http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080419/ap_on_hi_te/translating_facebook

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Facebook Apr 20, 2008

FB already launched some languages such as French and Spanish. Chinese translation is underway as some of my friends (none of them translators) reported they'd received such requests.

There virtually have been FB groups protesting the French localization as some French speakers don't think the translation reflects a respect to this beautiful and precise language.

Accord
... See more
FB already launched some languages such as French and Spanish. Chinese translation is underway as some of my friends (none of them translators) reported they'd received such requests.

There virtually have been FB groups protesting the French localization as some French speakers don't think the translation reflects a respect to this beautiful and precise language.

According to this article: http://snurl.com/250x4, Spanish translation reads mechanical at best. And there are lots of interesting discussions and a video interview on that page.

Free localization from fans is no replacement for systematic, organized and well QAed professional localization team. We have so many examples, don't we?

Best,
Jianjun

Collapse

Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I guess it's up to the individuals... Apr 20, 2008

...but I don't feel particularly altruistic towards Facebook, a COMPANY. The Spanish translator quoted mentioned Wikipedia, which I agree is more worthy of free translation, localization, and any other work since it's part of a community more than a profit-making enterprise. In fact it's fun to do Wikipedia stuff (for nerds like me anyway). In any case I guess FB will get the quality it pays for (or doesn't).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Crowdsourcing Apr 20, 2008

It is called "crowdsourcing". It is a trend which I think will continue and become more popular, and I think professional translators should take note of it. There are various advantages and disadvantages to crowdsourcing (and it also depends on how the translation system is implemented).

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Isn't it the same... Apr 20, 2008

...as the proz localization? The only difference is that proz has been localized by professionals.

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
I had been contacted to translate Facebook in French Apr 20, 2008

... and refused. They wanted to pay $ 500 for the job, which is a joke, especially considering the fact that Facebooks founder M.Z. is the youngest billionaire ever, and that Facebook has a profit of several billion dollars A YEAR.

Anybody translating Facebook for free is practising voluntary slavery.

Facebook is NOT a non-profit organisation! It is a normal company making profit from persons working for free !

Anyway, those "translators" can only blame th
... See more
... and refused. They wanted to pay $ 500 for the job, which is a joke, especially considering the fact that Facebooks founder M.Z. is the youngest billionaire ever, and that Facebook has a profit of several billion dollars A YEAR.

Anybody translating Facebook for free is practising voluntary slavery.

Facebook is NOT a non-profit organisation! It is a normal company making profit from persons working for free !

Anyway, those "translators" can only blame themselves.
I cannot believe that any professional translator would do such a job for free.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
Swedish to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 20, 2008

Sylvain Leray wrote:
Isn't it the same...
...as the proz localization? The only difference is that proz has been localized by professionals.

Just what I thought. The quality of the localization of ProZ might be higher, but in the end ProZ is also a for profit company.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
The only difference... Apr 21, 2008

"The only difference is that ProZ.com has been localized by professionals."

Though it still could use some improvement, I think that difference makes all the difference in the world.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Yes, of course Apr 21, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

"The only difference is that ProZ.com has been localized by professionals."

Though it still could use some improvement, I think that difference makes all the difference in the world.

Of course, but the principle remains the same : a company asking his users for a free translation of its site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facebook asks users to translate new version for free

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »