JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:01
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2010

I often translate product manuals, so I have a lot of translation units relating to warranties.

Today, however, I'm translating an archaeology document.

A particular original segment is: "Il est vieux de 10 000 ans." - "It's 10,000 years old."

Studio, in its rather endearing attempts to help, has concatenated the 10,000 years with a previously translated segment and come up with: "The warranty period is 10 000 years."

Now that's confi
... See more
I often translate product manuals, so I have a lot of translation units relating to warranties.

Today, however, I'm translating an archaeology document.

A particular original segment is: "Il est vieux de 10 000 ans." - "It's 10,000 years old."

Studio, in its rather endearing attempts to help, has concatenated the 10,000 years with a previously translated segment and come up with: "The warranty period is 10 000 years."

Now that's confidence in your product!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:01
English to Thai
+ ...
Similar to Google Search Nov 29, 2010

By random combining of words, we get interesting search results. I am always laughing at Google on this point: do not rely excessively on technology!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Nice! Nov 29, 2010

It must be so tempting to go with such suggestions at times. I sometimes enjoy (wickedly) thinking of the inappropriate translations I might have made...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Dentro de 100 años, todos calvos" Nov 29, 2010

I.e. "In a hundred years, we'll all be bald". I mean that even if you used 10,000 years of warranty, who would respond to it in 100 years?

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
If you really want a laugh Nov 29, 2010

use a speech recognition program! Good for a giggle at least twice a day (Court of cassation this morning came out as court of castration). Brightens up my day no end!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Babelfish Nov 29, 2010

This happens with Babelfish.

I tried EN-PT:
"ACME uses the latest technology..."

... and got:
"O ACME usa a tecnologia a mais atrasada..." (in spite of 2 errors)

... which is the exact opposite!

"Atrasado" in PT actually means "late", such as arriving late to an appointment. It also means a clock running slow, i.e. backwards, as opposite to "adi
... See more
This happens with Babelfish.

I tried EN-PT:
"ACME uses the latest technology..."

... and got:
"O ACME usa a tecnologia a mais atrasada..." (in spite of 2 errors)

... which is the exact opposite!

"Atrasado" in PT actually means "late", such as arriving late to an appointment. It also means a clock running slow, i.e. backwards, as opposite to "adiantado" (= advanced) when it's running fast.

So, if I had said that "ACME uses the most advanced technology", Babelfish would have got it right:
"O ACME usa a tecnologia a mais avançada" (yet with the same 2 errors again)
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not only Trados Nov 29, 2010

Wordfast likes it too. I don't remember exactly, but when translating tourist websites I often had proposals of sentences such as:
Hotel room for 70 persons, € 2 a day.

How about false advertising?

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a great rate! Nov 29, 2010

NMR wrote:

Hotel room for 70 persons, € 2 a day.

The only thing is, I'm not sure I know of 69 other people I'd want to share a room with...

On second thoughts, maybe it's a translators-only discount - we should hold the next ProZ conference there!

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
wise advice Nov 29, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

By random combining of words, we get interesting search results. I am always laughing at Google on this point: do not rely excessively on technology!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Indeed, it is probably better to rely on one's brains and use technology only when it is really useful !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio made me laugh!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »