Indenting lines on Word
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
German to English
May 30, 2014

I have a fairly simple question (I hope) about aligning text in Word 2010.

I want to use the spacebar to push all text in one space from the left margin, and find that I can do this for the first line of each a paargraph without problems.

However, subsequent lines will not budge - can anyone please advise as to how to get around this?

I have set a tab stop but it is not helping with this issue.

[Edited at 2014-05-31 10:09 GMT]

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:21
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Instructions May 30, 2014

Is to be found here:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/word_2010/word_indent_paragraphs.htm

Aelf
Aelf
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Easy to do with Find and Replace May 30, 2014

- Press Ctrl+H
- write "^p" in the Find box
- write "^p " (i.e. add a space after a hard line end mark) in the Replace box
- press Replce All

Now all the paragraphs, except the first one, are preceded with a space. Just go to the first one and press the space bar.

If you're trying to move a whole paragraph a space to the right (or left) you need to use indentation as Wrenda wrote.

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
The special characters May 31, 2014

Aelf,

That reminds me of one thing to clearify.

You actually need to have a paragraph to work with on indentation.

That means no Paragraph breaks within the paragraph (like pressing Enter at the end of the line). If you want to have a new line within a paragraph, use the keys Shift+Enter.

You can see these chars if you use the button that looks like a backward P.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou - increasing indent worked well Jun 2, 2014

A useful Word function. Did the job - thankyou.

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
About indenting paragraphs Jun 2, 2014

Hi Andrew,

The spacebar or the tab key should never be used to indent paragraphs, especially in long documents. Word is very inconsistent if you apply formatting like that, and you don't have any flexibility in case you want to make changes in the future.

The recommended way to do it is by using paragraph styles. If you've never used paragraph/character styles in Word, i suggest you learn to use them — it will save you many hours of tedious formatting time.

... See more
Hi Andrew,

The spacebar or the tab key should never be used to indent paragraphs, especially in long documents. Word is very inconsistent if you apply formatting like that, and you don't have any flexibility in case you want to make changes in the future.

The recommended way to do it is by using paragraph styles. If you've never used paragraph/character styles in Word, i suggest you learn to use them — it will save you many hours of tedious formatting time.

Regards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indenting lines on Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »