Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 9, 2005

Dear colleagues,
I have been doing quite a bit of voice-over recently and wonder if the person who does the voice-over does have any right on the voice-over version.
As it happens I have wanted to have a version/copy of one of my recordings and my request has not been welcomed by my client(previous client obviously). Quite often I am asked to submit a sample of my voice/work for new assignments and I have thought that if I submit a copy of a previous recording it'd be great because
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I have been doing quite a bit of voice-over recently and wonder if the person who does the voice-over does have any right on the voice-over version.
As it happens I have wanted to have a version/copy of one of my recordings and my request has not been welcomed by my client(previous client obviously). Quite often I am asked to submit a sample of my voice/work for new assignments and I have thought that if I submit a copy of a previous recording it'd be great because it is a professional recording and my voice sounds great. But it is proving quite difficult.
Besides I wonder if voice-over produces some kind of right/loyalties depending on its use. So far I have done work related with tourism that I feel is used very often for websites or for kind of museum audio-guides. I have always been paid a rate for the time of the recording.
I live in the UK but I think this should work the same all over the world so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Jesus Marin

[Edited at 2005-01-09 19:06]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice-over rights

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »