Convert frames to textboxes in Word after FineReader: ready-to-use solutions?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 11, 2017

When converting PDFs in the Exact Copy mode, FineReader puts stuff in frames instead of textboxes, but frames are annoying to work with. Is there any ready-to-use solution for converting all frames to textboxes while preserving their content and positioning? What I've found so far seems like half-baked VBA code that needs work. Ideally, I would like something akin to TransTools that could do this. It need not even be free. Anyone?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some thoughts Nov 11, 2017

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

When converting PDFs in the Exact Copy mode, FineReader puts stuff in frames instead of textboxes, but frames are annoying to work with. Is there any ready-to-use solution for converting all frames to textboxes while preserving their content and positioning? What I've found so far seems like half-baked VBA code that needs work. Ideally, I would like something akin to TransTools that could do this. It need not even be free. Anyone?

I think CodeZapper (http://www.asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper ) might have something like it.

I'm also fairly certain that if you asked the developer of TransTools he would add it.

By the way, why not just use the other setting (forget what it's called) in Finereader? The one that puts stuff text boxes. That's how I use Finereader.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Michael Nov 11, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

I think CodeZapper (http://www.asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper ) might have something like it.

I'm also fairly certain that if you asked the developer of TransTools he would add it.

By the way, why not just use the other setting (forget what it's called) in Finereader? The one that puts stuff text boxes. That's how I use Finereader.

Thank you Michael. I have CodeZapper 2.6, which may be old, and it doesn't have anything that does exactly what I need here. Re TransTools, this might be a good idea if the developer is responsive.

In my FineReader Pro v11, there's no mode that saves textboxes—both in Exact Copy and Editable Copy, frames are used.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here's my attempt at a Word macro for this conversion Jan 8, 2018

Here is a Word macro for converting frames to textboxes that I've written based on someone else's incomplete code from an Internet forum. It works for me but may or may not work for you. I don't understand all aspects of it — specifically, I don't fully understand the logic of working with the Selection object. The code may be ugly. Anyway, it successfully converts the output of FlexiPDF. (Haven't tested it on FineReader's output yet.)

Sub ConvertFramesToTextboxes()
... See more
Here is a Word macro for converting frames to textboxes that I've written based on someone else's incomplete code from an Internet forum. It works for me but may or may not work for you. I don't understand all aspects of it — specifically, I don't fully understand the logic of working with the Selection object. The code may be ugly. Anyway, it successfully converts the output of FlexiPDF. (Haven't tested it on FineReader's output yet.)

Sub ConvertFramesToTextboxes()

Dim i As Long

' Not sure if this is needed, along with the corresponding code line
Dim CopyRange As Word.Range

With ActiveDocument
For i = .Frames.Count To 1 Step -1

Dim x, y, h, w As Single

h = ActiveDocument.Frames(i).Height
w = ActiveDocument.Frames(i).Width

With .Frames(i).Range
Set CopyRange = .Duplicate
.Select
.Cut
.Select
End With

x = Selection.Information(wdHorizontalPositionRelativeToPage)
y = Selection.Information(wdVerticalPositionRelativeToPage)

With ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, x, y, w, h)
With .TextFrame
.MarginLeft = 0
.MarginRight = 0
.MarginTop = 0
.MarginBottom = 0
End With

.Line.Visible = msoFalse

' I want transparent textboxes, your needs may be different
.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

.Select
Selection.Range.Paste

' This checks if what we have inside textbox is a picture
' and if so, sends this textbox behind. For some unclear reasons,
' msoSendToBack has no effect here.
If (.TextFrame.TextRange.InlineShapes.Count = 1) Then
.ZOrder msoSendBehindText
End If

.Select
End With
Selection.Cut
ActiveDocument.Frames(i).Select
Selection.Delete
Selection.Paste

Next i

End With
End Sub
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert frames to textboxes in Word after FineReader: ready-to-use solutions?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »