Thread poster: Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:16
German to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2007

The two year part-time MA/Diploma in Legal Translation (which I have applied for) will now start in September 2008 (instead of 2007).

So far the course was advertised to include sessions for French, German, Spanish and Italian (with practical work on translating to/from English, i.e. 4x2 = 8 language directions). The university will consider adding other languages if there is sufficient demand (Portuguese and Russian are mentioned in the circular to existing applicants).

... See more
The two year part-time MA/Diploma in Legal Translation (which I have applied for) will now start in September 2008 (instead of 2007).

So far the course was advertised to include sessions for French, German, Spanish and Italian (with practical work on translating to/from English, i.e. 4x2 = 8 language directions). The university will consider adding other languages if there is sufficient demand (Portuguese and Russian are mentioned in the circular to existing applicants).

Details of the course at:
http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/legal_translation.html

The individual modules (of three to four days each) are also available as single CPD events for people who don't want to do the full MA or Diploma course. See
http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/legal_trans_cpd.html

During the current academic year there are also a number of other individual CPD events (normally for one or two days) in subjects such as financial reporting (Hi Robin!), legal terminology, subtitling, media etc. For details:
http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/courses_cpd.html

For other language courses: http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/index.html
Collapse

Erica Sarnataro
Erica Sarnataro  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 23, 2007

Thank you Victor for letting us know!
Erica

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanxs a lot! Aug 23, 2007

Victor,
Many thanxs for sharing this with us.
Best regards

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Victor! Aug 24, 2007

Honestly, thank you so much. It is a very valuable piece of information. I just hope they will have Russian by 2008.

Natalia

[Edited at 2007-08-24 15:54]

Many thanks indeed! Aug 24, 2007

May I shyly join the chorus to praise you?

Now, what about accomodation facilities for someone who lives in France ? Any tips or advice greatly welcome.

In the meantime, I'll have a look at the City University website.

Thank you so much again,
Nicky

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tell them you are interested Aug 24, 2007

Natalia Elo wrote:
I just hope they will have Russian by 2008.
Natalia

They need your feedback (and feedback from others) to decide whether there is a demand. The earlier you let them know, the better the chances are.

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Questions Aug 24, 2007

Nicky wrote:
May I shyly join the chorus to praise you?

Feel free. The more, the merrier!

Now, what about accomodation facilities for someone who lives in France?

There I can't help. I will probably have a similar problem, as my close family does not live within commuting distance. Perhaps the university will have some suggestions.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent advice Aug 26, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

They need your feedback (and feedback from others) to decide whether there is a demand. The earlier you let them know, the better the chances are.

I've done the same for Portuguese (although I'd personally prefer Dutch).

In the meantime, I'm practising Spanish legal translation under a mentor, in case there is insufficient demand for Portuguese. Luckily it's not too much of a transition (passively), although not ideal for me.

[Edited at 2007-08-26 11:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation courses at City University London

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »