For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Introduction to the Wordfast Translation Studio

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Introduction to the Wordfast Translation Studio".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Susanna Schropp
Susanna Schropp  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:44
English to German
+ ...
End of Wordfast Webinar? Course material to download? Jun 17, 2010

Hi,
Could you please tell me when this Wordfast Webinar ends and whether I will be able to download any course material?
Many thanks
Wasserlily

Sales Admin
Sales Admin

Local time: 06:44
English
Wordfast Webinar Jun 18, 2010

The Wordfast free webinar will be an informational 1 hour session, rather than a traditional training session.

However, we will make the data covered in the session available after the webinar along with any links/offers discussed during the webinar.

We look forward to sharing the webinar with you.

Regards,

Leslie MacFadyen
ProZ.com

GDLS
GDLS
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Wordfast Webinar........Wordfast Vs Trados Jun 19, 2010

Hi there.
How refreshing to find something for free! I am actually going through the pain of deciding on a TM memory for my language agency, to help me project manage in all languages that I could need whilst offering more efficiencies and consistencies with repetitive copy for relevant client. I can see Trados is approx 10 times the price of Wordfast but is it justified? Does it save me more time with my work? Does it deliver better or more efficient work? Does it work on Mac better than
... See more
Hi there.
How refreshing to find something for free! I am actually going through the pain of deciding on a TM memory for my language agency, to help me project manage in all languages that I could need whilst offering more efficiencies and consistencies with repetitive copy for relevant client. I can see Trados is approx 10 times the price of Wordfast but is it justified? Does it save me more time with my work? Does it deliver better or more efficient work? Does it work on Mac better than wordfast? Is one easier more user friendly than another? I would love to hear your suggestions and assume that this course may help me in deciding too.. Any suggestions would be gratful.
I will come back to you about the seminar....
Collapse

GDLS
GDLS
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to Georgian
+ ...
When will this be repeated? Jun 21, 2010

Hi there.
Unfortunately I cannot attend this seminar but would like to see it some time soon. Will it be on again. If so are there any future dates organised?
Regards
Jose

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are webinar recordings available Jun 21, 2010

Dear José,

Thanks for your interest in this webinar.

I can't confirm right now new dates for this webinar, but it will be most likely towards the end of the year.

If you can't attend the session, you can watch the free webinar recordings on Wordfast and other CAT tools at ProZ.com Video center: http://www.proz.com/videos/cat%20tool%20webinars There you wi
... See more
Dear José,

Thanks for your interest in this webinar.

I can't confirm right now new dates for this webinar, but it will be most likely towards the end of the year.

If you can't attend the session, you can watch the free webinar recordings on Wordfast and other CAT tools at ProZ.com Video center: http://www.proz.com/videos/cat%20tool%20webinars There you will also find comparison and overview videos on other CAT tools that will help you with your question above.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards,

Soledad
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
I attended today's session Jun 23, 2010

Hi,
Despite some technical problems and some moments of panic when the noise of the keyboard was caught by the microphone and left room to fear that the poor old Jamie was taken in the middle of an earthquake, this webinar was very interesting. I learnt a lot, and I'll watch again the recording later, at my leisure, in order to go deeper into some details and improve my knowledge of Wordfast. These free webinars are a real
... See more
Hi,
Despite some technical problems and some moments of panic when the noise of the keyboard was caught by the microphone and left room to fear that the poor old Jamie was taken in the middle of an earthquake, this webinar was very interesting. I learnt a lot, and I'll watch again the recording later, at my leisure, in order to go deeper into some details and improve my knowledge of Wordfast. These free webinars are a real asset.
Thank you
Catherine
Collapse

sylvia1000
sylvia1000
Local time: 13:44
English to Greek
+ ...
thanks for making this possible Jun 24, 2010

the fact that there were a couple of technical problems is rather expected given the nature of the event. Overall it was very professional and helpful and reflects the superiority of this site. May there be more!
The recording of the session is pure professionalism- thanks everybody for making this possible.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good Job! Jun 24, 2010

I enjoyed the Webinar. I have been concentrating on learning to use Wordfast Pro so I was not a complete novice. However, this was a perfect introduction for me to Wordfast Classic. It was nice to see how TMs and glossaries are compatible between the two versions. The Webinar also answered a question I had regarding the translation of projects for agencies using Wordfast Anywhere when you own the full version of the program. I think a lot of material was covered in one hour. However, for those w... See more
I enjoyed the Webinar. I have been concentrating on learning to use Wordfast Pro so I was not a complete novice. However, this was a perfect introduction for me to Wordfast Classic. It was nice to see how TMs and glossaries are compatible between the two versions. The Webinar also answered a question I had regarding the translation of projects for agencies using Wordfast Anywhere when you own the full version of the program. I think a lot of material was covered in one hour. However, for those with no prior experience with CAT tools, I think that a better sample document could have been used. Something with short sentences with small differences, so that the moderator could quickly enter the translation, go to the next segment and demonstrate the tool. Something like (/ = new segment): This is a dog. This dog is white / This is a dog. This dog is black. / I like white dogs. / I like white dogs too. / I don't like dogs. / I like dogs, but only small dogs. / I like dogs, but only large dogs. etc.

I also created another sample to test in Pro that went something like: This sentence is written in bold. (text in bold) / This sentence is written in italics. / This sentence is written in a very large font., etc. Then translate the sentences in Pro and preview in word - to show how the text formatting is automatically retained without the need for the translator to worry about formatting.
Collapse

yuliy
yuliy  Identity Verified
English to Russian
different opinion Jun 24, 2010

There is always something new to learn or at least to get an idea.
I cannot say that the last seminar was “a perfect introduction” and helpful for those who just started looking around to pick up a translation tool
The presentation besides some technical problems was made in a way assuming people already knew something and not “an informational 1 hour session”, as it was advertised.
The "structure" of the seminar, as it seems to me wasn't comprehensive for beginners <
... See more
There is always something new to learn or at least to get an idea.
I cannot say that the last seminar was “a perfect introduction” and helpful for those who just started looking around to pick up a translation tool
The presentation besides some technical problems was made in a way assuming people already knew something and not “an informational 1 hour session”, as it was advertised.
The "structure" of the seminar, as it seems to me wasn't comprehensive for beginners
I would rather follow explanations like first the Big picture, -> the chapters, -> the functions, -> the details, -> the examples, - > the advantages. Not just randomly galloping through.

My opinion, as they say, may not align with the others

In my personal case - I'm out of a regular job, just recently became a ProZ.com member, not knowing what to expect and how soon I maybe given a chance. There are so many freelance translators (English-Russian-English) so I can hardly believe it may happen soon.
In other words - 330 € worth spending when you are in business. Everybody understands this.

Thanks anyway for the seminar.

Sincerely,
Yuliy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introduction to the Wordfast Translation Studio

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »