Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 13:26
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Oct 10, 2017

I have the latest version of WordFast Pro. Every time I write a note for a segment, it is saved, I see the note icon to the right of the segment, and if I click on the notes tab at the bottom of the screen, the note will be listed. However, if I go on translating, even without closing the file and reopening it, the note is not there. It simply does not show up anywhere. I suspect that I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

[Edited at 2017-10-10 16:48 GMT]

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 11:26
Only for current segment Oct 10, 2017

Hi Reed,

Notes will show up only for the active segment if there is any. If you want to see entire list, you have to use export Notes option in Notes pane.

Thank you,

John

Reed James wrote:

I have the latest version of WordFast Pro. Every time I write a note for a segment, it is saved, I see the note icon to the right of the segment, and if I click on the notes tab at the bottom of the screen, the note will be listed. However, if I go on translating, even without closing the file and reopening it, the note is not there. It simply does not show up anywhere. I suspect that I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

[Edited at 2017-10-10 16:48 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2006)
French to English
Click on segment to see note(s) Oct 10, 2017

Hi Reed,
The notes pane only shows notes in the currently selected segment. You can use the filter bar to show only segments with notes and then navigate through those segments with shortcut keys.

Best,
John

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Why the change? Oct 11, 2017

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Reed,
The notes pane only shows notes in the currently selected segment. You can use the filter bar to show only segments with notes and then navigate through those segments with shortcut keys.

Best,
John

This seems like a really annoying and time-wasting change. I've always used the notes both for my own reference and to generate Translator's Notes to send to the client. It's really useful and time-saving to be able to see the full list of notes displayed, with their first lines, when I come across something later in the text that sheds light on a note I made earlier. That way I can quickly decide whether to alter my translation of the previous segment, or whether I'm now confident about it and can delete its note. Needing to use the filter bar to navigate through all the segments with the notes will be a real pain in the backside.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Performance issue Oct 11, 2017

Hi BD,

I believe this was changed to improve performance of the TXLF Editor (speed). Perhaps the filter bar method is not the best idea. What about John's suggestion to export the notes as a Word document. Then you can see them altogether in there. If you need to go to a segment, use ctl+G or cmd+G and choose the segment number to jump there quickly.

Best,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notes disappear in WordFast Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »