Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:45
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2021

I'd like to know if someone uses some specific method for proofreading their own translations.

I have the translation read aloud via text-to-speech while I read the original, which gives satisfactory results at least in terms of completeness and correctness (while fluency and style are taken care of in the 2nd proofreading run), but sometimes it's useful to try something new to get out of the rut.

Any ideas?

Emanuele Vacca
Tigrinya_Amhari
Maura Schettino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Font Apr 8, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

I'd like to know if someone uses some specific method for proofreading their own translations.

I have the translation read aloud via text-to-speech while I read the original, which gives satisfactory results at least in terms of completeness and correctness (while fluency and style are taken care of in the 2nd proofreading run), but sometimes it's useful to try something new to get out of the rut.

Any ideas?

Change the font, print, leave it overnight, and read the next day.

Veronica Montserrat
Fiona Grace Peterson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Josephine Cassar
Tamod

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
NEVER ask questions on ProZ Apr 8, 2021

So, Daniel, after second-guessing your client’s intentions and fudging anything that is unclear, you then fail to proofread your translations properly?!

Just kidding. Can’t beat two printouts and a ruler in my book.

And I agree with Tom on doing it the next day. Or ideally the next week.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
ahartje
Kay Denney

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My method Apr 8, 2021

I always proofread on paper both my work and other people’s work. As far as I’m concerned it’s a far better job than on screen. It amazes me how a finished translation printed on paper can reveal a lot of things that I couldn’t picked up on screen. My very last step during the proofreading stage is to read the whole text aloud: it improves the chances of noticing errors, especially missing or repeated words.

Kevin Fulton
Matthias Brombach
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Chris Foster
Tansy Tazewell

Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Proofreading twice Apr 8, 2021

I go through my translations once just after finishing, then a second time a few hours later or possibly one day later, as after a short or longer break I am able to detect even the slightest errors more easily.

Christel Zipfel
Tom in London
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Ivana Kahle
Shilpa Baliga

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
More suggestions Apr 8, 2021

Read the text aloud or read backwards, you'll be surprised what a difference these make, so simple yet so effective

neilmac

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Backwards? Apr 8, 2021

Josephine Cassar wrote:
Read the text aloud or read backwards, you'll be surprised what a difference these make, so simple yet so effective

When you say read backwards, do you mean literally backwards? Page by page, paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, drow yb drow?!

Or do you mean compare the source against the target, rather than vice versa?

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Well, it depends Apr 9, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Josephine Cassar wrote:

When you say read backwards, do you mean literally backwards? Page by page, paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, drow yb drow?!

Or do you mean compare the source against the target, rather than vice versa?

Well, I should have explained further. If your text is only a couple of pages, you can read backwards one paragraph after another or even one sentence after another ( I prefer one paragraph for the flow)but if your text is several pages long, clearly, you can't do that. I then suggest only reading backwards those paragraphs/sentences which do not sound quite right. It might seem strange at first but it works. For longish texts, I prefer reading out loud though, or reading backwards only parts where I have doubts.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Glad that I'm not the only one Apr 9, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:
I have the translation read aloud via text-to-speech while I read the original

I just wanted to say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing this! And I agree that it helps to ensure completeness and correctness, while I personally deal with syntax, fluency, and style with a target-text-only proofreading run.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:45
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
What file formats? Apr 9, 2021

Emanuele Vacca wrote:
I just wanted to say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing this!

I've been doing text-to-speech checks for many years too, but so far I've found an effective solution for Word files only.

But, what about other file formats, in particular those you cannot export yourself from CAT tools? As a workaround, I'm used to export to a Word or an RTF bilingual file, but it's not ideal because the text doesn't flow the same as when exported to the original format.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agreed, but not completely: Apr 9, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:
to read the whole text aloud: it improves the chances of noticing errors, especially missing or repeated words.

I (do not always) read the text aloud, but to speed it, mainly only the articles, verbs and pronouns (and sometimes the whole sentence, but rather rarely). The effect is the same as Teresa mentioned. I guess, that to speak (partially) what you read activates other parts of your brain and makes it more alert during these steps.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Apr 9, 2021

Good stuff. I remember using a variant of Josephine's backward reading technique in the days when spellcheckers weren't easily available, or at all.

In college, that's how we proofread our dissertations for typos, except that we did it word by word (I swear). We took one paragraph at a time and read it backwards:

... backwards ... it ... read ... and ... time ... a ... at ... paragraph ... one ... took ... we

And it did work.

I'll try
... See more
Good stuff. I remember using a variant of Josephine's backward reading technique in the days when spellcheckers weren't easily available, or at all.

In college, that's how we proofread our dissertations for typos, except that we did it word by word (I swear). We took one paragraph at a time and read it backwards:

... backwards ... it ... read ... and ... time ... a ... at ... paragraph ... one ... took ... we

And it did work.

I'll try a couple of suggestions, starting with the printouts. I guess the Amazon rainforest can withstand an extra dent or two...
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
What tool? Apr 9, 2021

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Emanuele Vacca wrote:
I just wanted to say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing this!

I've been doing text-to-speech checks for many years too, but so far I've found an effective solution for Word files only.

But, what about other file formats, in particular those you cannot export yourself from CAT tools? As a workaround, I'm used to export to a Word or an RTF bilingual file, but it's not ideal because the text doesn't flow the same as when exported to the original format.

IDK about others, but with memoQ, for example, you can select and CTRL-C CTRL-V the entirety of the "preview" window into Word.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Amazon rainforest... Apr 9, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:
I'll try a couple of suggestions, starting with the printouts. I guess the Amazon rainforest can withstand an extra dent or two...

I only buy paper from national companies which production comes from their own forests and I use two kinds of paper: a good quality paper for certified translations and a recycled paper for everything else. I also use duplex printing as much as possible.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving self-proofreading

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »