefox anew, which should set itself as default browser on your system.

Regards
Heinrich

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:49
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eureka ! Jul 20, 2006

Jeremy Smith wrote:

It might be this:

Press your start button on Windows, then go to "Set programme access and defaults", wherein you should be able to set all weblinks to open in Firefox, or whichever browser you have installed.

This is what did the trick ! Great, I was getting tired of copy/pasting all url's.

Thanks guys !

Elisabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird - links in emails won't open in Firefox

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »