Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why do we repeatedly publish the same topics in the forums?
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 3, 2010

Please, enumerate your opinion below

1) We do not care about previous forums on the same topic
2) We do not know or ignore that an advanced search function for the forums exists
3) There are issues of general interest for those no appropriate solution has been found until now

[Editado a las 2010-03-03 10:08 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Why not? Mar 3, 2010

Why not? What's wrong with reexamining issues discussed in the past? Take a fresh look at things as they are now. Don't see the problem.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Redundant subjects Mar 3, 2010

I agree there are repeatedly redundant topics such as KudoZ abuse or low rates, but perhaps there are new members that want to re-discuss it, so I don't see what's wrong with that?

Perhaps they want to discuss these issues from their own angle, so re-opening an old thread with the same topic wouldn't work for them?

I don't mind it, though I've seen "KudoZ abuse and variations" threads hundreds of times so far....
See more
I agree there are repeatedly redundant topics such as KudoZ abuse or low rates, but perhaps there are new members that want to re-discuss it, so I don't see what's wrong with that?

Perhaps they want to discuss these issues from their own angle, so re-opening an old thread with the same topic wouldn't work for them?

I don't mind it, though I've seen "KudoZ abuse and variations" threads hundreds of times so far.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
hot potatoes and technical problems Mar 3, 2010

I think the hot potatoes will always come up (low rates, scams, kudoz abuse, etc.) because new opinions can always be added.

But I think Pablo is referring to technical problems (how do I .... in a CAT tool) which only have one answer (or a limited number of possibilities) but still crop up again and again. In that case I would say that people prefer to post a new topic on their problem in case old, similar issues from part forums don't quite apply. Mostly it's a question of lack of
... See more
I think the hot potatoes will always come up (low rates, scams, kudoz abuse, etc.) because new opinions can always be added.

But I think Pablo is referring to technical problems (how do I .... in a CAT tool) which only have one answer (or a limited number of possibilities) but still crop up again and again. In that case I would say that people prefer to post a new topic on their problem in case old, similar issues from part forums don't quite apply. Mostly it's a question of lack of knowledge using their software and some basic training would the best answer.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pablo Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
2) We do not know or ignore that an advanced search function for the forums exists
3) There are issues of general interest for those no appropriate solution has been found until now.

The fact that people prefer to re-ask old questions instead of searching for answers in the archives is not unique to ProZ.com. It happens in *all* forums and mailing lists. I can speculate about the reasons:

1. It is quicker to ask a question than to search for its answer.
2. Even if you know that a question has been asked before, it would take a long time plowing through old posts.
3. It is not always easy to tell whether your problem is a common one, and whether your specific circumstances may render the usual (previous) advice irrelevant.
4. No-one pays for sending posts.
5. The people who answer posts, are not paid, and therefore anyone is free not to answer.

Instead of trying to make it easier for people to search the archives (which is a good thing by itself), there should be systems that make it easy for regular answerers to quickly find the answer (in a previous thread or on some wiki page) and post it, without having to spend a lot of time rewriting the answer all over again.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A different question Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I don't wonder about why people keep answering the same questions over and over again. They are merely being helpful. What I do wonder about, is why some people would answer a question even if the exact same answer has already been provided in that same thread! It is as if people are keen to be seen. They don't believe it is important to make a unique contribution, as long as it's a contribution.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Wiki Mar 3, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Instead of trying to make it easier for people to search the archives (which is a good thing by itself), there should be systems that make it easy for regular answerers to quickly find the answer (in a previous thread or on some wiki page) and post it, without having to spend a lot of time rewriting the answer all over again.

I fully agree, for repeat technical issues, more focus should be put on making it easier to find the information quickly, rather than sort through a million forum posts... which is why I fully support the Proz Wiki.

For those who aren't yet aware that a Proz.com Wiki exists, have a look here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/159185-prozcom_wiki.html

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why do we repeatedly publish the same topics in the forums? Mar 3, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

But I think Pablo is referring to technical problems (how do I .... in a CAT tool) which only have one answer (or a limited number of possibilities) but still crop up again and again. In that case I would say that people prefer to post a new topic on their problem in case old, similar issues from part forums don't quite apply. Mostly it's a question of lack of knowledge using their software and some basic training would the best answer.

In this case, should I deduce that we as translators community are not able to frying a potato (to settle recurrent problems as the mentioned ones...)? And also the second thing. There exist technical problems on which information is requested up to the point to bore a potato too. For example, wich is the best way to convert a pdf to a rtf or doc file...

http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&client=firefox-a&hs=V1S&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&q="me%20aburrí%20como%20una%20patata"&btnG=Buscar&meta=&aq=f&oq=

[Editado a las 2010-03-03 11:54 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:09
French to English
4) Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

4) The site's failure to implement a system of stickies and/or announcements as used by almost every other forum in the universe, keeping certain topics at the top of the page permanently or temporarily (this would also require the defult forum display to be the "last post" version). For example, a single thread, called perhaps "OMG look at these outrageous rates. Why oh Why oh Why....Something Must Be Done", as a sticky, would remove the need for many new threads every week.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, why? Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Like this one?

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/49048-why_do_people_repeatedly_post_on_subjects_that_were_extensively_discussed_before.html

Oh, well... I found the topic quoted above, didn't I?

3) There are issues of general interest for those no appropriate solution has been found until now

See above, but also:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/27406-this_has_been_discussed_before_issue.html

You see, all topics will recur from time to time... Even topics on recurring topics.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
@ Pablo Mar 3, 2010

There exist technical problems on which information is requested up to the point to bore a potato too.

Ha ha! I shall go make some lunch now (yes, potatoes are on the menu)

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
stickies Mar 3, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

4) The site's failure to implement a system of stickies and/or announcements as used by almost every other forum in the universe, keeping certain topics at the top of the page permanently or temporarily (this would also require the defult forum display to be the "last post" version). For example, a single thread, called perhaps "OMG look at these outrageous rates. Why oh Why oh Why....Something Must Be Done", as a sticky, would remove the need for many new threads every week.

Yes, this might also deal with the flood of "Hi, I've just registered, tell me how I can find work as a translator" threads in "getting established".

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
But.... Mar 3, 2010

The common disclaimer is:

"I know this has been discussed before, but my question/ problem is different."

or the "lazy" disclaimer

"I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't found the answer in the forums."

The only thing I can say for myself is that it is very difficult (or at least not very easy) to punch in a search phrase that would bring up the right thread and most of the time, the thread soon starts moving off on a tange
... See more
The common disclaimer is:

"I know this has been discussed before, but my question/ problem is different."

or the "lazy" disclaimer

"I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't found the answer in the forums."

The only thing I can say for myself is that it is very difficult (or at least not very easy) to punch in a search phrase that would bring up the right thread and most of the time, the thread soon starts moving off on a tangent when people start to digress, elaborate and dilute the topic on hand...

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:09
German to English
With Charlie and others -- need some stickies Mar 3, 2010

There should be some sort of a "Look here first" link to regularly discussed topics, such as how to convert pdf to text, how to get started, what CAT tools are, etc.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:09
French to English
Secondary purpose Mar 3, 2010

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
Yes, this might also deal with the flood of "Hi, I've just registered, tell me how I can find work as a translator" threads in "getting established".

Right enough. On the other hand, those starting such threads are telling the public at large a great deal about a) their initiative (or lack thereof) and b) their search skills (ditto) and so could be said to be performing a useful function in that respect.

(Edit to correct inevitable typo!)

[Edited at 2010-03-03 13:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do we repeatedly publish the same topics in the forums?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »