Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
NOT A SCAM but a WARNING for all users of earlier versions of MSOffice (i.e. before Office 365)
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dec 14, 2017

If (like me) you are using older versions of MSOffice (in my case Office 2008 for Mac and 2011 for Mac) you may receive an "update" notification inviting you to install an upgrade.

DO NOT INSTALL IT.

It will disable all your versions of MSOffice and will invite you to install Office365 (if you haven't previously installed it).

Luckily I had a clone of my computer, made just last night, so I was able to clone back from the clone, and recover my MSOffice appl
... See more
If (like me) you are using older versions of MSOffice (in my case Office 2008 for Mac and 2011 for Mac) you may receive an "update" notification inviting you to install an upgrade.

DO NOT INSTALL IT.

It will disable all your versions of MSOffice and will invite you to install Office365 (if you haven't previously installed it).

Luckily I had a clone of my computer, made just last night, so I was able to clone back from the clone, and recover my MSOffice applications.

Here is the window you will see:

Screen Shot

Do NOT click on "Install" and don't click on the "Detailed information" link.

EXTRA note added later:

If you have set your older MS Office applications to notify you of updates, Microsoft will send you these notifications. If you accept them and click on "install", Microsoft will assume you are using the latest version of Office365 and will disable any earlier versions of Office that you may have. So BE CAREFUL!!!

[Edited at 2017-12-14 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Odd Dec 14, 2017

That's odd. I haven't heard Microsoft should be flogging Office 365 the way they were flogging Windows 10 last year.

This is what the link points to:
See more
That's odd. I haven't heard Microsoft should be flogging Office 365 the way they were flogging Windows 10 last year.

This is what the link points to:
https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Release-notes-for-Office-2016-for-Mac-ed2da564-6d53-4542-9954-7e3209681a41?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

It's an update for Office 2016 for Mac indeed. But why does it start installing version 2016 if you are using an older version?

Weird. But nothing from Microsoft has surprised me after their horrible Windows 8 and later attempts to force-update older Windows versions to version 10 against the will of the users. I had to install a tiny third-party module to stop the nagging once and for all. They made Windows behave as malware. Diehard Mac fans like you might even say that Windows is malware.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Desperately forcing in the new stuff Dec 14, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

But nothing from Microsoft has surprised me after their horrible Windows 8 and later attempts to force-update older Windows versions to version 10 against the will of the users. I had to install a tiny third-party module to stop the nagging once and for all. They made Windows behave as malware. Diehard Mac fans like you might even say that Windows is malware.

Definitely!

I tried Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. Didn't like ANY of them. Compared to Windows XP, all of them have had their efficiency severely compromised for the sake of onscreen pyrotechnics. Microdaft's concept of user-friendliness consists of using most of the available hardware resources to attempt outsmarting the user by predicting - wrongly in 98% of the cases - his/her intent.

So I work every day under Windows XP, loaded from a SSD. Everything is very efficient and very effective, as it has been for years.

In order to do some few - albeit important (like my online banking) - operations that don't work under Windows XP anymore, I have Windows 10 installed on another SSD I can alternatively boot from. These SSDs have turned the entire boot operation very quick.

However the most interesting thing is that I have some old but excellent programs I like to use. Windows 10 bluntly refuses to install them, on account of being "incompatible". However if I locate their *.exe on the Windows XP installation using the File Explorer from Windows 10, they still run flawlessly! ... though much slower, like everything else runs under Windows 10.

Windows XP has had no tech support, no updates, for a while already. It makes me wonder whether this could be the main reason why it runs so smoothly and trouble-free.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not.... Dec 14, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

... Diehard Mac fans like you

I deplore the way Apple has been going since the death of Jobs. I'm amazed the Mac OS has managed to survive the greedy machinations of the current management of Apple.

Yes, I prefer the MacOS. but I don't think that makes me a "diehard Mac fan". However the fact that Microsoft has been behaving like this does convince me that world's biggest computer company is run by a bunch of **self-censored**.

[Edited at 2017-12-14 12:31 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree Dec 14, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

But yes, I prefer the MacOS. but I don't think that makes me a "diehard Mac fan".

I stand corrected, then.

I have been looking at Macs, but the prices are a clear obstacle. They are at least twice as expensive as similar technical configurations from Dell or Lenovo. Another obstacle is that I would still need to run Windows under Parallels or VMware to support the CAT tools I use.

I also like to be able to order and fit spare parts myself instead of having to pay and wait for a technician. Once you're in the Mac universe, you completely depend on their service, as far as I know.

Tom in London wrote:
However the fact that Microsoft has been behaving like this does convince me that world's biggest computer company is run by a bunch of **self-censored**.

I couldn't agree more. If there were a well-functioning compatible alternative to Windows, I would dump Windows tomorrow. But since no such alternative exists, Microsoft can get away with almost anything.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wanderlust Dec 14, 2017

Careful, Thomas....let's try to stay on the topic....

A Mac is an integrated computer system that doesn't require you to fit "extra parts".

In the past I might have said that you don't need to "fit parts" to a Mac and in fact you shouldn't. However there are a couple of exceptions: adding extra RAM and swapping a hard drive. Apple doesn't let you do those things any more. Stupid decision.

The "extra cost" is the cost of the "extra parts" you need to add wh
... See more

A Mac is an integrated computer system that doesn't require you to fit "extra parts".

In the past I might have said that you don't need to "fit parts" to a Mac and in fact you shouldn't. However there are a couple of exceptions: adding extra RAM and swapping a hard drive. Apple doesn't let you do those things any more. Stupid decision.

The "extra cost" is the cost of the "extra parts" you need to add when you buy a PC and the cost of the time you spend trying to get them to work. Plus the cost of that "computer technician" so many PC users seem to need on a regular basis. To which, let me add, the extras that come as integral parts of the MacOS such as the excellent Dictation programme, which is much better than commercial programmes like Dragon.

Micro$oft has foisted MSOffice on the world, but I dream of the day when some other office suite takes over.

[Edited at 2017-12-14 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:16
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Tom Dec 16, 2017

I was beginning to wonder about these 365 notifications, so thanks for the warning!

[Edited at 2017-12-16 23:26 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SoftMaker Office 2018 for Mac Dec 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Micro$oft has foisted MSOffice on the world, but I dream of the day when some other office suite takes over.

From http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-linux :

SoftMaker Office 2018 uses the Microsoft formats DOCX, XLSX and PPTX as its default file formats. This lets you edit your documents in [the] Microsoft Office [file format] directly and without conversion.

SoftMaker has recently announced the release of a Mac version of SoftMaker Office 2018.

[Edited at 2017-12-17 10:07 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Dec 17, 2017

Hans Lenting wrote:

SoftMaker has recently announced the release of a Mac version of SoftMaker Office 2018.

Interesting - thanks, Hans. I'll look out for the Mac version.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Spare parts, not extra parts Dec 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

The "extra cost" is the cost of the "extra parts" you need to add when you buy a PC and the cost of the time you spend trying to get them to work.

I meant spare parts, as in "the fan is broken". Many computer brands sell such spare parts online, allowing you to replace them yourself (if you can read a service manual that shows you how to take your laptop apart). You don't need "extra parts" if you buy a PC with the specifications you need in the first place.

But I did not intend to make this a PC vs. Mac debate. There are clearly advantages on both sides.

Tom in London wrote:

Agreed. I don't care much for monopolies or de facto monopolies.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
If it quacks like a duck Dec 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

DO NOT INSTALL IT.

Luckily I had a clone of my computer, made just last night, so I was able to clone back from the clone, and recover my MSOffice applications.

Here is the window you will see:

Screen Shot

Do NOT click on "Install" and don't click on the "Detailed information" link.

EXTRA note added later:

If you have set your older MS Office applications to notify you of updates, Microsoft will send you these notifications. If you accept them and click on "install", Microsoft will assume you are using the latest version of Office365 and will disable any earlier versions of Office that you may have. So BE CAREFUL!!!

[Edited at 2017-12-14 09:59 GMT]

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... then what could it be?

You are "offered" an "upgrade" that without any warning will render useless the software you are currently using? Looks very much like a proper scam to me, never mind who is doing it ...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
On two topics Dec 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

The "extra cost" is the cost of the "extra parts" you need to add when you buy a PC and the cost of the time you spend trying to get them to work. Plus the cost of that "computer technician" so many PC users seem to need on a regular basis. To which, let me add, the extras that come as integral parts of the MacOS such as the excellent Dictation programme, which is much better than commercial programmes like Dragon.

[Edited at 2017-12-14 14:13 GMT]

First, thanks, Thomas for the heads up on that MS Office issue. I experienced it not on Windows but on my MacBook Pro 15: I had installed Office 2016 (free university student license), which I had run for months without issue.

Then one day I saw the “update” screen. Used to updating other bona fide proprietary applications, I went ahead. It didn't break any previous Office applications (I also run 2008 on Mac) but it destroyed whatever license I had. And I couldn't re-authorize 2016!

Solution? Uninstall and reinstall. By the way, since my Office free university license is tied to my university email address, I had to fix another stumbling block: Outlook wouldn't log me in. The problem? Some esoteric glitch having to do with being unable to read a correct password. So I “changed” my good Outlook password and used it again. Outlook accepted it, I was logged in, Office 2016 was reauthorized. All is peachy now. No more updates.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Moral Dec 17, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

All is peachy now. No more updates.

Moral: clone your hard drive every day. If anything bad happens, you're safe.

https://bombich.com

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's what Time Machine is for Dec 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

All is peachy now. No more updates.

Moral: clone your hard drive every day. If anything bad happens, you're safe.

https://bombich.com

Although not perfect, Time Machine has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I can't say the same thing about Windows' System Restore feature.

Nikolaki
Nikolaki  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:16
French to English
Flipping outrageous Dec 17, 2017

Thanks for the warning, Tom.

I would have been sufficiently innocent and trusting to click on that. And even if I have a Time Machine, I can really do without the extra hassle.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NOT A SCAM but a WARNING for all users of earlier versions of MSOffice (i.e. before Office 365)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »