India
Local time: 14:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 5, 2007

Hi folks,

Today, June 5, is World Environment Day.

Would you mind sharing in this discussion what you as a translator did on this day to register your concern for the planet. I think it would make an interesting discussion.

Also, may be we can discuss what we as translators can do for the environment.

Incidently, the topic for this year's World Environment Day is: Melting Ice - A Hot Topic.

UNEP's link for this is here:
... See more
Hi folks,

Today, June 5, is World Environment Day.

Would you mind sharing in this discussion what you as a translator did on this day to register your concern for the planet. I think it would make an interesting discussion.

Also, may be we can discuss what we as translators can do for the environment.

Incidently, the topic for this year's World Environment Day is: Melting Ice - A Hot Topic.

UNEP's link for this is here:

http://www.unep.org/wed/2007/english/Around_the_World/AsiaPacific.asp
Collapse

myrcarromero
myrcarromero
Local time: 01:47
English to Spanish
Print or review on the screen Jun 5, 2007

I know it is hard to review the docs on the screen, but sometimes we just print them, but the reviews are made on the computer. Count up to 10 before printing. Forest and nature will thank you forever.

Another proposal is to translate the main mottos and global warming problems to all the languages.

Myriam

ms mayes (X)
ms mayes (X)
Local time: 10:47
German to English
+ ...
One Hour No Power Jun 5, 2007

This is not really an answer to the original post, but it IS related. A guy in England has started a campaign called One Hour No Power: we all turn off whatever we can from 12 noon - 1 p.m. (in our own time zone) on Sunday July 1st. This is not meant to save a huge amount of power, but is a way of showing our concern. It is also something most people can join in with. To find out more, please contact Onehournopower.com
As far as I'm concerned, this is a far better idea than those mega conc
... See more
This is not really an answer to the original post, but it IS related. A guy in England has started a campaign called One Hour No Power: we all turn off whatever we can from 12 noon - 1 p.m. (in our own time zone) on Sunday July 1st. This is not meant to save a huge amount of power, but is a way of showing our concern. It is also something most people can join in with. To find out more, please contact Onehournopower.com
As far as I'm concerned, this is a far better idea than those mega concerts taking place on July 7th all over the place.
Collapse

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
telecommuting Jun 5, 2007

... is a great way to help the environment. No polluting cars to commute to work - I just walk down the stairs to my office

Continuing on from Myrium's post, if you really must print (I am one of those people who finds it hard to read on screen), then get your friends and family to give you all their scrap paper from work, and then print on the back of it before chucking it in the fine paper recycle bin.

[Edite
... See more
... is a great way to help the environment. No polluting cars to commute to work - I just walk down the stairs to my office

Continuing on from Myrium's post, if you really must print (I am one of those people who finds it hard to read on screen), then get your friends and family to give you all their scrap paper from work, and then print on the back of it before chucking it in the fine paper recycle bin.

[Edited at 2007-06-05 09:25]
Collapse

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
Switch off Jun 5, 2007

don't just leave things on standby when you're not using them. This is one of thie things I have to push myself to do, as I am so often tempted to leave somethin on my screen for the next day.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:47
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Work at home Jun 5, 2007

I work at home, I don't have a car and I never print out anything I'm working on. If I'm working from a PDF or JPG I just half-size a blank Word page, stick it on top, and work from that.

Also, I rarely throw paper away that's been printed only on one side. I cut it in four pieces and use it for scrap paper.

Amy

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A dissenting voice Jun 6, 2007

I am not totally indifferent to the environment but I resent being continually nagged about it, often on highly dubious grounds and often without regard for the Law of Unintended Consequences (reducing pollution by causing even more pollution).
Channel 4 of UK TV showed a programme a few months ago called "The Great Global Warming Swindle", in which several eminent scientists put forward views relating global warming to other than man-made causes. I thought the case for linking it to sola
... See more
I am not totally indifferent to the environment but I resent being continually nagged about it, often on highly dubious grounds and often without regard for the Law of Unintended Consequences (reducing pollution by causing even more pollution).
Channel 4 of UK TV showed a programme a few months ago called "The Great Global Warming Swindle", in which several eminent scientists put forward views relating global warming to other than man-made causes. I thought the case for linking it to solar activity - sunspots and solar flares - was far more convincing than attributing it to man-made carbon gases.
Such people find it difficult to get any publicity for their views or any funds for research which might back them, while projects to find grounds for getting even more hysterical about global warming can easily find funds.
Have you noticed how people now tend to talk more about "climate change" rather than "global warming"? This means that whether it gets hotter or colder, windier, wetter, whatever, we are all supposed to feel guilty about it and our governments can introduce more and more laws restricting our freedom, telling us what to do, and imposing new taxes on us, all of which, especially the last, they all love doing.
"Climate change" used to be called "weather", and nobody worried about it much apart from trying to get more accurate forecasts of it.
Global warming and global cooling have taken place periodically for many millions of years, long before man even existed at all, let alone before his activities could have even the still negligible affect they have on the environment today. In Roman times they had a flourishing wine industry in Britain. Then for a long time this was not possible, now it is again. So what? In the 17th century the Thames froze so solidly in winter that they could roast oxen on it. The coldest winter and hottest summer I remember were over 30 years ago - 1963 and 1976 respectively.
Even if you accept that carbon gases have something to do with it (and I don't), human activities only contribute a negligible amount to it. The EU is trying to stop landfill as a means of reducing methane emission. The amount of methane emission from landfill is little more than 1% of that produced by cows. No-one has yet suggested slaughtering all the cows in the world (though it's probably only a matter of time).
Yes, the climate is changing, and we should be doing something about it - but preparing to make the most of its advantages and minimise its disadvantages, not trying to prevent it, which is a hopeless endeavour anyway.
So what's my slogan? "Chop down a tree for World Environment Day!" (Well, no, not really, but in my more irritated moments I somethimes feel that way).
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Why take it out on poor trees, Jack? Jun 6, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

So what's my slogan? "Chop down a tree for World Environment Day!" (Well, no, not really, but in my more irritated moments I somethimes feel that way).

That was a vicious statement, Jack, I wonder what is bugging you today?

Environmentalism is not about climate change and carbon dioxide alone. There are a whole lot of other important issues in it, like loss of biodiversity, loss of livelihood opportunites for the poorest of the poor 9millions upon millions of them) because of dwindling natural resources on which they depend, insane conditions prevailing in many of our cities which force us to lead highly unnatural lives (have you read Human Zoo by Desmond Morris?) and a whole lot of very vital issues.

Environmentalism is a new way of life that is more in tune with the increased power we humans have now acquired to inflict damage upon the planet and a self restrain upon us to weild this power with responsibility, care and wisdom.

I had always though UK of all countries had a strong environmentalist movement to which have contributed ancient poets like Wordsworth and people there were more environmentally sensitised than people back here in India.

But seeing Jack's cynicism, which I presume is shared by many more back there, I realize that the situation is the same every where and there is a lot of work to be done by environmentalists if things are to change.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Today, June 5, is World Environment Day

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »