จำนวนหน้าตามหัวข้อ:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: What type of chair do you have at your workspace?
เธรดต่อผู้เขียนข้อความ: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Chudova
Maria Chudova  Identity Verified
สโลวาเกีย
Local time: 15:48
สมาชิก (2008)
ภาษาสเปน เป็น ภาษาสโลวัค
+ ...
the ultimate question, to which the answer is 42 Dec 15, 2011

I reacted to Filipa Try to type on Google: the answer to life the universe and everything
But I suppose "Bed?" would be as good a question as any, as we only know the ultimate answer in this universe.
In fact, I should have written: "It may be the Ultimate question or not". I believe you have to read science fiction to be familiar with those concept
... See more
I reacted to Filipa Try to type on Google: the answer to life the universe and everything
But I suppose "Bed?" would be as good a question as any, as we only know the ultimate answer in this universe.
In fact, I should have written: "It may be the Ultimate question or not". I believe you have to read science fiction to be familiar with those concepts.

[Edited at 2011-12-15 15:13 GMT]
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
สหรัฐอเมริกา
Local time: 09:48
สมาชิก (2009)
ภาษาฝรั่งเศส เป็น ภาษาอังกฤษ
Alternate Dec 15, 2011

I alternate between a traditional chair, similar to a kitchen chair, and a kneeling chair. Switching back and forth helps, but I think I am going to buy an Aeron chair as soon as I have a little room in the budget.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาสเปน
+ ...
An ergonomic chair and a theraball Dec 15, 2011

A ball chair is a frame with casters that contain a 60 cm or 70 cm theraball (also known as medicine ball or therapeutic ball). In the U.S., you can get such a ball for $10 (I did). I use this ball for a chair, as recommended by my chiropractor, to help my leg and hip muscles relax while sitting for hours.

True, the label "ergonomic" is applied too freely on things that are necessarily designed for human comfort or correct posture. My chair is generally ergonomic, but I can't sit on
... See more
A ball chair is a frame with casters that contain a 60 cm or 70 cm theraball (also known as medicine ball or therapeutic ball). In the U.S., you can get such a ball for $10 (I did). I use this ball for a chair, as recommended by my chiropractor, to help my leg and hip muscles relax while sitting for hours.

True, the label "ergonomic" is applied too freely on things that are necessarily designed for human comfort or correct posture. My chair is generally ergonomic, but I can't sit on it for hours and hours without getting stiff muscles.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาสเปน
+ ...
Doug Adams Dec 15, 2011

Maria Chudova wrote:

In fact, I should have written: "It may be the Ultimate question or not". I believe you have to read science fiction to be familiar with those concepts.

[Edited at 2011-12-15 15:13 GMT]

Yeah, I have read Doug Adams. The answer is 42.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
สหรัฐอเมริกา
สมาชิก (2011)
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาเยอรมัน
Task Chair Dec 15, 2011

I just bought one recently. According to the supplier’s invoice, it’s a task chair and has the following features:

• Crafted with an upholstery which looks and feels like leather
• Height adjustable padded arms reduce neck and shoulder strain
• Pneumatic seat height adjustment
• Over padded seat and back for extra comfort and lumbar support
• Center tilt with adjustable tilt tension and lock
• Nylon base with 2" dual wheel hooded carpet
... See more
I just bought one recently. According to the supplier’s invoice, it’s a task chair and has the following features:

• Crafted with an upholstery which looks and feels like leather
• Height adjustable padded arms reduce neck and shoulder strain
• Pneumatic seat height adjustment
• Over padded seat and back for extra comfort and lumbar support
• Center tilt with adjustable tilt tension and lock
• Nylon base with 2" dual wheel hooded carpet casters
• Meets or exceeds ANSI/BIFMA standards

Well, I would have simply called this an office chair…
Collapse

Yevgeniy Y. Zingerman
Yevgeniy Y. Zingerman  Identity Verified
อิสราเอล
Local time: 16:48
สมาชิก (2009)
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาเฮบริว
+ ...
An armchair, Dec 15, 2011

I just use old (very, very old) good (it knew better days, though) armchair...

Maria Chudova
Maria Chudova  Identity Verified
สโลวาเกีย
สมาชิก (2008)
ภาษาสเปน เป็น ภาษาสโลวัค
+ ...
Alternating is perhaps the best option we have Dec 15, 2011

Even my SpinaliS chair designed for active sitting cannot serve me 16 hours or more: when I work 8 hours, no problem, but if the project is big and the time is short, then it is chair, sofa, theraball, chair, sofa, chair, bed...

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
สมาชิก (2007)
ภาษาสเปน เป็น ภาษาอังกฤษ
+ ...
A plain old office chair... Dec 15, 2011

...with an adjustable back, armrests and casters that I picked out after sitting in many, many chairs in many, many stores over a period of months. When I finally found one that "fit" me, I snapped it up.

What a difference a comfortable chair makes!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
สหราชอาณาจักร
Local time: 14:48
ภาษาเฮบริว เป็น ภาษาอังกฤษ
Sofa or Bed Dec 15, 2011

I clicked "other" because neither "sofa" nor "bed" was included. It's usually one or the other. Sure, I have an office/study complete with a swanky, leather (ergonomic - in that it can be adjusted) chair. Do I ever use it? No, not really. Once in a while for a change.

Surely this is one of the best things about being a freelance translator, the ability to laze around and do your work on your sofa, next to the TV, or even in bed for ultimate comfort.
See more
I clicked "other" because neither "sofa" nor "bed" was included. It's usually one or the other. Sure, I have an office/study complete with a swanky, leather (ergonomic - in that it can be adjusted) chair. Do I ever use it? No, not really. Once in a while for a change.

Surely this is one of the best things about being a freelance translator, the ability to laze around and do your work on your sofa, next to the TV, or even in bed for ultimate comfort.

If I was to sit at my desk regularly, I'd feel like I was back in the office (only without all the office politics to entertain me)....not a good thing.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
เยอรมนี
สมาชิก (2009)
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาเยอรมัน
+ ...
Amongs others Dec 15, 2011

I use an ergonomic chair. It's leather but both the seat and the back have inserts made of a combination of wool and linnen, which allows for proper "ventilation" even during the summer.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
สหราชอาณาจักร
Local time: 14:48
สมาชิก (2005)
ภาษาอิตาลี เป็น ภาษาอังกฤษ
+ ...
Non-ergonomic office chair Dec 15, 2011

A standard, adjustable, swivel office chair - but not ergonomic.

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
แคนาดา
สมาชิก (2008)
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาฝรั่งเศส
+ ...
Ditto! Dec 15, 2011

Interlangue wrote:

neilmac wrote:

It's what I call an "office chair". Black, adjustable height and backrest, swivel type and sits in front of my PC. Most of these nowadays claim to be somehow "ergonomic", which I take with a substantial pinch of salt.

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
แคนาดา
สมาชิก (2008)
ภาษาอังกฤษ เป็น ภาษาฝรั่งเศส
+ ...
Ditto! ;) Dec 15, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

Could the staff member who started this poll please explain the terms used?

By a "traditional" chair, do you mean a swivel-seat chair of the type usually known as a typist's chair, or just any old general purpose chair you may have around the house?

An "ergonomic" chair is presumably one advertised as such, but other good chairs may be just as ergonomic without bosting about it.

What is a ball chair?

What is a swopper chair?

This is the most incomprehensible poll question I have ever seen.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
ฟินแลนด์
Local time: 16:48
สมาชิก (2003)
ภาษาฟินแลนด์ เป็น ภาษาเยอรมัน
+ ...
Car seat is missing Dec 15, 2011

During summer holidays at the cottage I have no electricity, so if I want to work I have to load my accu from the car's accu and most of the time I sit in the car seat typing. Very ergonomic!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
ภาษาฝรั่งเศส เป็น ภาษาอังกฤษ
Ball chair, Swopper chair Dec 15, 2011

I didn't know but I do now! It takes longer to type the question than to find the answer with Google images!

จำนวนหน้าตามหัวข้อ:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

ผู้ไกล่เกลี่ยของฟอรัมนี้
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of chair do you have at your workspace?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »