Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which of these animals best represents the freelance translator, in your opinion?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apples to oranges Feb 21, 2012

A more intelligent question would involve pairing an animal to one of a translator's skills...Yet it would still be a boring analogy.

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Local time: 16:16
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
I feel rather Feb 21, 2012

I feel rather like a spider and its cobweb.

Don't know how to explain, but sometimes my long hours, days, years dedicated to building this web are simply blown away by unexplicable grounds

The Group-Headquarters decided to manage all translations for all different Countries, we have a new bilingual employee, we need a different CAT tool, we do not pay for urgency, repetitions, we need 30 pages for tomorrow)....

I have no Art. 18 (for Italians only) and so
... See more
I feel rather like a spider and its cobweb.

Don't know how to explain, but sometimes my long hours, days, years dedicated to building this web are simply blown away by unexplicable grounds

The Group-Headquarters decided to manage all translations for all different Countries, we have a new bilingual employee, we need a different CAT tool, we do not pay for urgency, repetitions, we need 30 pages for tomorrow)....

I have no Art. 18 (for Italians only) and sometimes I feel I have to start my cobweb every day anew.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:46
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Tiger Feb 21, 2012

Reasons:

Perhaps because I am from India and also because I have actually seen a wild tiger, so I know how majestic this beast is.

I have a high level of self-respect for my profession, which I consider to be a noble and lofty one, and freelance translators in my opinion best compare to tigers - lonely beasts who live by their strength and majesty and are disdainful of criticisms, and snide comments of the job-holding types!

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
funny question :) Feb 21, 2012

I think I would go for a cross of the "unknown fossil with a forked tongue" and the "hermit crab"

Karin

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Mole Feb 21, 2012

I sometimes think of myself as a mole burrowing away and rarely coming out into the daylight.

Also quite solitary.

There is a cartoon joke that I cannot quite remember... there are two moles, the "husband" is sitting in an armchair smoking a pipe and the "wife" is complaining, saying something like, '"The trouble is Jeffrey, you've never had tunnel vision".

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 23:16
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Same here Feb 22, 2012

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

I spend all day long speaking to myself and nobody pays any attention to me.

The only difference is that some people (neighbors) do pay attention to me with windows opened in summer

[Edited at 2012-02-22 23:20 GMT]

David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
Wise owl Feb 22, 2012

Up all night

Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)
Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
I voted "chameleon" but the below definitions are excellent too... Feb 22, 2012

Andrea Brumma wrote:

Haha, I love that one.
I am a hybrid.
A chameleon for adapting to new subjects and challenges every day.
A hermit crab, because this is my personality - I love being alone and undisturbed.
A bookworm, because I love reading.
A smiling cat – when investing in CAT tools pays back instead of resulting in clients demanding unreasonable discounts or deadlines.
With “potential clients” trying to throw peanuts at me, I sometimes feel like a monkey, but the good thing is that I am not a monkey in a cage, but a free(lance) one that can reject those peanuts and look for huge and tasty bananas elsewhere.

One of the best posts I have ever read ! It made me laugh and I totally agree ! Congratulations on this post. Feels good to know that other people think and feel like yourself...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which of these animals best represents the freelance translator, in your opinion?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »